pirogue for duck hunting | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogue for duck hunting

delmar

Aug 11, 2008
Maryland
I am about to build my first pirogue. I have the UJ kit and also the plans from the Cajun Connection (Bill Ray). My primary use is for duck hunting the marshes of the Chesapeake Bay (Md). I am 5-10 230lbs my dog is 65lbs and a bag of 18 decoys. What do you all think would be the best length and bottom beam to start with? Is there a give-and-take between having more stability (beam) and less performance (speed)?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Using the 4th rib in a UJ Pirogue will widen the center of the boat and give you more stability. From paddling with the guy's who have done it I would say there is nothing lost in the paddling speed.

The ones in the 4th rib boats paddle right along with the three rib folks but you have to remember , we were not racing , just enjoying life.

All the boats were the standard 15 1/2 foot UJ Pirogues.

Chuck

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Welcome aboard Delmar!

I paddle round the local swamps and lakes looking at the ducks I used to be allowed to shoot,

DSCF3721023.jpg

and think of how a UJ pirogue would be ideal for it.

I would be inclined to go for the 4th rib job as Chuck has said.

You will be carrying over 300 pounds and the extra beam will be a very good thing in my opinion.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
The first pirogue i built for duck hunting was the 6 hour canoe. I was disapointed with the carrying capacty although it was fine for a solo boat but i don;t have a duck dog. The bottom width on that boat is about 25 inches. I built the second one using what I learned form the first and ideas from the UJ plans and it has a 29 inch bottom width. I increased the carrying capacity by quite a bit I think. I am much happier with my second boat. It is not hard to get accross the water specially when i put a 27 pound troling motor on it's butt. :D probably the fastest boat on my local electric motor only lake.