NorthWind Finally..... | SouthernPaddler.com

NorthWind Finally.....

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
After much delay everything is finally in order so I can start the NorthWind as a strip build. I have had the plans for so long I am surprised Matt has not shown up to repo them.
The boat was designed by JEMWATERCRAFT.com as a stitch and glue, but I asked Matt to redraw it for me as a stripper so it will be a one of a kind for now. Matt calls this boat the "Northwind" and it is based off of Verlen Kruger's "SeaWind".
I started by building a new table for the stiffback to mount on.

NorthWind002-2.jpg

NorthWind003.jpg

NorthWind005.jpg

I will start cutting out the patterns for the boat over the next few days. I usually take about two weeks or so to get the forms cut out and build the stiffback before you ever start building the boat. This is what you get as far as plans. Each of those patterns will be cut out and glued to plywood to make the form of the boat before applying Wester red cedar strips.

northwind002.jpg

To make something that will look kinda like this.

newboat2005-1.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I used a stiffback when I built the Freedom, But I am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages there is between building another stiffback or mounting the stations directly to the table?
On another note I was in Home Depot earlier and they had some very nice cedar. I picked up Four 3/4x8x12 and two 3/4x8x8 that are completely clear of any knots.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I used a stiffback when I built the Freedom, But I am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages there is between building another stiffback or mounting the stations directly to the table?

G'day Darrels, I was thinking the same thing.

I think your single beam, stiff back is a great idea for a kayak and perhaps even a decked canoe like this one.

Having said that, i am playing with the idea of builduing a stripper Northwind too and i will have difficulty in obtaining a single beam, that is straight and of sufficient length to do it like you have. i was thinking of mounting cross, mounting boards directly on to my bench and then set and screw the temp frames in place to it. once the outside of the hull is formed and glassed, simply unscrew the frames from the table mounts, turn the boat over and form the decks, glass them. lift the deck panels off, remove the temp frames and then glue the decks to the hull.

i think that is the way i will approach this anyway. Really looking forward to this build mate. Please keep lots of piccies coming.

Respectfully,

Mick

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Mick,
That is probably what I am going to do also. i will be hard to find a seventeen foot board that is straight. I think it also may be easier to set-up this way.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
never built nything with that technique

but, if i needed a really straight, stiff, long board - think i'd rip a good piece of 3/4" plywood and build a straight, stiff, long box beam

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got a little done this evening. Laid out the one foot marks and pulled a straight line.

Northwind1001.jpg

Northwind1003.jpg

Made up a few stations that the forms will mount on.

Northwind1002.jpg

Mounted the stations on the table.

Northwind1004.jpg

Then pulled some more string lines to make sure everything is straight and level.

Northwind1007.jpg

Northwind1006.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got a little more done to the Brazos Cruiser tonight. Started cutting the patterns for the forms out.

NorthWind1108002.jpg

I am using 1/2 inch Birch plywood for the forms on this boat. Gluing the patterns down with Super 77 Spray Adhesive.

NorthWind1108001.jpg

Boy, I sure am glad there is not one more form on this boat or it would have been tough to fit it on one piece of plywood. :wink:

NorthWind1108003.jpg

Rough cutting and sanding the forms.

NorthWind1108005.jpg

NorthWind1108006.jpg

Getting the bow and stations 1 and two set in place. Only 14 more to go. Then I can start putting the strips on. :D

NorthWind1108007.jpg

NorthWind1108008.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got a little more done to the NorthWind tonight. I finished making the stations for the forms to mount on.

Northwind1109002.jpg

Layed all of the pieces in the place to make sure I have everything in it's proper spot.

Northwind1109001.jpg

Pulled another string line down the center and started fastening forms down.

Northwind1109004.jpg

Got all of the forms mounted and just need to do a little tweeking before starting to install strips.

Northwind1109007.jpg

Northwind1109008.jpg

I have not even put the first strip on this boat, but I am already loving her lines.

Northwind1109006.jpg

I am trying to get all that i can done before Nov.29 because I have Knee surgery again and will be laid up for a couple of weeks. Same knee and same problem that I had fixed on Oct.30 of last year.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
This boat seems to be going well. I got started putting some strips on tonight. I am using Western Red Cedar on this one and I really like the way it cuts and sands.

With first strip being the most important I must have messed with them for over an hour on each side before I was happy with them. After those are placed just right it is really pretty easy from there.

NorthWind1110001.jpg

NorthWind1110002.jpg

NorthWind1110005.jpg

NorthWind1110004.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Time for a little update. Sometimes the way you visualize something and the way it looks while doing it are totally different. That is where I have been for the last couple of days. I was using Western Red Cedar on this boat and I could not find any lumber long enough to run the length of the boat, So I was having to make joints. I was not crazy about the idea of seeing a bunch of joints on this boat to begin with and the more strips I put on the less I liked it. Today i made the decision to tear all of the strips off and start over. I went by RedWoods Inc. here in Waco and talked to Greg about what he had that I could use. He could order me A grade Cedar at the length I wanted but it was pretty expensive, but he did have some A Grade Redwood in the lengths that i wanted that were actually cheaper. So I am going to have another RedWood boat. :D

Here is where I was at today.

NorthWind1110004.jpg

Here is where I was at about five minutes later.

northwind1117002.jpg

I already like the RedWood better.

northwind1117003.jpg

Added a couple of highlight strips this time also.

northwind1117006.jpg

northwind1117007.jpg

Back on track now so maybe I will have pics of progress to post.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
As mentioned in the last update I tore all the strips off and started over. I was messing around this afternoon and decided to see just how strong the joints and TiteBond II really are. They are pretty strong.

northwind1118001.jpg

As always my helper was present.

northwind1118008.jpg

Got a few more strips layed tonight.

northwind1118004.jpg

At this point in time the bow and stern strips just run wild. I will trim them to length later.

northwind1118006.jpg

northwind1118005.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Didn't get as far as I was hoping to this weekend (I turned 40 on Sat and my Daughter turned 16 today), but it is getting there. Everything is going good with no problems so far. The stern has a pretty good twist right at the end and you have to work with the strips a little to get them placed right, but no big deal.

From the Bow. I need to put 3 more strips on the left and two more on the right. Then I will start running down the middle for awhile and things should speed up then.

NorthWind1121001.jpg

From the stern

NorthWind1121002.jpg

Sides

NorthWind1121003.jpg

NorthWind1121004.jpg

This is the glue that I use. Once wood is glued up it will tear wood instead of the glue joint breaking.

NorthWind1121005.jpg

Fiberglass and epoxy has arrived from US Composites.

NorthWind1121006.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Made pretty good progress this evening. As I said yesterday I got to the point in laying the strips that I could turn and run down the center of the boat. Makes it easier to make some progress as you don't have the twists of the hull to contend with.

NorthWind1123001.jpg

NorthWind1123004.jpg

Hit one small spot just a little with a sander to see how she was going to clean up. Gonna be just fine.

NorthWind1123002.jpg

Also started doing some initial shaping on the Bow in preperation for building the stems.

NorthWind1123005.jpg