Prep for varnish | SouthernPaddler.com

Prep for varnish

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
The latest granddaughters UJ is ready for varnish. We have always painted their UJ’s, but this girl worked hard to keep a good wood finish. We have scrubbed it with water and Dawn, using a scotch brite sponge. My question is, what does it need before varnish? An acetone wipe down? sanding? I really want this to be good experience, hence the caution.

Good Fish’n
Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
One can (almost) never sand too much, or too fine. (Karate Kid, "Wax on - wax off!")
Sanding with a medium grit all over, then a fine grit all over, then wash/wipe off dust and let dry thoroughly. Then varnish with thinned varnish and let set. Sand with very fine grit and revarnish.
Repeat varnishing and sanding and varnishing until satisfied. (Note: I tend to get satisfied a lot quicker now than I did a few years ago.)

Others will have different, meticulously detailed protocols for her to follow. That'll work too.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I recommend sanding until you think you have the finish you want. Then, apply a sanding sealer suitable for the finish you are going to apply. The sealer will help seal the porous parts of the wood, and raise the "whiskers" on the wood. Then, you sand lightly with a fine sandpaper, wipe down the dust and varnish.

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I do the same as the guys mentioned.
Sand lightly then wipe the boat down with a clean cloth ( Normally and old worn out "T" Shirt. Then varnish it. Next step is to repeat the process.
The sanding roughs up the finish and you can see where the varnish is and where it isn't when you varnish it.

DO NOT Use MIN WAX Varnish , it will peel in a very short time after getting wet.