Paddling Canada by John Depa ..Day 24 & 25 | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling Canada by John Depa ..Day 24 & 25

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Day 24: Wednesday 10-1

It was a long, cold, wet night: Woke at 6:15 AM, before daybreak. Lit 2 tea-lite candles to warm up the tent and boil some water for a cup-o-soup. Outside, the ground is covered with a light dusting of snow. Not enough to build a snowman, but enough to make me a bit concerned. I am still a LONG way from home; should we get a really bad snowstorm, the portages could be treacherous. The word "survival" comes to mind. Decided to empty the Boundary pack for inventory. I have enough food, rum and cigarettes to last 8 days; I hope to be back at my truck in 6.

Decided to skip the morning fire and try to cover some miles today. Shook the snow off the tarp and began breaking camp. My fingers are really cold, and I am beginning to be concerned with my hands: They are badly chapped, cracking and sore. I also have a minor injury on my left hand; Got it while breaking firewood a few days ago. A splinter of cedar punctured the web between my thumb and forefinger; Got really hard and sore. I have a prescription ointment that I apply before bed and I use a gel called "Bag Balm" during the day. I think it was originally designed for use on cow udders, but the hunters in PA swear by it.

Took awhile to break down the gear because I had to warm my hands, often, by putting them inside my wool jacket. I had a light pair of gloves, but they caught fire one night while I was drying them. Went into my pack and got out a pair of heavy wool socks, folded them back and made a pair of "sock mittens". They really worked, especially when paddling against the wind.

Note: Next year I will carry a pair of Gortex gloves. Will also bring a wool pullover cap. The only hat I have on this trip is a "Southernpaddler" cap (the black one), which does not cover your ears.

Paddled across Darky Lake to the point where the river continues. It narrows, once again to 20-30 yards. Several short portages were no problem, but the long one (182R) had complications. The trail follows close to the river, and a beaver dam flooded a 50 yard section. While carrying the gear, I climbed (crawled up) a steep slope, edged my way along and then dropped back down to the trail again. Could not take that same route with the canoe, so I carried a paddle back with me. When I reached the flooded section of trail, I launched the canoe and paddled (polled) up to where the trail resumed. Was not east getting the canoe in, and out, of the water. The bottom really took a beating. It now looks like a zebra, with the old white gel coat showing through the new graphite epoxy. That one portage took almost 2 hours!! Reached Brent Lake in 3.5 hours, for a total distance of 3 miles. I think I will bypass the Darky on any future trip.

Brent is a "lightning bolt" shaped lake of about 9 miles. Wind was at my back (it's about time) most of the time; Covered the entire lake in 3 hours. I trolled part of the time but did not get a hit. Weather was "on and off" but got mostly sunny, late in the day. Decided to keep going and "jumped" the 2 short portages (18 & 4R) into McIntyre Lake.

Once on McIntyre, I spent 1/2 hour looking for a "charted" campsite, that I never did find. Paddled down about a mile and located an "uncharted" site, really a nice one: Plenty of firewood and facing the sun. Set up camp, made a batch of cocktails and spent an hour fishing with worms from shore (I couldn't believe they were still alive). No fish, but a nice way to end the day. Was also pleased at having covered 13 miles.

Sunset was spectacular, bright red. There is an old sailor's saying: "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the 'morn, sailor's be warned." I hope it's true, I can really use a bright, sunny day.

Campfire was a real treat and I ate both a Lipton's Alfredo and a packet of Ramen. Also made an extra ration of vodka cocktails, and stayed up late by the fire.

Day 25: Thursday 10-2

Slept late this morning, didn't get up until 8:30 AM. Thermometer reads 40 degrees and the sun is shinning (it's about time!!). Made a fire for tea, a pot of Knorr vegetable soup, and a pot of water to take a (short) sponge bath. Didn't launch until 10:30 AM.

First leg of today's journey is 3 miles (south) down the lake, to a cove leading to the next portage. My landmark is a point with two small islands just off of it. Wind in my face (naturally) so it took 2 hours to reach the point. Turned into the cove and located the campsite indicated on the map. The portage is supposed to be just across from the campsite. I spent 1/2 hour looking for it, with no luck. There is supposed to be another portage, into a different lake, just behind the campsite. Looked for that and only found a stream. Followed that for 200 paces, and could see no end in sight. Went back to the campsite and had a cup of tea. Really nice site!!. Looked over the map and located the only stream on this side of the lake, which made me realize my navigational error. I had turned into a cove 1/2 mile before I should have. Puzzling part was, this cove did not show the campsite where I was sitting?

Paddled/trolled the quiet cove and then rounded the point, into the wind again. Was just ready to reel in the fishing lines when one got a hit - big fish!! My first thought was a huge pike. Fought it for a good 5 minutes and finally landed a nice 23" lake trout. I had lost a lot of real estate in the process, but it was worth it. Paddled over to the little island and filleted the trout on a flat rock. Got 2 large fillets, that I cut in half so they would fit in the frying pan. Going to eat well tonight!! Launched the canoe and headed down to the next cove, which I hoped was the correct one. Had not gone 100 yards, when a bald eagle landed on the little island to claim the trout carcass.

Turned into the next cove and, sure enough, there was a campsite at the end, and a portage just across from it. Map indicates that the portage (24R), would take me into Sarah Lake, which also runs south for 2 more miles of paddling against the wind. It was only 2 PM, but I seriously considered going back to that nice, "uncharted" campsite. Decided to walk the portage just to check it out. First part was easy, but the last section is the longest, steepest set of rocks I have encountered. I would rather not negotiate that in the morning, when the rocks would be wet. Walked back, got my gear and made the 2 carries, very slowly. A trip/slip going uphill is not too bad, but one going down a slope this steep could be disastrous; Might even cost me my life. The slope was so steep, that the stern of the canoe was constantly banging on the rocks behind me.

Note: Some math major should be able to determine the angle of incline (decline) using my height, and 1/2 the length of the canoe. Use my height, 5' 9" as the vertical side of a right triangle; 1/2 the canoe length, 7' 10" as the other leg of the triangle, forming the 90 degree angle (an inverted, mirror image of an "L"). The angle of the hypotenuse would be the angle of the slope I climbed down.

By the time I finished the portage, into Sarah, the wind had shifted to SW, and was off the starboard bow. Took on a little water, and my right pants leg got wet, but I finally made it to the narrow cut that was my destination. 2 miles had taken me 2 hours of hard paddling. Rounded the point, to the leeward side, and spotted a campsite. Pulled in and checked it out. Really nice site and even had a stack of "split" firewood neatly stacked. Decided this would be home for the night, even though I have only traveled 5 miles today. Set up camp, paddled over to the other side for a canoe load of firewood, and relaxed with cocktails the rest of the day. Trout fillets (dredged in Hungry Jack) were delicious. I ate 3 and saved the third for dinner tomorrow night.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Andrew

I had the same question and asked John about it ..... He with held it because in it he admitted to wearing a southernpaddler hat on the trip. :wink: I told him that all it would do is improve his looks like it does for me...... John and I need all the help we can get. Me more then John. :lol:

Anyway he sent the 24th to me so I could post it.
Chuck.