Pirogue heavier than expected | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue heavier than expected

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Sparky, I definitely ain't no Yankee. Years back me and the wife went to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. One of the tour guides was saying something like " In the South, we do this and in the South we do that ...." I told her "Lady, this ain't the South. We got on a plane and flew 1100 miles NORTH to get here. WE'RE from the South."

Joey Dupre' (Check out the accent on the end of my name. Cajun, through and through. )

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Sparky, I definitely ain't no Yankee. Years back me and the wife went to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. One of the tour guides was saying something like " In the South, we do this and in the South we do that ...." I told her "Lady, this ain't the South. We got on a plane and flew 1100 miles NORTH to get here. WE'RE from the South."

Joey Dupre' (Check out the accent on the end of my name. Cajun, through and through. )

All I can say ......... BLESS YOU. :D

That is like when the lady ( after they ripped me off) in Canada asked me when I was coming back ... I can't say what I told her but it sort of boiled down to , You can bet this %&^$#@$ area will never see my &*(&^%#% posterior again.

Which is unusual for me , I'm usually happy and care free but in this case I don't care for that area at all. :evil:.

Chuck.

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Jdupre:

I weighed my UJ piro today and it weighs 57 lbs. 15' 8" at gunwale. 4 ribs plus inside chine. My first build - it is 3/16" ply. My next one will be 1/8" ply. Only glassed the inside and outside seams, I did not glass the entire bottom or the inside. Three coats of resin on the inside and outside. If I had glassed the inside and outside, the weight would be up in the upper 60 lb range.

JC

(Jim)

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
oldsparkey said:
Ready to paddle ..... My boats would weight somewhere in the 300 to 350 pound range , 209 for me and then the seat , paddle , camping gear ...."O" Don't forget all of the water and food.
Chuckles.

And do you count the weight of the rain water? That half full boat must be more than 400 pounds! :lol:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
First off your boat looks great jdupre' You done good on dat der pirogue! Congrats and happy paddling!

Since we are throwing stats around! My pirogue wieghed 45lbs at 15.0' long with 3 ribs, front and rear decks front and rear grab bars inside gunwhales and glassed fully inside and out. I used 1/4" oak plywood and light wieght dry pine for the rub rails and inner gunwhale. I used most of the 1.5 gallons of epoxy and also did the grafite epoxy on the bottom. I tried to build strong but kept weight in mind always and was suprised she came out pretty light with all the extras. I suppose an extra 6-8" of length would put the boat over 50lbs but I knew it was going to be only myself lifting the boat and wanted to keep it light. I would deffinitly attempt a boat with 1/8" ply fully glassed and think it would ba at least as strong as 1/4" ply only taped on the seams and probably a lot stronger.

here is a pic

P7060020.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
And do you count the weight of the rain water? That half full boat must be more than 400 pounds! :lol:

Beers Buddy ... "O"ooop's ....Bears Buddy and your shadow (Jack)

I will have you know all of us use the Pirogues as bath tubs when paddling , now if the rain water fills it then we have a good bath and come out as clean as a whistle with silky smooth skin. Smoother then a school marms leg as Jack would say.
Since it is sweet water before the bath and even sweeter after the bath we use some of it to make the coffee ( don't need to add any sugar) and to boil the grits in. Waste not - want not. :roll:

"O" By the way the boat weighs less when filled with rain water , all the camping gear is in dry bags so they float and take that weight off the boat.

If the Pirogue is as nice as cctyers then we just use something we think you or Jack would paddle in , Ya know something that looks like a bathtub with a ring around the top.

Yep, I had a feeling there was some Constipation ...."O"ooop's ... Conspiracy between BB and Jack on BB's Post. Heck Constipation would never have anything to do with those two , they are to busy spreading it around. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuckles

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
cctyer, that's a sweet looking boat. It looks like a piece of fine furniture. I used every bit of the length of two sheets of 1/4" ply for the sides. I searched through quite a few sheets until I found two sheets with perfect corners. That extra length translates into extra nails, extra glue, extra paint and varnish--it all adds up. But I love it . Paddles very easily. That 6.5 mile trip Sunday was all paddling- no current at all, and I was not sore at all.

Joey

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the compliment jdupre'

All that really matters is how you like your boat. It seems like everyone makes them a little different. That's the beauty of the pirogue. I love seeing all the different versions. If you put in 6.5 miles with no current and are not sore then you are ahead of the game.

We would love to see some trip pics if you got em. Sharing is good! 8)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
CC, I started dropping hints for the camera this Christmas. Real subtle like " Honey, you saw this sale on cameras? That would make a nice gift for someone." I have no shame!

Joey