pirogues ? in Nepal ? | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogues ? in Nepal ?

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
If it walks like a duck........., & Looks like a duck.....
The way the sides are cut, I am surprised it still has so much rocker, I guess that is caused by the wide beam?

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The text states this was a project to introduce planked boats to replace the indigenous dugouts and allow improved fishing methods on the lakes. The program started in 1977 training the locals in boat-building using plank and frame construction.
One resembles a Cape Cod dory and the skiff is a design that shows up all over the world. It looks like they took practical and straight forward designs from all over the world.

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
Yes, this is true. As well as establishing water safty, load limits, and advising for a regular inspections. The recording of measurements, molds, strong backs, and detailed stems are great. Every thing you need is here for the adverage builder to be able to reproduce a time tested and straight forward boat. And should be able to due so with modern methods and materials available at the local hardware store, or order on line. The smallest just reminded me of the pirogue my dad built in New Iberia. I use to duck hunt and run the crawfish traps out of it.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
My first pirogue was built from a plan in Sucher's Flat Bottom Boats. Just used plywood covered with glass instead of the planks he showed--and I reduced the size to 8/10ths of the original. .8 x.8 x .8 reduced the capacity to about half of the original boat. Some days I'm sorry I sold it after 15 years of use. The plan was based on a 100 year old boat found in Louisiana.