1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Paddles

Discussion in 'Making your Own paddles' started by beekeeper, Jul 20, 2012.

1. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Used some more discount cut off boards for practice, befor investing in good wood. I like building these things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beekeeper

2. stickbow

stickbow Well-Known Member

Nice. The ones with different tones on the feathering from shaft to blade (like the third from left in the top photo) - did you laminate another layer or laminate on a blade, or is it just the lighting?

3. beekeeper

The blades and shafts are made from a 3/4" board, with another strip laminated to the shaft. I did this to make the shafts thicker than 3/4". The shafts finish out 1.25" thick X 1" wide. Without the added strip they would be 3/4" thick X 1" wide.
    The third and sixth ones from the left are pine with a cedar strip. The others are cedar blades and shafts with pine strips.
    I don't have a better picture of the one you asked about, but this one shows the strips better.

[​IMG]

The strips are different lengths, but I was not trying to build a matching pair, just experimenting.

beekeeper

4. Wannabe

Wannabe Well-Known Member

Bee,
    Looks like you experiment just fine.
    Bob

5. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

WOW, Grampa! - which one is mine? Nice job.

6. BEARS BUDDY

BEARS BUDDY Well-Known Member

I'm still available for adoption and unlike Jack, I am already potty trained.:mrgreen:

7. Kayak Jack

That was cold, Ger. You hurt my feelings.

8. beekeeper

You boys probably need a paddle, but I don't make those kind. I'm too soft hearted. :lol:

Paw Paw beekeeper

9. BEARS BUDDY

BEARS BUDDY Well-Known Member

Jack, he knows us too well. :mrgreen:

10. Kayak Jack

Grandpa's getting mean. Time again to put Preparation H in his toothpaste tube.