paint problems | SouthernPaddler.com

paint problems

skiwright

Mar 7, 2009
Creola Alabama
I finished my UJ Perogue today and launched for sea trials. It paddled great and the kids loved it. My only problem is that the paint that I used on the inside rubbed off in spots where water puddled and the outside pulled off like rubber is some spots. I used the 100 % acrylic latex exterior paint that UJ recomends. I used high gloss on the outside and I think that may be the problem with the peeling. If anyone has any ideas on what I did wrong or how to fix it let me know.

Thanks
Tom

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Tom, latex paint dries really quick, but actually takes longer to CURE than oil based paint. It takes as long as 7 days for latex paint to fully cure.

Joey

skiwright

Mar 7, 2009
Creola Alabama
Joey, Thanks that might be my problem. I painted the inside last wensday and have been putting coats on the outside up until last night. I just could not wait to put the boat in the water. Maybe one day I will learn patience.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Latex is probably better for wood because it gives and stretches with the wood. It stretches a little too much for the first few days. :)

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I agree. I've had decent luck with porch paint, but it definitely takes a while to harden up. Try putting it out in the sun once it seems dry. That seems to help.

George