Ocklawaha River Monkeys | SouthernPaddler.com

Ocklawaha River Monkeys

skinnywater

Jun 29, 2007
Cocoa, Florida
Here is a picture of one of the Ocklawaha monkeys sitting on a log.

Anyone else have pictures of these monkeys please post.

966848962_a8ac9104f1_b.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I paddled round a bend 'n come upon 50 of 'em, but I didnt take any pichurs. Swamprat had hiz camera, but he wuz busy takin' gator pichurs. If he got any pichurs of 'em, he will likely post 'em.

I had seen a big one earlier. The High Sheriff, Dapper Al, Ray, Harry, Harry, Jr. 'n Joe had already paddled under this 100' palm tree that wuz leanin' way out over the river. Az I come to it, this big monkey got up outta the leaves 'n ambled back down ta the bank. He had been layin' there watchin' the others. They didnt see him.

I think he wuz curious ta see the High Sheriff......bein' kin. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Cashtration (n.): The act of buying (or building) a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We had a monkey like that for a squadron mascot in Viet Nam. Emmet was so used to drinking Moscow Mules (vodka & 7-UP) that when the Air Police impounded the poor little fella, he was nasty as all get out.

They were thinking of "disposing" of him. then, we dispatched an F-100F (2 seater) with the base vet and a fifth of vodka. A little of that in his water dish, and the next morning the Police declared him cured.

He'd bitten a brand new Air Policeman who thought that Emmet's Browning .50 cal was going to attack us. Breach was welded shut. When the cop started messing around with Emmet's gun, Emmet jumped him. The cop cooked off a few rounds from his M-16 right next to the hooch our bar was in. We hit the deck, and then went to see what all the hollering and squealing was all about.

They impounded him because of risk of rabies. I told them, I didn't think the policeman would give rabies to Emmet. They didn't understand good humor when they heard it, and hauled the poor little guy away screaming and kicking.

We got him back three days later.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I've been reading some documentary books of Americans trapped in the Philippines as WWII hit. They retreated into the jungle and ate up their canned food etc. As time passed, some ate monkeys.

While I've read some accounts where people had great difficulty eating cooked monkey because of similarity to a human baby, these folks in Philippines didn't say a word about it. I have a suspicion it would bother me too. Maybe not.