Patitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos | SouthernPaddler.com

Patitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Hello..KAHUNA HERE!!
My first recipe post in a long...long..time!!
It is a Puerto Rican Recipe for "PIGS FEET STEW"
Called "Patitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos"
Whenever I cook pigs feet(mostly for Polish Recipes)
I always simmer for about a half and hour then pour out the
water, add fresh water then bring to a boil and simmer
for another half hour then do it again!! Simmer..drain....
simmer...drain!! :lol:
Then add water and simmer until done per recipe!
It takes most/much of that gamy taste out!!
You will notice one of the ingredients is "SOFRITO",
I buy mine at a local Hispanic Grocery store..it's cheap!!
But you can make your own. I found a recipe for it if
you can't find it already made, or just want to make it yourself!!
I discovered it by chance and it is wonderful base!! I put it in
my version of Red Beans & Rice!!! The recipe for SOFRITO
is posted below the PIGS FEET STEW RECIPE!! :shock:
Now the recipe!!!

Patitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos(Puerto Rico)
Ingredients
2 1/2 lbs. fresh pork hocks or pigs feet
6 cups water
2 cans chick peas (garbanzos)
3 tbs. olive oil
***1/2 cup sofrito
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 chicken or beef bouillon cube
1/2 lb. butternut pumpkin of your choice
2 small potatoes
Directions
Cut the meat into pieces and put them (pork hocks or pig's feet) in a large pot.
Add the water and boil on moderate high heat for 2 hours or until the (hocks) or pig's feet are tender.
Heat the olive oil in a deep pan. Add sofrito and the tomato sauce and sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add to the pig's feet (or hocks), the drained chick peas, the bouillon cube, the peeled pumpkin cut into pieces and the cubed potatoes. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
Tips
Serve over white rice with a side of tostones. (Fried green plantains)

SOFRITO!!!!!!!!
"Sofrito" is the base for most Puerto Rican dishes, and this one is better than store bought (difficult to find in the stores in the Western United States). This can be added to beans, rice, soups, stews, you name it."
Sofrito Recipe
INGREDIENTS

* 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
* 1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
* 10 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed
* 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
* 4 onions, cut into large chunks
* 3 medium heads garlic, peeled
* 25 cilantro leaves with stems
* 25 leaves recao, or Culantro
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon black pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a ziplock freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.
FOOTNOTES
Recao is a popular Caribbean herb with many aliases. Among them, Culantro, long coriander, ngo-gai, and Mexican coriander. It may possibly be found in Latin grocery stores, or substitute with cilantro.
Aji Dulce is a common ingredient in Puerto Rican recipes. It is a small, sweet red pepper. If you can't find it, use red bell pepper.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.pso.siu.edu/emonitor/issue11/AH5MikeB.html
"Grab your pigs feet, bread, and gin,
there's plenty in the kitchen.
I wonder what the poor people are eating
tonight?"
Albert J."Fats" Waller

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Ain't sure the boss will let me bring pig's feet into the kitchen. This may have to wait 'till she is out of town.

So this is like a soup - ?

George

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Like a Soup- stew
Tell you what........feel free to not use the feet....hocks would be okay...
even just cubes of pork that has been browned first. :D
KAHUNA
gbinga said:
Ain't sure the boss will let me bring pig's feet into the kitchen. This may have to wait 'till she is out of town.

So this is like a soup - ?

George

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Geez Mike......You bring back the memories! I remember my coal miner Uncles and Granfather. They would come in after a night of social interaction at one of the clubs and munch down on pickled pigs feet! Sucking the meat, fat, and more fat right off the bones. Of course these guys would mix tomato juice or put a raw egg into their beer! :roll:

Pirogue

oldyaker said:
Geez Mike......You bring back the memories! I remember my coal miner Uncles and Granfather. They would come in after a night of social interaction at one of the clubs and munch down on pickled pigs feet! Sucking the meat, fat, and more fat right off the bones. Of course these guys would mix tomato juice or put a raw egg into their beer! :roll:

Sounds like my Dad.

He would wait until right before the best game of the season, usally a Browns game, and cook the pig's feet in our old blue stock pot. Then he would put the feet and jelly into apple shaped bowls. The next day he would watch the game and chow down the meat and fat from those things.

Not to offend anyone, but I never aquired the taste. Maybe that's why he disowned me. :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
http://manlygrub.com/?p=80
http://tinyurl.com/y89vttl
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_094235759.html

http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/pickled-pigs-feet-recipe.html
Pickled Pigs Feet Recipe
Recipe Ingredients:

6 – fresh pigs feet, split in half lengthwise
2 – red chile peppers, fresh
1 – medium onion, chopped
2 - bay leaves
2 – tablespoons salt
1 – teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 – tablespoon mustard seed
1/2 – tablespoon coriander seed
1/4 - teaspoon cloves
sliced ginger
white vinegar
water

Cookware and Utensils:

2 – 1 quart jars with lids
1 – large stainless steel pot
1 – slotted spoon

Recipe Instructions:

As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients.

Use fresh pigs feet for the best results.

Prepare 1 quart jars for the storage of the pigs feet. Each jar should be thoroughly cleaned to a sterile condition.

Give the pigs feet a good washing. For presentation purposes burn off any hair that you observe. Yes pigs grow hair on the toes and feet just like humans.

Place pigs feet in large pot and add enough water to cover the meat. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook pigs heat until tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Stir throughout the cooking process and remove any foam that forms in the pot.

Remove pigs feet from juice using a slotted spoon. Rinse meat under hot water to remove scum and excessive fat. Remove as many bones as possible to ensure your pigs feet will fit into the 1 quart jars. Also rewash your pot in order to cook the pickled vinegar.

Now it's time too make your pickled vinegar. First, pour enough vinegar in the pot to cover the pigs feet. Next add onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and 2 slices of ginger root to the pot. Bring vinegar and ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes of simmering add the pigs feet back to the pot. Bring to a full boil then turn off heat.

Using a slotted spoon remove each pigs feet from pot and place in a jar (three feet to each jar). Pour the pickled vinegar over the pigs feet and seal each jar.

Refrigerate sealed jars for 3 to 7 days be eating this delicious snack. If you’re feeling adventurous try pickling eggs, sausage or pigs knuckles.

I'm sure you'll love the results of this pickled pigs feet recipe. Boy this is some good eating.