POCKET FARMING | SouthernPaddler.com

POCKET FARMING

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have a couple of plastic flower pots, semi buried in a flower garden. One is about 10” in top diameter, the other is about 18”. The smaller one now has ssge planted in it. In a couple of weeks, I’ll plant sweet basil in the other one. Both of these can propagate and continue to be there for years.

Don’t be concerned about me being able to manage this project. i’m taking delivery of a 200hp John Deere tomorrow, along with 4 bottom plow, a 12’ disc, and a 18’ spring toothed drag. May have o get a $500,000 combine too?

These pieces of equipment are, of course, toys that I’ll get from a local store.

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It seams the gardening bug is going around this year. I wish someone had a vaccine for it so things would be simpler around hear. At lease my sore back would feel a lot better.
I ( at the wife's suggestion ) guess I should say ... We have two above ground planters. They will be our garden this year. Bush Beans ( snap beans ) English Peas , Icicle radishes , Kohlrabi , Cherry Tomatoes for a summer crop.

Been having a lot of fun mixing , Peat Moss , Black Cow manure , Mirical Grow potting soil , Organic Top Soil and Perlite together making the bed for the vegetables to enjoy while growing.

I have to give the wife credit , she is a good foremen and advisor in all of the construction and soil mixing processes. Apparently that makes it a group project.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Is manure from black cows better than that from, say, a red one?

Everything is better from a Black Cow. Even the drink " Black Cow " which is made with Vanilla Ice Cream and Root Beer. ;)

If I could get my hands on some of the Peat ( Muck ) we had at the old place , vegetables would grow like wild fire. It's some rich black soil and anything we planted in it grew twice as fast as something in the normal ground. Back then it was where you would find Celery growing there , makes for a good crop. This area was considered the celery capital. Even the local bank had a 8 foot stalk ( not real ) of celery by it's name.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It is, I think, a uniquely fulfilling and satisfying activity to grow things. To have the faith to commit a “seed in hand” into the ground, in hopes of a larger reward in the future, is a true faith in Nature. It is also a lesson in delayed gratification. Since ancient man pretty much lived in the moment, it was almost certainly women who had that faith and patience to first plant a seed into the ground, and not eat it?

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
It appears to me "farming"/gardening has evolved down a similar path as boat building.
Cultivate ground with sticks and stones = dug out construction.
" " " shovel and hoe = metal hand tools/plank construction.
" " " tiller/tractor = power hand and shop tools/plywood with fasteners construction.
Filling buckets/raised beds with bags of potting soil = stich and glue.

Probably a lot more similarities. Time sure changes things.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Now, those are some interesting insights, JD. I hadn’t thought of it that way.

I did add three peppermint plants today. I plan to dry some for tea leaves.

Change usually struggles forward in starts and fits. Sometimes reversing, sometimes sidestepping, supposedly trying to move in a direction hoped to be “forward”. That is known as evolutionary progress.

Sometimes, change occurs all at once - BANG!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Out by the back porch and the walk way in from the gate you will find two very large Terracotta pots with two rather large Rosemary plants. By the north side of the porch and just outside the door are a couple medium sized Terracotta pots full of Mint and over from them a couple with Aloe plants in them.
Rosemary for cooking , Mint for Drinks , Aloe for cuts , scrapes , burns and anything else.
No trouble trimming any of them back , the neighbors are more then willing to help by getting a handful of whatever they need at that time.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Does growing mulberries in a bonsai pot count?
unnamed - 2021-04-12T182408.574.jpg