Pellet pistol | SouthernPaddler.com

Pellet pistol

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
I love that gun and the single cocking aspect but it is more than what I want to spend on a Yak gun be wet and nasty a lot of the time
Chuck
I had a Benjamin 177 for long time till it was stolen. good little gun. I have been out of airguns for a long time so I am way out of touch with what has improved . Do you have any thoughts on the single break guns they are faster and quieter than pumping . What do you think of the crossmans.
I would like to keep it around a c note or in that range. I grew up in south Texas and have killed many a rattler with a slide action daisy that had extra heavy springs put in it.
Thanks
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I will us my Benjamin Franklin 22 cal (model 132) pump up for critters , it has worked good in the past and the present so why change.

Besides I am not one of them high priced folks who work in suits and $60.00 ties while shuffling papers around like some folks (the name has been withheld to protect the guilty) Nope for me it is a leisure suit and a clip on tie or better yet some jeans and a Satin nickeled (customized) Browning High Power tucked in the jeans.

You know ... Just what every working stiff needs to make the crooks behave along with a custom pair of Smith & Wesson , engraved , handcuffs.

Now that I am not working but retarded , it is what I had as a kid and enjoyed the most , the BF 22 cal , model 132.

Crossmans are darn good , have one myself in a 22 and you do not want to know all the years it has been good to me. Just boils down to what do you like.

Chuck..

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Hi Ron
.45ACP will cure anything. Love'em. That would be a bit extreme. Almost any of the shotshell rounds would work well. If you have to shoot them shotshells will do fine. Go to a pawnshop and get an inexpensive .22 revolver. If you can get ratshot, that would work or one of the subsonic .22 rounds. Good luck with your search.
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Wannabe
I am gun nut already from .17 to a 454 with reloaded shot shells for most of them, but there are places that 45 going off might upset some folks and firearms get enough bad press as it is, and I need a new toy lol. Boy going to stir up hornets nest here. Hate autos I have a 45 apc but it is a s&w Stainless 625 will dot your eye at 50 meters shots better out of box than my gold cup after 2,000 dollars worth of work on it.An auto is the most accurate the first shot you fire with it then starts going downhill from there as slides wear and parts get looser.revolver doesn't do that.The only autos I like are fixed barrels like the Ruger mark v and one more the S&W model 52 it has different barrel locking mechanism. Shot pistol matches for a few years so guess I am pretty opinionated.
Ron
Boy I am going to get hammered over this :roll:

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Air pistol

Chuck dropped me a PM that someone had an airgun question. I'll take a shot at an answer, but first allow me to ask a few things and make a few observations.
You hinted that the gun might spent some time in a wet bilge. Would you do that to any of your target grade guns and expect them to maintain their accuracy? Being of almost all brass construction, most notably the barrel, that requirement points to either Benjamin or Sheridan multi-pump pnuematics or CO2 guns. Neither of which are big fans of water and silt. Either make of either operating principle would be up the tasks you pose otherwise. Since I'm not familiar with their current production that might also make a search for a good classic part of the equation.
You also intimated that the sound, or lack thereof, was a critical factor. If so then you have already made one decision. A spring powered pistol will be the quietest of the 3 operating principles---spring, pnuematic or CO2. The P-1 that bearridge suggested is a very accurate gun with enough power to be deadly on snakes when used properly. But spring-piston airguns, pistols particularly, are the most difficult of the 3 to shoot accurately on a consistant basis.
You also imposed a limit of @ $100. You stated that you are or have been a serious pistol target shooter. I'm not at all certain that you can buy the accuracy you want at the price point you impose. It's the age-old question to new paper-punchers, "How much accuracy can you afford"? Because in that respect air pistols are no different from powder burners----the accurate barrels cost more.
If you don't mind elaborating on your expectations after reading my somewhat bleak word picture then we can take a better informed shot at a viable pistol that will meet your needs----tho the under $100 limitation may not be feasible.
As with firearms everything comes with trade-offs and I'm not deliberately being hard-nosed----just trying to present a realistic pic of some of the advantages and disadvantages inherent with the 3 types of powerplant and make a few observations that someone who likes accurate guns can relate to in a realistic fashion. Tom

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I've seen only one rattler in my years of paddling around the Great Lakes territory. He swam right on by. They're around in a few places, just not visible in most of them.

I do see, though, many small game animals. What is called a "pot gun" (like a .22 to get meat for the cooking pot) would do 90% of what needs to be done. Muzzle bark is a concern, therefore, I consider a small crossbow.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
TRR, could you consider one of the cross-bow pistols? (Has added benefit of using curare tipped arrows for jet-ski drivers.)

And it's a heck of a lot quieter than a B-40 or LAW (light anti-tank weapon) rocket when it hits that jet ski.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Tom
I appreciate your message
I think I will probably buy a crossman pump in 22 cal for the money seems like the best gun. I don't think I made myself really clear on what I expected
! the wet environment kayaks have been known to turtle and water dripping of off paddles .
As far as the hundred bucks that is just a ball park figure.
The noise factor was when there was a comment about a 45 with snake shot. I do not need it deadly quite just reasonably quite
Accuracy needs to hold quarter size group at 5 yards plenty good for a snake head(dang I wish I still had the Daisy 747 ) It cost 50 bucks from shotgun news and would hold a 1/4 in center group all day long at 10 meters.
Ron
Ps why is a spring gun harder to shot

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bought a Pump up 22cal pistol
Got to use it this morning
The misses has a lot of bird feed and squirrel feeders in back yard as we were drinking coffee this morning looked out the back onto patio
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh a big field rat eating out of a feeder blood came up to a boil I was on the hunt :twisted: One shot 15 yards dropped him little pistol shoots pretty good I think it will do a good job in the Yak
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

That iz some good shootin'. Fifteen yards, open sights, pump up pellet pistol, dead rat. :wink:

The fella at the Sky Cafe company in St. Louis rolls ever time I order more bottom trays for our feeder. The cost $15 each. I have bought 5-6. I dont hit the top 'n I havent hit the middle section (holds the seeds) 'n done enuff damage ta need a new one......but I use a heap a duct tape.

I shoot with a scope @ 18 yards. But then I have fired 2,000-3,000 pellets at evil doers on my feeder tray.

Have fun.

regards
bearridge

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. Unknown

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
The fella at the Sky Cafe company in St. Louis rolls ever time I order more bottom trays for our feeder. The cost $15 each. I have bought 5-6.

I shoot with a scope @ 18 yards. But then I have fired 2,000-3,000 pellets at evil doers on my feeder tray.

One of these days he will quite killing bird feeders and hit the critters.
So far you are one for one and Bear is 0 for 3,000 :roll:

Chuck

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I Cheat
I built the bird feeders so they are wood, smiling, my moma didn't raise no fool a little dense maybe but no fool.
When I build something around the house I want it to work ,look good, and lasttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.
I be lazy about honey do's
Ron