Push Pole? | SouthernPaddler.com

Push Pole?

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I recently purchased a Gheenoe; Don't throw me out of the club yet. I still prefer a single paddle craft but needed something with an outboard and the ability to keep the admiral with me when fishing SWFL. However in our ventures I realized the need for a push pole. I have searched the web tirelessly and realized a few things:1) I am not going spend the likes of money on a fiberglass pole that cost almost what an outboard does, 2)I learned canoers use 12ft. wooden dowel tipped with copper caps and hanger bolts and 3) When standing you can paddle across deep stretches using it like a kayak paddle.

All this sounds like I will be making wooden push pole but I want to get your opinions and ideas on the matter.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Closet rods from Home Depot work really well. Sand it down and apply a coat of epoxy if you have it , if not then some paint and let it soak into the wood as a waterproofing agent. A little luck and you would be able to cut the pole to the length you want it when you purchase it , sometimes they have the up to 25 feet.
The ducks foot in the link Ron gave you would be considered a necessity since it opens up when pushed into the weeds or mud to stop it from being pushed way down in that mess and then retracts for easy removal.

Hard to beat a Gheenoe , they are some nice boats. I had one when he 1st put them on the market and ran a 9.9 Merc on it. Car topped it on an old Jeep Station wagon. YEP , the car topping it got to me so I sold the Gheenoe , a big mistake on my part. :oops:

Last trip to the 10,000 Islands part of the Everglades it appeared that the Gheenoe was the boat of choice for fishing the inside around the islands saw a lot of them out on the water.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Chuck, I can imagine the car topping a Gheenoe would get rather old. Mine is a 13'er. 110lbs is a lot to put overhead. I trailer it. What convinced me to get one was after a long day of kayak fishing around the Caxambas Pass, a fella in Gheenoe motored by, pulled up to the same sandbar we had fished, caught his flounder limit and left. We normally fish the upper part of the 10,000 Islands south of Macro, Rookery Bay, and up to Naples Harbor. I have to say it is some the best salt water action but have not tried fishing down in Southern La yet.

The duck bill foot seems to be the way to go. When I work it up I will post some pictures. I think I going use some Watco Tung Oil on it as it has worked great on my homemade paddles.

John

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had the 16 . UGH on car topping it , especially on top of one of the old boxy Jeep Wagoners.

Back in the 60's before the Mackel Brothers came in there , Caxambas Pass was nothing more then the pass with an island in the center of the pass. The road down to it from Marco was up over the dunes and along the beach. It was the place to catch Tarpon , big ones that throw plugs , steal plugs and strip line off a reel so fast you can't stop them. Cast from the beach out to the island on a out or incoming tide ( moving water ) and get ready for a fight.
Ha Ha .... Marco back then had the general store down by the Snook Hole and Big Marco Pass. The only other place was Kelly Gant's Motel Marco with the small cabins and fish house , that and a few homes the locals lived in ( Only a hand full at the most ) was the extent of buildings in Marco. Caught a lot of Snook off his dock and even more out in the bay and all around even down to Goodland and further to Everglades City.
Now when I go down there I can remember what it use to be like and get disgusted so I just paddle a canoe and camp in the wilderness water way. Away from civilization I do fish now and then but the fishing is nothing like it was back then.

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
I made my pushpole out of big bamboo. Used a small propane torch to fast dry it and applied several coats of boiled linseed oil. Made a foot out of a forked cypress branch shaved down to fit inside bamboo foot. Drilled holes and whittled down wooden pins to hold in place. Used paracord to wrap foot to keep foot of bamboo from splitting. Wrapped paracord for handle on top. Been going for about 6 yrs now. Just apply more oil couple times a year.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I thought about the bamboo route also. I have read some people use, don't hold me to this, a guyana tree fork for the foot. I may make two just to play around with it.

Chuck,I loving hearing stories like yours. My Grandfather used tell me tales like yours about area around Savannah. In my selfish youth, I didn't appreciate them.I regret that. I often think what Macro looked like before all the development. I wish I could have experienced what you did. I think sometimes I was born too late to be able see the beauty of those coastal places. I remember going to Destin when I was 10. I remember crossing the emerald water on the bridge from Fort Walton and the sleepy fishing village at bottom of the small bluff. The only hotel was a Holiday Inn. The development put an end to that beauty. I just wish I could find a place so undisturbed

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Goodland had all the building's and homes back them , they must of had 10 or so homes and the one business right at the bridge by the Marco River at the entrance to Goodland.
Next time you are down there just picture one narrow road into Marco from Goodland without any homes , buildings , nothing but palmettos and scrub trees with the sea oats and cactus. You could of loved it , it was wild and something else.

The locals were nothing to mess with.... One guy I know went down there and had a black farm hand with him to row the boat. He arrived at Marco and started to check in the cabin when the locals asked him what he planned on doing with is farm hand. He said he was staying with him and was going to row the boat in the morning so he could fish.
The locals told him that he was more then welcome but if the sun set on his farm hand that would be the last sunset the farm hand would ever see. The guy loaded up his stuff and the farm hand and drove back to Oviedo. That is when Dad and I found out what happen and the guy told us that he was really sure those folks down there were not joking but deadly serious. We agreed that they probably were.

Out fishing everyone had a firearm with them , rifle or pistol and gun shots were the normal thing in that area. You new that for the most part someone was getting some needle fish for snook bait. You go into the shallows of p a shallow creek and as the needle fish swim in front of the boat you take a 28 with wad cutters ( blunt or flat nose bullets ) and shoot right next to the needle fish to stun them. Pick them up and toss them in the bait well , when you think you had enough then go snook fishing.

There was a couple from Miami that would stay at Kelleys and they would take there boat , go across the flats to the far side and by the mangroves there was a deep channel running along there. The boating traffic used the main channel which was on the side closest to Kelleys so basically no one used the channel they were fishing. The would tie off a large rope to the strongest branch on the mangrove and at the end of the rope was a chunk of chain and on the end of the chain was one really big single hook. They would attach a bait fish , about a 5 to 6 pound one and let stay there over night.
In the morning they would go and check there lines and if that mangrove branch was doing a dance they were in for some fun. They set Jew Fish lines ( Called Grouper today ) It was nothing for them to get grouper in the 100 to 250 pound class and sometime even bigger ones. They would bring them back to Kelleys , clean and wrap the meat , then freeze it in Kelleys fish cooler , when they had whatever amount they had decided on , it was loaded up in there vehicle and taken over to Miami and sold. They keep some for themselves and the rest paid for there trip over and expenses.
Before leaving they would always give Dad and Mom a couple packages and that was some good eating. We would give them some snook since they did not fish for snook but liked to eat them.
Kelly had 7 cabins and going down there 2 or 3 times a year you got to know the usual group that would be there around that same time. Hell Dad almost bought the business from Kelley but Kelley changed his mind and decided not to sell.

Back then anything would go , basically there were no rules or limits or lengths on and fish that could be keep. The locals thought we were nuts for snook fishing , as they called them Soap Fish since they tasted like soap when cooked. The mistake they were making as that they did not skin then , they scaled them and fried them. You need to fillet and skin the snook. We explained it to Kelley and had him and his wife for a snook supper , after then the word slowly spread about the snook being a good eating fish besides being fun to catch.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Incredible tales, I was over at Goodland a couple of weeks ago but didn't put the gheenoe because of the 25 knot winds though I would have put the kayak in those conditions. I was shore fishing right on the rubble of the old wooden bridge you must be referring to. They have a nice two lane concrete one now. I have had excellent success on non channel side of the little island in the middle and right in front of the Old Marco Inn (It may be the modern version of Kelly's) where three channels merge into one.

The people have changed a little bit but there is still the old salty element. They don't brother me, and I guess they tolerant my fishing if I don't brother them.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have had excellent success on non channel side of the little island in the middle and right in front of the Old Marco Inn (It may be the modern version of Kelly's) where three channels merge into one.

Yep... Had to take a look at the Google map for that area. Kellys would of been right where Rose Marco River Marina is. He had a "T" Shaped dock and you could cast from it out towards the island. At night the Snook would hold up under his dock and look like cord wood stacked up. Fish all day then fish off the dock till early morning , then go to the cabin get a little sleep and back out. The sleep you got was dictated by the time of the tides. The slack tide was sleeping time.

Up by the new road ( San Marco Road ) there is a small ditch to the north/west on the map going back into the mangroves. At the mouth of that ditch or cut an old timer had a shelter/hut made out of cochena shells , and some sort of a roof on it. He had a small tidal pool in front of it where he would keep any fish he caught till he wanted them for supper.
His transportation was a small kayak which he would paddle down to the store on the outgoing tide to get some groceries and see what was going on , stay at the store till the tide started back in and then paddle back to his shelter/hut. Speculation was he got his Social Security check there so he used it for groceries and a beer.
The old store was right on the tip of the island just before the opening to the Gulf.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Great, great stories. I have not been to Rose Marina yet but I can see where the snook would pile in like cordwood.
My grandfather used to tell me how he and my great uncle,in their youth,in early 1900's, would row out to the barrier islands out from Savannah. He said they made friends with the hermits, brought them supplies, and hunted and fished with them. They would stay out there for whole summer break or about 2.5 months. I am amazed how much freedom he had.