Paddling Camada by John Depa ....Epiolgue | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling Camada by John Depa ....Epiolgue

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Epilogue:----------------------------------------

It has been time consuming, but very rewarding "posting" this trip report. While doing so, I was able to re-live my Quetico experience. During the actual trip, I used 10 different, waterproof, Fisher maps for navigation: Each one measures 22" X 28". For the past several weeks, these maps have been strewn about my living room floor, so I could make reference to them. They can now be stored away until next Fall.

After every extended canoe trip, one should take time to honestly evaluate it. What went right, and what went wrong? What could I have left behind, and what would I add? Does some of my gear need to be upgraded?, etc. No matter how many trips we make, there is always room for improvement. (Suggestions made are for an early Spring, late Fall, trip when cold temperatures will be encountered). With that in mind:

FOOD:
I can honestly say that I planned rather well, with regards to quantity. After 31 days, I only had 2 packets left, one Ramen and one Lipton's Side Dish. However, I think I can improve on the quality. To that end, I have begun to experiment with products offered by http://www.adventurefoods.com/.( Adventure foods is closed , Chuck , 2010 ) I ordered several of their pre-mixed meals and 1 pound each of; dehydrated ham, dehydrated chicken and powdered whole eggs, in bulk form. Will experiment with them over the Winter.

Note: Lipton's Side Dish(s) will still be my #1 staple. They are light weight, water proof, inexpensive (especially if you wait for a sale), and very tasty. The addition of dehydrated ham, or chicken will make them even better. Another plus, is that mice never ate through the aluminum package, while they did eat through EVERY Ziploc package, even the one containing soap.

Instant oatmeal, grits and mashed potatoes will also be a staple; as will instant noodle, and vegetable soup. They are very convenient to prepare "in a cup", and were invaluable on days when I was reduced to boiling water over a candle. Hungry Jack pancake mix, and Panni potato pancake mix will also be included. However, I have decided to eliminate the Bisquick (personal choice). Another addition will be venison jerky. I make my own, but did not set enough aside for this trip. I will next year. With that in mind, I will cut down on the number of "trail mix" packets. I feel the jerky will provide more protein at less weight. Hey, you cannot just ADD (to the pack).

One last note on food: There is nothing wrong with taking fresh meat (steak, pork chops or chicken) to be consumed on your first 2-3 days (depending on weather). Most people do so, by freezing the meat solid before launching. I would just be very careful not to allow the "juices" from defrosting meats to contaminate the food bag - bear bait!!

Stove: I should have taken one!! Primary cooking will still be over a campfire, but a stove would save a lot of time in the mornings, and could be used under the tarp on rainy days. I will experiment (again) with the Whisper Lite, and if that fails (again), I will look at one of the newer multi-fuel, single burner models. Stoves that use disposable canisters are prohibited.

Cookware: I used a 6" SS pot, with a lid and folding handle. No problem at all with that. It is just the right size and has served me well for 10 years. However, the frying pan was a problem; too heavy and did not have a folding handle. Have recently ordered 2 new frying pans to experiment with: GSI, "Extreme" anodized aluminum - 10" model; and an Evernew, nonstick titanium - 7.5" model. Both have folding handles. "At home" tests will determine which I will use.

Lighting: I was not at all happy with the (2) flashlights I carried. Went through 4 sets of AA batteries and never did have enough light. Both of those flashlights are in the trash. I have since bought a small (4"), waterproof LED light (WallMart) and a larger Halogen one. In addition, I have ordered an LED headlamp, Petzl Tikka Plus. Will evaluate each and make a determination for the next trip.

Clothing: I think I need to upgrade to some of the newer materials.

Shirts: The flannel, and chamois shirts I wore are heavy and, once wet, take forever to dry. I think fleece might be a better option. It would cut down on weight (spare set of clothing), provide the same, if not more, warmth and dry much faster. However, I will not part with my wool jacket, which provides a certain amount of warmth, even when wet. Down filled vest is a must, both for warmth vs. weight and to serve as a pillow at night.

Undershirt: I did take 3 sets of the new poly (??) long sleeve undershirts, and they performed admirably. Kept me warm and actually did "wick away moisture", as stated in the ad. I could notice the difference, as opposed to a cotton T-shirt.

Pants: I need to upgrade here, also. I just had regular cotton work pants. There is a saying up north, "cotton kills", because once wet, cotton is dangerous in cold climates. Maybe fleece??

Socks: I am satisfied with the high quality wool socks that I used.

Hat: I should have carried a wool, or fleece, pullover cap. Would have been very welcome on cold paddling days and also for sleeping on cold nights. I own several, just did not bring one: I will next trip!

Gloves: The only pair I brought along were lightweight - absolutely worthless. Next trip, I will carry both a pair of waterproof Gortex gloves, and a pair of Neoprene ones.

Raingear: I LOVE my Gortex!!

Boots/shoes: An absolute necessity the boots be waterproof, and at least 12". I wore a pair of Viking, fleece lined, rubber boots. I have owned these for 10 (?) years, and they have served me well. However, on this trip, I had two problems; perspiration on hot days and, once wet, they take forever to dry-out. There must be some new Gortex alternative?? I will also carry a pair of (very) lightweight shoes, to wear around camp. I bought a pair while in Atakokin, but never really got a chance to try them out, because the weather turned nasty.

Tarp: I use a http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/ tarp.There may be a better one on the market: If so, I have never seen it: And I have paddled a LOT of miles over the past 5 years. Bottom line: "I would not leave home without it".

Tent: I used a Eureka, Back Country model. I owned one previously, and liked it so much that I bought the same exact model, after the first one (literally) wore out. However, this is a 3-Season tent and really not suited for the rain, snow and low temperatures that I encountered. I have since ordered a Bibler, single wall, I-Tent. Will evaluate that when it arrives.

Canoe: I think my Mad River independence is very well suited. However, by re-glassing, and adding thicker thwarts, it is "right on the edge" (57 pounds) of being too heavy for me to portage. I will look at some of the newer models, in Kevlar. Might even consider building a lightweight cedar-stripper.

Miscellaneous: With the exception of some first aid items, and the spare compass, I used everything that I carried. There is really nothing that I can afford to leave behind. Since my rip took place in the early Fall, I did not carry insect repellent, or sun screen. One, or both, of these would be a MUST earlier in the year.

Hope this series has been of some help. Writing it has enabled me to begin planning for next year. I WILL return to Quetico!

DocMobius

Aug 25, 2003
Wasola, Missouri
John

Thanks for the trip reports on Quetico. They have been very informative and all around just plain good reading. I have put the post into word and printed it for reading again later.

Chuck, Thanks for posting John's trip.

This string of post will be hard to top, as I have enjoyed them and couldn't hardly wait for the next post.

DocMobius

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Doc

John takes out every year and has fun for about 1/2 of the year. His report on the Everglades (on the ole forum) was priceless.

John wanted to do this trip report as a e-mail but I told him I would post it on here for all of us to enjoy. Besides I have always wanted to do it and now I have a feeling that I have. I am sure it will create a lot of interest.

Hank Hayes has done the Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon and unfortunately we lost that information when the old forum went down. Hopefully Hank will re post it. White Water and rafting.

We have a lot of folks that do a week or weekend trip and they post it ...so we can enjoy it with them.

Gives us something to think about and then look forward to doing. Plus it is a darn good information base where to ask questions. :D

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Koodoos to you Chuck for posting John's account!
All these reports ( day through month trips) keep the dreams flowing and the ideas nurtured. To all that hold a paddle and look beyond the bow for the next bend, I salute thee!
swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend John,

That wuz some swell tale telllin'. I know everbody iz grateful ya tole it here. I been waitin' fer a chance ta do some tecknikel advizin', but the only boats I ever built wuz outta paper. [They wuz okay fer hats too.]

Listenin' ta ya'll so much, I'm near bout full a campin' learnin'. Picked up some paddlin' learnin' too. There's still rite smart I dont know bout both even though I'm bout az highly educated az ya kin git frum the Bodine School where I gradiated wid all the honors. [Ya gotta pay extra fer 'em.]

I seen rite off it wuz plum brilliant ta see what ya done wrong, so ya dont do it agin next time. [Course I reckon bein' dumb kin hurt when ya slap dab in the middle of nowhere.] Now fer advizin'.

It may take a while fer me ta review all the dumb stuff I done in a canoe 'er campin' trip, but I cut down on the dumb stuff quite a bit.

Day 1

I got cold purty often. Three 'er four times I near bout went hypothermal. By 'n by I got a short pants wetsuit, but I looked like Jon Bon Jovi....at 87 after eatin' a heap a grits 'n cheese 'n taters etc.

I wuz losin' most a my heat off my head, so I started keepin' it warm wid a Chili Head hat made by some folks up in east Tennessee. [Chattanooga?] Its real thick polartec wid a string tie under chin. Covers yer ears, but ya kin fold it up too. Rite there ya kin keep purty warm. Brite colors 'n patterns.....kinda like a hippie VW drove by Ole Ken Kesey.

I like them polartec tops too. Real lite, dry quick, dont bind yer shoulders. A lightweight shell on top 'n you will likely be warmer'n toast less ya blow out. Even if ya blow out (that's anuther area where I know a heap) ya kin jest git warm off body heat....even if ya stay wet.

Digression Alert: I never wore a heap a rubber suits 'n stuff paddlin' cold water in cold weather cuz back when me'n Kahuna 'n Swampy wuz trim 'n slim I run a lot.....not fast, but purty dang far. I learnt how much heat a body kin make if ya movin' round purty good wearin' only a shell 'n some wickin' clothes.

I never read bout yer bandana. I reckon ya jest fergot ta mention it. Its good fer stoppin' yer neck frum turnin' red, blowin' yer nose, sling, impressin' the ladies, etc.

Day 2

I wuz kinda surprized ya wore boots. I wear river sandals over wool socks 'er neopreen socks. If it wuz likely ta snow I'd wear 'em both. My bare legs iz okay down ta round 25 'er 28. River shoes iz good fer rocks 'n traction so ya dont bust yer butt. They git wet, but I never had a cold foot problem. Boots iz mitey heavy too. In camp ya kin pull off the socks 'n walk round in the rivers shoes. [Mine cost $10 frum Mister Sam Walton's store.] I got some neopreen gloves, but my hands aint never been cold enuff. I figger they'd be swell ta warm yer hands if they got cold.

Yawn.....well, this aint excitin' like cookin' a dog 'er findin' the northwest passage. It wont be long til I remember some more dumb stuff I done but dont do no more.

Speakin' bout Poodlles wid Noodles, I don't figger ya carried enuff food ta keep a full growd fella hittin' on all cylinders. If we come join up fer the next expedishun, reckon we kin hire some fellas ta paddle a raft fulla food? Mebbe they kin hide a trollin' motor...like them navy seals? They could also set up camp which would leave more time fer.....nitecaps 'n such?

Last thought. I kin see how ya had ta tote all them noodles 'n stuff over the hills, but I figger once ya done that the canoe wuz itchin' fer some rapid runnin'? Like ya said, all yer gear wuz gwine ta stay dry. If ya didnt want ta git yer other clothes wet 'er lose yer boots, git naked 'n walk back ta the canoe. In fact, mebbe next time ya should take some paint?

thanks agin fer all the good readin'.....I saved it 'n read it all at one time,

bearridge

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bar, what an artistic review! Now I iz sav'in yeruns too!
Th' wet suit haz had mah eye fer a spell... keeps them thar nawthern river temps way down...
An' I think ya hit th' nail on th' head desrib'in yer hat an' mine...
John iz gonna go south fer th' winter... paddl'in over to one o' them thar islands er such south o' me.... gonna lay back he saiz... :wink:
Waiting on yer day 3 Bar!
swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Thank you fer the kind words, but I wuz up late last nite 'n fergot some. [I wuz tryin' ta help Miz Bear find out more bout her Dad who looked jest like Glenn Ford 'n got in a big fight over ta Sicily in 1943.]

Anyway, on expedishun I figger ya kin take two polartec tops, one a vest. They dont weigh nuthin'. I usually dont ever need more than a vest 'n my arms swang free. Bottom layer iz capilene 'er the smart wool Miz Bear bought me two years ago. Free arms iz likely real important when ya git naked, paint yerself up 'n run the rapid ta avoid boat tote'n.

Back when "Outside" wuz my favorite readin' magazine they sez yer tent needs ta be brite colors so ya wont git sad if ya gotta stay inside too long.

Reckon John wore a life jacket very much?

regards,

bearridge