Ohanapecosh by gosh.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Ohanapecosh by gosh....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Draino

DON'T ENCOURAGE BEAR........ he would call it a class #1 or it might be a low rated class #2 rapid and then set up a trap ...... "O"ooops a TRIP for us ole farts to paddle down it and sure as heck Swampy would be there to try it.

Ya know thinking about it I would like to be there and watch Swampy when he saw that 1st drop......... I bet he would look a lot better with all gray hair, standing straight up , heck I will bet his beard might just be the same way.

Draino..... ya know white water paddlers are not really normal folks, they are just out on leave from the funny farm for a short vacation from when they do all of that stuff. The ones that don't make it back to the sanitarium are listed as cured and taken off the books at the sanitarium.

I have to admitt ..... it is some fun........ OK .. Back , I go for more treatments before it gets to be to bad , I have to admitt I have missed some treatments because I have been with that group of nut's. :?

Chuck.
PS. I will bet anything ole bear would call Niagara Falls as a minus class 3 rapid and Angel falls as an almost #4.

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Chuck, Personally I have no need ta get my head bashed in by some rock at the base of a 10 foot drop or get sucked into some undercut rock.

My friends used ta go WW rafting and they would do some really wild rivers. On one trip down the river my friend Eric got blownout of the boat and got sucked into an undercut rock. The rock was hollow inside and Eric spun around inside this rock a few times before being sucked back out.That was the last time they went ww rafting.

I read a similar story years ago in Readers Digest about a guy,who was under one of these rocks for HOURS.

I have been on three ww trips in rafts, one with guides in the boat with those long oars and the others with guides in some boats and kayaking guides. Once on the Youchiogheny the water was really high and we had to stop before every rapids to setup, everybody was in rafts that day nobody was allowed to rent duckies. Yes all 6 of us got blownout of the boat going down this double falls towards the end of the trip that day.

I think twice now days about doing that stuff.
Draino

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I really jest liked them pichurs. The rocks 'n the water wuz awful purty.

It aint no sense in worryin' if ya jest follow the first river rule: "If ya caint spit, dont git on the water". :wink: I learnt that one frum a fella frum Savannah, Tennessee one mornin' when we give this river over ta Alabama a try. It wuz near bout too high fer paddlin'. A gal who trimmed poodles, a geezer who jest left the army lookin' fer hiz first paddle in many years 'n anuther fella showed up at the put-in ta study on the river.

I wuz with Barry on that trip. Barry wuz one a my best paddlin' pals. Barry sez "I caint spit..............I'll be seein' ya down ta the take out". Barry always wuz real careful. A few years later he jest fell over dead walkin' long the Ft. Walton beach. We paddled a heap a rivers over the years. I'm mitey sorry we didnt git ta paddle together that day.

respectfully,

bearridge
sideways bound

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice. Unknown

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That picture reminds of a few years spent roaming the Sierra Nevada's. I learned the difference between a valley and a canyon. One, you can walk out of while upright. The other, you climb out of hand over hand.

And, I modified my compass too, for mountain use. All directions are thought of first as to whether they go up, or down. Concepts like east and west ain't as important as they are when on flatter ground.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Man! What White water! I can see Chuck now ...... ( he wears a pink tu-tu) ..... as he goes through the chutes ... <BANG!> <WHOOSH> <"AAAYYYY">
yeah that him alright .... one W W buff ..... come on let's get over there! :shock:

I wouldn't even walk along that stuff .....
swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I just replaced my wrist watch that got tore off doing the 'Tuck'...
Now what dates are we talk'n about for the Ohanapecosh? Gotta put in for vacation......

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
So far only Bro Bar and you have signed on for this suiside mission....

Remember .. our bones aren't the flex and resealable kind any more... :shock:

I waz shakin' jest look'in at those pictures! :shock:

snatch ....er ....
swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

Aint it strange how folks near bout always figger that stuff they never done caint be done? Now I aint talkin' bout shoving off onto the Tsang Po River, but I kin name a few geezers who dont see whitewater like they did last year.

If a good paddler had run the Ohanapecosh a heap 'n knew all the lines 'n set out ta make sho ya made it down without havin' yer Timex ripped off, ya mite have a chance.

The duckies some of them fellas wuz paddlin' iz more stable than the Yahoos we paddled, but they jest caint turn on a dime. If I wuz ta give the Ohanapecosh a try, it mite be a ducky fer me.

Digression Alert:

Since bout 1990 I wanted ta paddle a canoe down the Grand Canyon. I will til I die, but the year I wuz ready ta send Ole Bob Foote a check, he sez hiz canoes wuz Dagger Impulses. Jeez....I paddled one fer near bout a decade 'n folks sez I wuz jest too big fer it....took on too much water. Ya dont need that on the Grand Canyon. He didnt have no big fella canoes.

No tellin' how many hours I tried ta talk my ole paddlin' pals ta give the Colorado a try. "Okay Bear, we'll give it some thought next year, how bout some more Crown Royal". Never come about....but dont think it caint be done. I got a pal frum Jackson who went down in a kayak with a big group. He sez the water iz big 'n mitey cold, but in some ways it aint az hard az the Ocoee.

One day someone sent me a Southern Living magazine tale bout some old fellas (mostly frum east Tennessee) who paddled canoes down the Grand Canyon. Years later I wuz talkin' ta a lawyer frum east Tennessee. I asked if he ever heard a them fellas.

He sez "yep, one of 'em iz a pal of mine". We went ta talkin' bout that trip. Turns out them guys paddled near bout the same Carolina 'n Tennessee rivers I paddled.

Course, I reckon ya kin drown anytime ya git on the water. :wink:

respectfully,

bearridge
bodine college
walter mitty award

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. Bill Watterson

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bro Bar, I iz one of them Geezers who lernt a lot frum you and the white waters. It is differant from the slow moving waters of the camping that i enjoy.

It is a young persons sport... geezers have heart attacks from just thinking and looking at that stuff. Having your camping gear ( home on the road) is a big thought when desiding if ya want to run that mess and keep yer gear too.

Empty is another thing. Now I have to try it with gear. It maybe just "stuff" for the trials, but i want to see how the canoe handles and gets recovered when I do make that plunge into the foam.... warmer weather has to be present to do that.

Then too, my bones ain't what they used to be either. Medi-cade checks in, in a couple of years... wonder how many claims are from W W ? :wink:

Don't look for me in any tiny boat ..... fella told me on the Natahala that he and his sons have W W with the creek boats and he and one son's feet would get to cramped and pinched up to have fun. That would be my "sign" to quit those boats. I'd look like a grizzly astride a football in one of them.... :lol: That alone is bad for the ego .... 8)

Bailing bottle and sponge ... Look Out Below! Will have a spray skirt next time on the 17 foot Mad River ( and it loaded) .....

I bought a double holed "decked canoe" from a guy who used it to rn the Colorado. Big ideas back then, but never got to run any white water in it. He said he had a blast. He is a tiny guy compared to us over 200 pounds.

swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Swampy said:
Now I have to try it with gear. It maybe just "stuff" for the trials, but i want to see how the canoe handles and gets recovered when I do make that plunge into the foam.... warmer weather has to be present to do that.
Friend Swampy,

I kin tell ya now. A canoe fulla campin' gear aint gwine ta work in whitewater....unless ever rapid wuz strait 'n simple....no quick turns, no sudden drops. A loaded canoe jest aint no fun ta paddle in white water....kinda like drivin' a 18 wheeler at Darlington.

I figger ya'd git wet more in the standin' waves....jest like Harry 'n Ray done.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. An efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty. Eugene McCarthy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Bro Bar, I don't feel so bad about being the fool of the Tuck now........
Bro Bob has had a rough time 'tween boats and campers, all I lost was a Timex, John Cameron Swasey is fish'n that Timex off the bottom of the Tuck bragg'n 'bout it tak'n a lick'n and it's still tick'n....this 'ol goat is still tick'n but in a more humble manner......

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
A Timex watch duct taped to the bottom of a kayak. Yea, that Swasey guy did some nutty things to those Timex Watches.
Didnt he have a unique way of ending his commercials. This is John Cameron Swasey____________________-.

reliving my childhood, Draino

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
bearridge said:
Friend Swampy,

Pichurs beat words.

http://www.bobfoote.com/picturegallery.htm

respectfully,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

By God Woodrow, it’s been quite a party, ain’t it? Gus McCrae

I loved this site.... look at one of its links: http://www.bobfoote.com/picturegallery/ ... dstory.htm

Now! Ain't we a nice crew.... there are no markers fer Bro Bar back on the Buffalo ... :wink: :lol:

"There are no white waters on this (Buffalo) river."

famous last words .... :wink: There was one "falls" on the Tuck that was just shy of the one in the Salmon river report...
swampy