POLISH KAPUSTA

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
This is comfort food for me. Kahuna

Polish Kapusta

1 large onion, chopped
1 large head of cabbage, shopped
1 large can sauerkraut(drained and rinsed)
1 large can tomatoes, chopped
8 slices bacon
1 1/2-2 pounds of kielbasa
salt and pepper to taste
garlic to taste
pinch of sugar
Fry bacon and set aside. Saute onion and garlic until brown in bacon
drippings. In a large pot or Dutch oven, add onion, garlic, cabbage,
sauerkraut, tomatoes, garlic, crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and enough
water to cover. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours(adding water as neccessary). Cut
kielbasa in 3-4" chunks. Add to kapusta. Simmer for 1/2 hour. Cool and
refrigerate. Reheat the next day. Wonderful served with thick slices
of dark bread.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Kapusta Polish for "Hunter's Stew" (I think). Love it. I remember my In-Laws made it for Thanksgiving. Their recipe included "Barley". They cooked it for about 2 days. Every cat within miles was at the doorstep. I'll have to try your recipe. I've got their Old Church Recipe book, I'll have to look it up. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Now I get it, that's where I get it from (I too am "Cherman"). I love Horseradish. Never too hot (is there such a thing?). The WIfe & I drive places crazy. We only order "straight" horseradish....You can keep the Mayo. Not a Nasal Hair in my Head!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We used to grow and grind our own horse radish. Cured our bacon & hams. Made kraut each fall.

A little over 60 years ago, Mom was grinding fresh horse radish one early summer evening. I had been out on the porch, swatting hell out of June bugs flying around the porch light. (Not much for entertainment in those days.) I came in, hooked the screen door, walked innocently over to a bowl on the table, and took a DEEP whiff.

HOLY COW!! BANG!! KA BLOOM!!!

Right inside my head! I went right back out through the screen door - never bothering to unhook it.

Cough snort wheeze gasp - - and more of the same. Dristan never worked THAT good.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This morning I was mixing up a Bayou Blend of spices and marinating some tofu in some of it to turn it into tofu jerky tomorrow. (Jacks favorite snack)

This afternoon I am making a Polish supper, POLISH KAPUSTA. I have no idea what I am going to be doing later but it will be something interesting , I am sure of that.

Chuck.
PS. Got to go and nail the sheets on the bed to the floor for tonight. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt

All I can tell you is that it is something darn good ... No , I take that back ... It is Dam Good. :D

I made one mistake when cooking it ...... I only used one pound of the kielbasa , should have used 2 pounds.

Off to the grocery store in the morning to get that other pound of the Polish Kielbasa to add to the left overs ( what little is left , the wife and I went thru half of it ) :roll: . I am betting it will be even better tomorrow night after it has a chance to let the flavors mingle.

We will definitely have this some more here at supper time in the future. "O" A good loaf of some French bread with garlic butter would not hurt anything. The broth would make some great sopping juice for the bread.

Chuck.
PS. I am thinking this would be a good supper for a group of guy's on a river bank when you are camping in the same spot for two nights..with six guys there would not be anything left.
You might say ..... Dutch Oven will Travel and Cook.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I am betting it will be even better tomorrow night after it has a chance to let the flavors mingle.
Fellas,
It aint many things ya cook today that ya oughta eat before tomorrow.
653.gif

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. Anonymous

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt

I took a large pot, got it ready and after chopping the onion up, diced up 5 large sections of the garlic. When the pot started warming up I put in some bacon fat ( from the cooked bacon) and an equal amount of olive oil.

When it was hot then in went the chopped onions and garlic, keep moving them around till they were almost transparent and at this time added a tea spoon (Or there abouts ) of sugar.
Worked it around for a few minutes, took the pot off the heat and with a paper towel removed some of the cooking fat and oil from the pot.

Added the tomatoes, rinsed and re rinsed the kraut ( I used the normal size can) then put it in, chopped up the cabbage and put it in .. Added four of the tomato cans of water to the pot and let it come to a boil, as the cabbage (a large mound of it) cooked down I keep mixing everything together after salting and peppering it.

When everything (The Cabbage ) was down in the pot the bacon bits were added and the heat was reduced and a little more water was added to cover everything.

I let it simmer for about 2 1/2 hours ... then added the Kielbasa and stirred it again .... Let it go (simmer) for a good half hour and then enjoyed supper.

Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Sounds Good!!

Sounds like you did it right! KAHUNA :D

oldsparkey said:
Matt

I took a large pot, got it ready and after chopping the onion up, diced up 5 large sections of the garlic. When the pot started warming up I put in some bacon fat ( from the cooked bacon) and an equal amount of olive oil.

When it was hot then in went the chopped onions and garlic, keep moving them around till they were almost transparent and at this time added a tea spoon (Or there abouts ) of sugar.
Worked it around for a few minutes, took the pot off the heat and with a paper towel removed some of the cooking fat and oil from the pot.

Added the tomatoes, rinsed and re rinsed the kraut ( I used the normal size can) then put it in, chopped up the cabbage and put it in .. Added four of the tomato cans of water to the pot and let it come to a boil, as the cabbage (a large mound of it) cooked down I keep mixing everything together after salting and peppering it.

When everything (The Cabbage ) was down in the pot the bacon bits were added and the heat was reduced and a little more water was added to cover everything.

I let it simmer for about 2 1/2 hours ... then added the Kielbasa and stirred it again .... Let it go (simmer) for a good half hour and then enjoyed supper.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
PS. I am thinking this would be a good supper for a group of guy's on a river bank when you are camping in the same spot for two nights..with six guys there would not be anything left.
You might say ..... Dutch Oven will Travel and Cook.

Let me see If I can picture this in my mind..........Six Geezers camp in the same spot for two days...........eating nothing but cabbage............
861.gif
Something seems really wrong about this.....................
eck28.gif