Piro in the water | SouthernPaddler.com

Piro in the water

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Well, people, I finally got a chance to put the piro in the water and spend about 45 minutes paddling it. I took it to my buddies house on the shore of Braddock Bay State Park, which is about 7 miles west of where I live. It is a bay off of Lake Ontario, where I live. It is protected from the winds that keep the lake so rough. As you recall, I had a very difficult time trying to launch in the lake with the high waves. Last sunday was the first day that I have had off in three weeks, so I went over to Bob's house to use his boat ramp to launch the piro.

IM001335.jpg

I do not have a cartop carrier yet, so I just put it on the roof and strapped it down. My buddy was working on his snowmobiles and has already taken his boat lifts and boats out of the water for the season. There are snowmobiles on the trailer behind the car. Bob was tuning up his snowmobiles for the upcoming winter season when I arrived at his house. He has six snowmobiles, so he stays busy in the winter. Last year was not a good year for snow in this area, but he is hoping for more this year. And if that isn't enough, he has six boats that range in size from an alum cartop, two 20 footers for fishing in the bay and a 26 footer for the lake and a large party barge. Oh, and a fiberglass canoe.

IM001339.jpg

This is as close to this piro that my wife will ever be because she does not like small boats. She gets very nervous in a small boat because she cannot swim. She even hates to go in our neighbors 40 foot sailboat!

IM001340.jpg

The wind was blowing about 30 MPH from the west on this day, but because we were on the west side of the bay, we were protected from the worst of it. You can see the ripples out in the water and as long as I stayed in near the docks, I could maneuver OK.

IM001344.jpg

Heading upstream(south) towards the local canoe and kayak rental store. The Braddock Bay State Park area is very popular on the weekends. There are about 2000 acres of marsh and waterland and it is protected. Every kind of waterfowl you can imagine live here, plus there is a bird raptor area run by the locals. This is one of the best fishing spots in the area. The Bay empties directly into Lake Ontario. Go to www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24428.html for more info on the bay area.

IM001352.jpg

Bob's dog Jake wanted to go along but I told him that there were no freeloaders and that he would have to do his share of paddling. Dog paddling, of course!

IM001356.jpg

Met a couple of ladies and they thought that the piro was really beautiful and wanted to know all about it. Wow, a chick magnet! Great idea, building boats, why didn't I think of this years ago??!!!!

IM001363.jpg

It feels stable enough to stand in, so I am going to make a pole to use in the shallows. The opening in the reeds in the background goes way back in the marshy area and eventually ends up in a small village (about 10K people). The distance is about 2 miles by water but only about a mile by road. The branch that I am on goes back only about a mile into the warsh area. The main part of the bay (to my right) is about 1/4 mile wide and goes directly into the lake.

IM001381.jpg

My wife helping me to take the piro out of the water. I didn't have time to do any fishing and am still working on making a platform to place across the piro to hold two rod holders and my fish finder.
So, I finally got to take it out in better weather conditions than the first launch. It paddles almost effortlessly and since I added a keel, it tracks straight as an arrow. Turning takes a little effort because of the keel and I may reduce the size of the keel, once I have a little more time to see how it handles.

The one thing that doesn't show in these photos was the big grin on my face! Or hear the sigh of contentment as I looked at the piro floating on the calm water. Damn, it floats and looks really good from a distance! A close up look reveals a few mistakes and drips and runs in the resin, but that is OK because that is what gives a boat character and I am only going to use it for fishing, so a work boat does not have to be perfect. Thanks to all of the people on this forum, I have something to be proud of.

I think I have acquired the boat building sickness because now I want to build another piro over the winter, but make it out of 1/8 ply and correct all of the mistakes I made on this one. And then in the spring, I want to build a Swamp Girl or Laker from Matt's plans.

Oh and every boat should have a name and I have decided on a name for this one. This piro is going to be called "The Helen Isabelle". I think it is only fitting that I name it after my mother, otherwise I wouldn't have had the opportunity to build this piro.

Thanks everyone for your help, ideas and support.

JC

(jim)

[/img]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JC. Looking at the pictures as I scrolled down I was wondering if the folks in the kayaks were going to say anything or paddle over and look your pirogue over.

There is something about a wood boat that always draws attention and I bet they had to drag the fact out of you that you built it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The lake looks like the perfect place for the pirogue and it sure looks good on the lake. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend JC,

Nice lookin' boat. I see ya got some good pals ta enjoy it 'n a shuttle bunny. I like 'em too. Hard ta git good help these days. :wink:

regards
bearridge

A census taker once tried to test me.  I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.  Hannibal Lector

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Chuck & Bearridge:

Thanks for the comments. The pictures are actually of the bay and not the lake. The lake is about 1/4 mile north of where I put in. If you go to the website in my posting, and locate Braddock Bay on the map, my buddy lives on the west side of the bay right where the spit of land sticks out from the mainland.

Bearridge:

You will notice that all of the photos were taken from shore and not from the end of the docks. My wife has an aversion to the water, as I explained earlier in the post. My wife has only been in the water once, for a swim, in all the years that we have lived here. She spends a lot of time on the beach behind our house but only for sunbathing. Oh, by the way, if she saw your label (shuttle bunny), she would be very upset, she is much younger than I am( 16 years and another generation), and she wouldn't see those comments as funny. She has been liberated. (We should never have given them the right to vote, now they take all kinds of liberties!) She even wears pants now!! Of course, she has never visited this forum and doesn't understand the Geezer mentality here. She has 15 men that work under her (she is second in command at a custom tool & die shop) and she can be one tough lady to work for.

BTW, I offered to take her for a paddle in the piro, but she declined. Even the offer of my PFD wouldn't convince her to get in it!

Speaking of the wife, I was gone all week to Toledo, OH (unfortunately, I still have to work to pay the bills) and got home on Friday night and was promptly handed a "honey do" list. I have only been home two days in the last three weeks, so the list was as long as my arm. At the top of the list was new display easels for her Christmas stuff. Her old easels were pretty beat up from years of use.

IM001387.jpg

So, off to the local Lowe's for 6 pcs of pegboard and some paint. I ended up using left over wood from the piro build for the legs. Now, if I could figure out what to do with 30 pcs of leftover PVC pipe. So, needless to say, I didn't get to go fishing today. But I am planning to be on the water
tomorrow, weather permitting.

JC

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend JC,

I put a good shuttle bunny rite up there next ta mechanics 'n doctors. Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw iz my chick magnet.......he iz lookin' fer a gymnast/nurse. I may cut back on hiz rations if he dont quit suckin' hind tit. I used ta teach little pardners ta swim.....a few who had jest got the hang of walkin'. It aint hard. IIRC, the YWCA gives lessons. I sho hate ta hear of anybody missin' out on paddlin' cuz they caint swim. What if we send the High Sheriff up yer way ta show her the ropes? He kin take her out paddlin' so she kin watch 'n learn ta dog paddle. :roll:

regards
bearridge
bodine swim team

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one.  Tom Paine

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one JC. I don't know how I missed this post.
Those are some great pics of an awsome looking boat my fiernd. that looks like a great place to paddle the pirogue. Great work! :wink: