Peace River 2-27/29 | SouthernPaddler.com

Peace River 2-27/29

Pirogue

Peace river Feb 27-29

4:30 am and the alarm clock sounds. I load up the cooler and head over to Kevin's and pick he and his gear up. But, on the drive over, there is a light mist and a bunch of clouds. I am thinking it was foggy out.

From Kevin's, I drive over to pick up the other fellas paddling with us. Jason (fresh from Iraq) and Pete. About 5:30am we are heading down I-75 for breakfast in Ellenton before we head out to Arcadia and the Canoe Outpost.

The weather, not too good looking. After the breakfast, I am driving east to Arcadia and it is just not clearing up. It ain't fog. The weather is just a damp, dreary grey funk. But of course the weatherman says it will be wonderful and we figure by mid morning, the sun should burn off the nastiness. About a half hour later we arrive at the Canoe Outpost.

It is about 7:30 am and the outpost isn't open yet. So we are just milling about the truck, checking gear, repacking a bit and just getting ready to go. Next to us a small pick up pulls up and 2 older gents get out. “GOOD MORNING! ITS A GREAT WEEKEND TO BE ON THE WATER, HOW YOU BOYS DOIN!Â

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
What a weekend Pirogue!
You can sure spin a great story from the river! I hated it that ya didn't get to go on with those boys... sigh
I'm gonna send my notes to ya and have ya "flesh em out" as good as your stories!
Ya'll did good collecting everything that fell out. Getting them warmed up was the best thing ya did! Bravo!
Yer ventures are top notched! Wished ya could have made the St Mary's run .... then I'd have sum backin up when I reeport on Chuck and hiz ventures! :lol:
swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

That wuz swell. It iz mitey hard on the rest of us waitin' fer the paddlin' weather. Glad this trip didnt have no scairy parts.....cept fer folks blowin' out 'n high water 'n gatherin' up gear.

regards,

bearridge

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Pirogue great pictures! Nice short grass along the banks where ya camped. I thought Florida had some short grass sites! :lol:
Of a difference, the St Mary doesn't give ya much choice about whether to go under a tree or over the top. The current and the wind dictated that for ya. :lol:
swampy