Pumpkin Soup for Wannabe... | SouthernPaddler.com

Pumpkin Soup for Wannabe...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
"Hiya Yak,
If you could get that pumpkin soup recipe from your Mother and put it the recipe section I bet a bunch of it would get made. Know I would try it.
Bob"

OK Bob..........I didn't forget ya.....here it is from mother. Remember I said there would be no exact amounts or cooking instructions....

***In a bowl, combine a couple of cups each of milk and cream, about half each. Also in the same bowl put in maybe about 3 tablespoons of flour....OH!! And and egg! Do not forget the egg! Beat well.

***In a pot bring around two quarts of water to boil and blend in some Raleigh chicken stock base. Or just bring to boil about 2 quarts or so of chicken stock. Have shredded pumpkin or any aquash ready to toss in when it starts to boil. When it boils, let it boil about 15 minutes.

***In a sauce pan, place around 4 tablespoons of butter and some shredded onion. Saute' it and set it aside.

***Turn heat off under the chicken stock pumpkin mixture.....pour in the milk/cream mixture stiring the whole time.....NOW LISTEN TO ME!!! YOU KEEP STIRING IT THE WHOLE TIME!!! YOU DON"T WANT IT TO CURDLE!!! Tahn stir in your butter onion mixture. Now, take about 2 tablespoons or so of white vinegar and dtir in or to taste. Season as you like with salt and pepper.

Good Luck! :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I can hear Granny telling this. I hear her voice, see her finger wagging a warning, hear the newspaper crackle as she refolds it to another page in readiness. My god it comes with the territory of being a Granny.

I can also hear her calling up Jimmie to tell him she forgot to mention the secret ingredient. "Garlic, Jimmie. LOTS of garlic."

Ring ring "Oh, and Jimmie. A bay leaf or two also. Don't forget the bay leaf. Be sure to tell your friends how much you liked it as a little boy. Ya coming over again next Sunday, Jimmie?"