Paddle/general wood finishing question | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddle/general wood finishing question

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I'm a newbie when it comes to woodworking. Being somewhat of an outdoors enthusiast, I have always been fascinated by "homemade" wooden canoes and paddles. In the wake of Katrina I have come to acquire (by desire and by necessity) some decent woodworking power tools. I’ve also progressed from rough carpentry to trim work (crown molding, wainscoting, etc.). I guess what I’m getting at is that any "woodwork" I’ve ever done has been covered with sheet rock or paint. :? I am completely clueless when it comes to "finishing" wood, especially wood which comes into contact with water. Which leads me to my next project…

Now that we’re back in our house and there is enough room for me to move around in the garage, I’ve started a wood working project that I can actually enjoy :) I saw this linka while back and always figured, "I can do that." Well, I gathered some scraps of wood (and a few more tools :) ) and did it:

Seeing as all I had were short scraps to work with, this paddle will go to my son :) A full length version is in the plans. Also, a link to my progress pictures

So after all of that, here is my question: How do I "finish" the paddle? In my haste to "just do it" I used Titebond II for my laminations, which perhaps is not the best choice, so the finish must be durable (rules out an oil finish?). I know that Ethan isn’t going to be too rough on the blade face, but I’d like to glass it anyway, just for the practice. Can I epoxy the entire shaft and handle as well? How would a spar varnish compare?

Thanks for your time…

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I agree with Kurt, at least oil the area your hands will touch. I use boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, it goes on all wooden handles - shovels, hoes, axes, etc.