Philippine banka boats ... | SouthernPaddler.com

Philippine banka boats ...

kengrome

Nov 15, 2006
Philippines
Some of you asked me for Philippine banka boat photographs. I don't have any of my own at the moment, but the ones I found and posted on this page are great examples of Philippine bankas. The first one in bright red is not a very common color, but the others are typical:

redbancate.jpg

charter_pic2.jpg

island-hopping-l.jpg

golden-sun-l.jpg

boat.jpg

claire1a.jpg

6.jpg

Here is an interesting set of pictures (not mine so I hope the author doesn't mind my posting them here) illustrating the way Philippine banka boats are constructed and launched these days ...

banca01.jpg

banca02.jpg

banca03.jpg

banca04.jpg

banca05.jpg

banca06.jpg

banca07.jpg

banca08.jpg

banca09.jpg

banca10.jpg

banca11.jpg

banca12.jpg

banca13.jpg

banca14.jpg

banca15.jpg

banca16.jpg

banca17.jpg

banca18.jpg

banca19.jpg

banca20.jpg

banca21.jpg

banca22.jpg

banca23.jpg

banca24.jpg

banca25.jpg

Here's the home page of the author of this last set of photos:

http://www.banezville.com/boat.php

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks like a very seaworthy boat! A family could travel, live, and fish in that boat. Polynesian design influenced them some, I'd guess. Those outriggers add a lot of stability with little drag.

BTW, a semi-interesting book about mankind, Guns, Germs, and Steel, explores the world - and your part of it - quite well. You might be interested in it. A bit ponderous, but real nuggets can be mined from it. Heavy - but strongly informative - reading, check it out of your local library if possible.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Hi there, Ken;

Looking at these shots you've got here has me wondering and asking myself "what it would take" questions.

Fact the missus walked by and caught me looking at a couple of the build shots a bit too close for her comfort and just automatically told me 'Maybe...in a couple of years' just knowing I was gonna say something about finding out the consttruction details. She's been with long enough to spot that "gotta build me one" look when she sees it.

I do so LOVE building thing outa wood......

Sheena's Dad

I knew I'd missed out on something not getting a Wespac when I was in the Navy :(