Paddle on the Ogeechee 27 July | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddle on the Ogeechee 27 July

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Rain chances were forecast at 50 percent with scattered thunderstorm due all day so what do we do, we schedule a paddle. We ain’t scared of no rain or storms. I met up with Nancy T. at Morgan’s bridge and was just starting to pull out when a young man I knew drove up with his son and three other young men and said they were going to do the same run from Dasher’s on down. We offered to help carry some boats up for them and after picking up two more kayaks from Connie’s we were on our way. We unloaded at Dasher’s and were on the water shortly after 9 am. The water level was 1.83 at Eden so I knew we would have to hunt for water but shouldn’t have to do much walking.

The clouds that were so ominous when I first got up turned into a light overcast and the temperature was a balmy mid 80’s when we left. The younger people were taking their time loading and getting acquainted with the boats so Nancy, little dog and I cast off knowing they would probably soon pass us. We made it 2 miles before I called for the first swim of the day, maybe a new record for me. The water is still refreshingly cool and we lingered waiting for the group to catch up. They arrived about 30 minutes later and we were ready to cast off so away we went.

Birds were out today and we had a great mix, a Little Blue and several Mallards led the way downriver soon to be joined by a kingfisher. We had a single Ibis fly by and also encountered one immature Ibis later in the trip. At one point we heard a bird calling and although it sounded very familiar it wasn’t until I spotted the Osprey that I could figure what it was. Piliated woodpecker called from time to time as we paddled along and we spotted a few as we moved downriver.

A few more swim breaks, short ones, then we arrived at the Trestle for a well deserved lunch break. After swimming and eating and relaxing the other group showed up. We had spotted lots of different wildflowers on the way and I used my handy SE guidebook to look up a few in question. After a brief chat Nancy and I headed out and that was the last we saw of our young friends. The level was almost perfect, very little motorboat traffic and not much getting out of the boat to pull over sandbars. Just the way I like it.

A Great Blue Heron and a Great Heron were added to our bird list along with a couple of Cormorants. At one point we were seeing several vultures circling overhead but I got to notice a pair that didn’t seem to fit the mix. I cannot swear they were Bald Eagles without Binoculars but I was pretty sure they were. They circled and swooped at one another, that’s my story and Nancy said she would back me up. We encountered a river otter, something I had not seen for a long time on our paddles, swimming in the shallow water. He hid under a stump on the bank but was still visible as we paddled past. Westbury wanted to play with him but I didn’t think that would be good for either one of them. At one point Nancy said she heard a gator and as she backed me on the eagle sighting I said I would back her on the gator hearing.

More ducks flushed from the willows that lined the banks as we went passed but I couldn’t make out what kind they were, just quackers I guess. As the day was warming up I was calling for more swim breaks but we kept them on the short side, under 30 minutes, what a great way to spend the day! Between all the flowers, birds, otter and lots of turtles, we had plenty to marvel at along the way. Cardinal called to one and another and Doves picked up sand on the shore as we passed. There were some small birds along the banks I believe belonged to the sandpiper family but I’m not that knowledgeable on shore birds (or any others for that matter).

A Red Shouldered Hawk flew over us at one bend in the river and an egret joined our list for the day. The birds were mostly single but we saw something almost constantly on our journey. With a last swim, about a half mile from the takeout, we encountered the most birds at one time of the day. A Little Blue flew down and spooked a Egret into the air which flew down by a Great Heron. In the near distance another Great Heron was stalking the shore, what a great sight for the end of the trip. We made it to the takeout about 5 pm and loaded Nancy’s truck after chatting with Connie and leaving my boat at her place. As Nancy ran me back up to pick up my truck we saw overhead a Wood stork, making this one fantastic day for bird watching. Back to Morgan’s Bridge and I loaded my boat, talked a little longer with Connie and as I passed over the bridge, in the distance, I saw our group of young men just arriving at the takeout.

One more strange sighting as I neared I-95 was a dog crossing a field with a dead Wild Turkey in its mouth. That’s quite a dog to take on a Turkey. We arrived home and as our usual routine I unpacked while Westbury hid under the bed, knowing what was to come. I leave his rope and harness attached so I can drag him out as he hates a bath but expects it after a day of digging in the sand and mud on the river. That was the last I saw of him as he was plum wore out. I had just decided to take a little nap and finally the heavens opened up and a great lightning and thunder storm passed overhead, talk about good timing! Time to start planning the next trip……..

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Franke,

What a fine way ta start my day! Next time ya'll oughta take Miz Jane 'n Wally Cox along. :lol: :lol: Miz Bear 'n me each got a pair of Swift Sea Wolf 10x50's.....money well spent. We use 'em near bout ever day. Our birds look pitiful. It wuz 102, but the index wuz 106. Po little birds jest lollygaggin' round with their beaks open....swelterin'. Heat didnt seem ta bother the rabbits. I wish I wuz there. Sounds like ya'll wuz paddlin' at geezer warp speed.

regards
bearridge

The play is the tragedy "Man', and the hero is the conqueror 'Worm'. Edgar Allan Poe

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great report once again Franke! I picture all those places in my mind once again. Hope to see you in October for another paddle. I'll be at FSI once again it looks like.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
It's seems like it's feast or famine on our trips on the Ogeechee. Sometimes we only hear a few and other times we see everything. I leave out most of the songbirds as I can't name them. :oops:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
There have been rose breasted grosbeaks along the Au Sable the last few years. I didn't remember hearing them before. One year, Baltimore orioles were rampant for a 5 mile stretch - I saw more in one morning than I have my entire life before and since.

Osprey were present, but no more. Bald eagles are becoming more prevalent now. They were only one or two nests twenty years ago. Magnificent!

Busy-body belted kingfishers dart all around, telling me off as I pass. Blue jays crows, starlings, and ravens always raise a raucous din, no matter what. Herons complain mightily when disturbed. Robins and cardinals just go about their business and, beget Life.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Funny how many paddlers got a specialized feel fer our flyin' pals. Funny how we feel the same bout some of 'em.....blue jay squawkin', kingfisher teazin' us az we paddle downriver, the big herons standin' still az Elvis.

I wonder where our screech owls went. I am glad all the hawks (big 'n small) dont hang out here no more....caint trust 'em ta jest eat the doves. There must be a hundred Mississippi Kites here in town. What a funny squeek they make!

It aint Mister Peepers Jack, it iz Miz Jane......somethin' ta scare off evil doers 'n car salesmen.

regards
bearridge

Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.