Not some normal Florida weather... | SouthernPaddler.com

Not some normal Florida weather...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not some normal Florida weather............
We had a interesting night last night here in Central Florida , Tornado warnings all over the place.

The warning siren in town was going off and on last night several times while the front moved threw the area.

We were watching TV and heard the up and down of the siren and with the heavy rain and wind could not really figure out what was going on. Then we realized it was the tornado warning siren so we switched over to the weather. At the same time the disaster control office for the county placed computer calls to homes warning folks of tornadoes and what to do.

Local radar of the weather showed twisting air masses all threw the system.
There was a big mess of dark red and orange on the map with arrows swirling around in circles forming a funnel effect. The whole mess was moving from the southwest to the north east and moving at about 60 mph.
The weather heads said some wind gusts in the area were up to 115 mph with 100 mph being the norm.

As luck would have it ( Knock on wood ) there were the twisting air masses moving across the area to the north of us , about 3 miles north. Then there were some moving across to the south of us , might of been from one mile to two miles from us.
We were in the middle with strong winds and rain coming down horizontal to the ground. We missed out on the 1 1/2 inch hail which was a blessing.
Last night was interesting and with a storm like that I was home and not camping.

Today it is nice and sunny with gentile breezes gusting up to 40 mph. :roll:
I went for my walk this morning and it was sort of breezy , at time when a good gust would come along it almost stopped my forward motion and when going with the wind it was really easy walking. Walking along with the wind I was thinking that a skate board and a small para sail might be exciting , but I don't have either of them. :wink:
The wind has not let up all day , still bowing and howling out there. 3:00 P.M. Wind speed is 30 mph and holding at it.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck you got that right. It was bad here too. Had to work in it but we hung out by the storm shelters allay yesterday. It was bad from miss all the way to fla. It was really bad in counties not too far from me where. Several lost their lives. Im not an old geezer like some of you 54 but I have never seen lightning and thundering like this let alone all the tornadoes in winter January which not much of a winter this year in my life???

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Catfish......

We had the lighting and thunder all around us as the 1st wave of the front moved threw. It was the one causing all the trouble because when the 2nd wave passed by us there was no lighting , just rain and wind. No circular air masses either.
The local news reported today that last night there was one confirmed Tornado sighting and 14 warnings of possible others but no confirmation on them.

The lighting was not that bad down here since we have some really bad summer storms and they can have thousands of lighting strikes in one of them. Some of them have several continuous strikes every minute while they are passing by.

Off hand I have to say that the trip on the Brazos in 2009 when the Tornado was moving threw , the leading edge of it had the worst lighting I have ever seen. It was one strike after the other without any letting up just continues strikes. I'm use to bad lighting storms but that one took the cake and 1st prize.

I figured Georgia got hit pretty hard since President Trump ordered Federal Aid for Georgia last night.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Actually, Chuck, the more you describe it, the more like normal Florida weather it sounds. Huricanes, wind, lightning, torrential rain. Yeah, sounds familiar.

Michigan is in a warm spell - 40s and 50s. It should be in the 20s at night, and sneak into the lower 30s in the day. That makes the sap run high in the trees - especially maple trees. We tap them, drain off some sap, simmer down about 40:1 or better yet 50:1 into maple syrup. JARVIS good eatin.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Our winter is something else.

The Maples and broad leaf trees are finally dropping colored leaves while the Willows are bursting out in the soft spring green buds.
The Cypress trees are as naked and anyone in a nudes camp , or so I have been told about the nudist's. The Azaleas are blooming and the Oaks along with the Pines are spreading there sticky yellow pollen all over everything.

The vegetation does not know if it is Winter , Spring or Fall right now. Tomorrow is a good example , Wednesday 80 - 62. Thursday 82 - 55 then a few days below 70 as a high and in the upper 40's at night.

One day we run the AC , then we can have the place open and enjoy the fresh air. The next day we might have the heat on but only in the early morning and at times the AC later on the same day.
Today it is 70 and the place is open. :?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
Actually, Chuck, the more you describe it, the more like normal Florida weather it sounds. Huricanes, wind, lightning, torrential rain. Yeah, sounds familiar.

Michigan is in a warm spell - 40s and 50s. It should be in the 20s at night, and sneak into the lower 30s in the day. That makes the sap run high in the trees - especially maple trees. We tap them, drain off some sap, simmer down about 40:1 or better yet 50:1 into maple syrup. JARVIS good eatin.
Jack,
Are you bucking the logs and splitting the firewood to boil the sap down?? Just wondering :D
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I haven't worked at simmering down maple syrup in about 70 years. My Granddad had an evaporator pan back beyond the stonepile near his sugarbush. Fresh maple sap is amazing stuff to sip. Though sweet, it leaves your moiuth feeling fresh and clean, not sticky sweet like after drinking a can of pop.