Q#1......more to follow... | SouthernPaddler.com

Q#1......more to follow...

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
I am glassing the sides and bottom of an UJ pirogue and am almost out of cloth (inside allready glassed). However, with some creativity I can make it work, but will have two splices on bottom and at least two on each side. Is this okay or should I just order more cloth, so i could have seemless sides and bottom?

Option 2 is to buy a short length of the fiberglass cloth walmart sells. However it is much heaveir than what I'm using (3.25 oz) and the weave is different and I don't know if it is epoxy compatible. What would you guys do.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Over lap the pieces of the glass and it would be OK. You might have a very slight ridge at the overlap but it is nothing a couple coats of epoxy would not fix.

If it is more then what you like a light sanding would take some of it down but don't cut into the glass to much.

If you don't want to do that and can't get any 3.25 oz (if it is the tight weave ) then some 6 oz would offer the same amount.

I made the mistake on one boat , in order to not have any seams , I used 11 oz , that was all they had in the woven glass. That sure did take the epoxy to fill it in.

My thought and mine alone ...... Stay away from the chopped glass if you want protection for the boat , it is used to build up layers of glass when making a glass boat.

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
wal mart likely sells fiberglass cloth for use with polyester resins(automotive use) not epoxy.

All glass (that I know of) has some sort of coating (called sizing) on the fibers to facilitate weaving. Some sizings are compatable with epoxy, some are not

I'm not really up to date on sizings but I think that volan and silane sizings are compatible with epoxy resins