Old or Rare? | SouthernPaddler.com

Old or Rare?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Recently found this treasure in the wall of my house while making some repairs. It was buried under the window seal.
I know it is old because I have lived here almost 40 years and I did not put it there. It is somewhat rare because it is stamped Made in the USA. Not much made here any more. :(

Markings are hard to read but I can make out 'Robinson S.......".

Beekeeper

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Looks similar to one I found in the muck on the Allegheny River. My son soaked it in white vinegar and cleaned it up. Actuallky not a bad knife. If it is a Robiinson it was probably made just down the road from me in Springville, NY.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I had one like it in Nam. Came in a leather sheath with tie diwn holes on all 4 corners, and a whetstone in a separate pocket on the outside. Ron Smith probably had one too. Made by K-Bar, I think?

That was over 50 yesrs sgo, so it may be considered old. (Even though I'm only 35, maybe 36 years old.) Not many around now that I know of, though I don't often go to a gun & knife show. May be common, and I just don't know it. Rare? Don't know.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I could be a K-Bar issued to the Marines , I have one that was issued to me back in 65 and is in good shape , still carry it today.
The handle should be made from some compressed leather washers , yours does not have the 5 circular groves spaced out 3/4 of an inch apart on the handle like mine does and that is the only difference I can see from the picture. On the blade's left side looking at it from the handle there should be a US above the word CAMILLUS N.Y. at the hilt.
If that is not there than it could be a copy of a K-Bar

Tip of the blade to the hilt , exactly 7 inches. The hilt to the end of the handle exactly 5 inches. Unlike Jacks mine came in a plain leather sheath with 6 rivets and stitching all the way around and nothing extra. It has some darn good steel in it because mine will shave the hair off my arm when I test the sharpness.

This is not mine but it is a twin of it..........Vietnam era knife.

a-vietnam-war-us-camillus-fighting-knife-ka-bar-bowie-type-usmc-army_371520216763.jpg

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for all the input. I have learned a little more since posting. This a link to a post about the knife that shows the markings and adds some information.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... -shuredge/
I'm thinking it was my Dad's. He served in the Navy WW2. The room that the knife was in was added to the house for him and my Mama when they married. I would like to know more about it.

bee

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Folks use to bury knives for a year or more to case harden the blade,they did the same thing with frizzons on flint locks.Maybe the steel was soft and they were Harding it.
Ron
I had the same k bar you did Jack.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I still have two of the Camillus made, stainless steel, GI jackknifes in what my wife calls my knife collection. :lol: Had several more but gave them to friends over the years.

Copied this photo from the web.

3de400f68b11.jpg

Chuck.
PS. Now days I like to take with me ( camping ) one of the Victorinox , Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knifes it has everything so you do not need anything else.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Mine is a Ka-Bar from 1984 deployment at Quantico. USMC on blade under the hilt, five groove handle and Ka-Bar, globe and anchor and USMC on the sheath. The sheath is stitched and has seven staples (stainless steel) where the rivets were on WWII models. Still very sharp original edge and no rust even though it was stored for over ten years.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Camillus knives were not available at supply when we tried to get a few for the electricians. It was about the last time I saw them listed in the supply catalog.