Peanut Boiling Time again | SouthernPaddler.com

Peanut Boiling Time again

islandpiper

Well, the redskin peanuts are in again in Tangipahoa Parish. My first batch is boiling right now. Mmmmmm, fresh, hot, boiled peanuts with cayenne and some pure sodium chloride. Doesn't get much better than that. The big, fat, white peanuts will be in later.

Just little bits of heaven, pre-packed in their own containers.

piper

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Redskins are my favorites. 8)

My mom told me that my dad loved boiled peanuts. Seems odd to me since we never had any. I'd like to give them a try. How do you go about boiling them? In shell, or shelled? Details, please! :?:

Mike

islandpiper

bilgerat.......pretty complex process. start with fresh (green) peanuts, put them in a large cookpot and cover with water........add salt till it is about twice as salty as ocean water and a nice spoonfull of cayenne. You decide what spoon to use. Cover, bring to a boil and cook at a medium boil for about two hours.....or longer. Then i let them sit in the cooking mix till they cool. Like everything else, there are lots of ways to achieve success. But, it is easy to undercook them and hard to overcook them.

Drain, store in the fridge in zip lock bags. Sit out on the porch with a bag of these and beer after work. yep.

These come in cans at the Wynn Dixie, but they are pricey. Walmart has them in retort bags, even more expensive.

good luck!!

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I read the other day that boiled goobers are actually healthy for you. I elected to go eat a cucumber instead. Mayhaps, one fine day, in the land of Oz or Land of Looze, I'll sample some of them. Are they good with mudbugs?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Are there recipes using these? We never see green peanuts up here. I'm wondering if the Thais boil peanuts too; they use peanuts a lot. They have some ZESTY food that would bring tears to the eyes and sweat to the brow of the webbest footed Cajun in captivity.

(The latter is a circus attraction here abouts)

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Kayak Jack said:
Are there recipes using these? We never see green peanuts up here. I'm wondering if the Thais boil peanuts too; they use peanuts a lot.

Did a google search for "green peanut recipes", didn't search far into the results, but seems most of the hits were for "boiled peanuts". Did find one for Spicy Asian Pork with Green Peanuts (has fish sauce, so Jack you will love it).
http://tinyurl.com/67rqg8

Found a recipe from Paula Dean from the Food Network, surprised me to find that she did not use any butter. :lol: She has a great recipe for one pound of homemade butter, start with two pounds of butter.......:lol:

Also seems that you could swap out cooked green peanuts for beans in some recipes, not sure if there would be a cost savings for any body who doesn't live in the South tho.

DM
mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, DM. WHY didn't I think of Googlizing it??? I'm form the older generation and the new habit just hasn't sunk in very far yet, I guess. Again, thanks.

Now, when you mention beans, I'll bet that some edamami (SP?) recipes could be swapped ot for boiled peanuts? Green soy beans.

Boiled peanuts being a simple staple, and Dave Wallace's charcoal kettle being a simple cooker, there may be some crossover here?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I worked with a girl a few years back and she brought some to work and was bragging about how good they were. She told me you either love them or hate them. She loved them and I'm afraid I'm of the opposite persuasion. They just had an unpleasant texture to them of an undercooked red kidney bean (closest description I could think of).

But I do love roasted peanuts. The" sittin' on the back porch with a bag of em and a beer" still applies. :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
I worked with a girl a few years back and she brought some to work and was bragging about how good they were. She told me you either love them or hate them. She loved them and I'm afraid I'm of the opposite persuasion. They just had an unpleasant texture to them of an undercooked red kidney bean (closest description I could think of).

But I do love roasted peanuts. The" sittin' on the back porch with a bag of em and a beer" still applies. :)

I'm with you , Boiled Peanuts are mush , roasted are "O" So Good.

Out camping I get one or two of the BIG Bags of the roasted in the shell ( No Salt ) to have on a trip. Then I have then to share and snack on around the campfire. Most of us shell them and toss the shells in the fire , one person actually ate the shells and all. My bet is he eats Shrimp in there shell , not even thinking about Oysters or Lobsters. :oops:

Name withheld to protect the goofy/mentally imbalanced one. Claimed it was good fiber. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Not to change the subject but to stay with beans or nut's.

Honestly Jack ... Green Soy Beans ... Where do you think TOFU comes from. It is the best part of the Soy Bean and can be used in a lot of ways by good cooks. Just about everything can be made from it or with it if you know how when cooking
Heck it is almost as good as Grits ... I said .. Almost. Both are high in nutrition and low in fat.

No Nut's or Tofu here tonight , the state , retirement check came in , with the % of increase for this year in it ... it's some Fred Flintstones sized Porter house steaks on the grill ( the butcher cut for me ) with all the trimmings fer supper.
We is eating high tonight. Man do those steaks sure look good an they ain't even cooked , I hope the grill can handle them , I know I can. Some roasted Vidalia Onion , shroons and smashed taters , corn on the cob , fresh green (snap) beans an a cold brew , I will be sleeping good tonight.

I hope pups comes in and rolls me out of bed in the morning so I can cook my Gritz an eggs. :D ( the wife would let me sleep , pups hates to miss his breakfast )
He learned a long time ago , let the wife sleep and stay out of her room , her cooking is not that great. What can I say ... he likes good cooking like me.

Chuck.