Q#2.... still more to follow | SouthernPaddler.com

Q#2.... still more to follow

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys. I think this message board is wonderful. I'm from rural Oklahoma and their is no way I could interact w/other builders without a site like this.
I've decided to go ahead and make my "boat of many splices".

Q#2 is do you fiberglass the ribs on the inside, and if so how? I did and its not very pretty. Luckily, I have planned on painting the inside all along.

I'm allready planning boat number 2. My woodworking skills are good, but man do I need to improve my fiberglassing. Boat number two will be much better. At first I was dissapointed with boat #1, but then again I've never done this before, it will still float, its still the coolest thing I've ever made and I don't know anyone else who's ever built a boat, so I guess its not so bad after all. I'll post pics, when I'm done.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry about that ........ :oops: Actually I'm snickering at myself as you will find out reading my response to you.

The ribs are not normally glassed over , the glass runs up to them and then is trimmed so it is flush with the side. Then the junction is lightly filleted (if it is needed to smooth things out) over the fillet that is already there. Normally a coat or two of epoxy does the trick. You did it the hard way.

YEP.. My 1st one I tried the same thing and then said ... NUT'S ... with it and just trimmed the glass at the base of the ribs.

Just a good epoxy saturation on the ribs takes care of them and offers all the protection they need since the ones from Uncle Johns are Cypress.

As we like to say , building one boat is a learning experience , then the rest are a lot easier. Look at it this way , you learned something new and you have a boat to use while you make #2. It dosen't get any better then that. :D

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Hey Tom,
I can't really help you with your build, I am building my first pirogue myself. (It will float, but I am not really happy with it's appearance.)
But these guys (Some of whom have character that is suspect), within this forum, REALLY, know small boat construction!
Pay close attention to JEM, Mick, Jack, and Chuck. (Speak of your character flaws! Those last two! Their opinions are often opposite each other, and both are usually right. They are both too smart for their own good.)
Where in Oklahoma are you? I defected to Texas after 54 years, seven years ago. Of course, 31 years in the OKC area, kind of eased my leaving.
JIm

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
I'm about 100 miles SE of OKC, near Holdenville and Ada. I just finished glassing the bottom. It sure looks better than the inside.
I'm thinking about a kayak for my 2nd build. Any suggestions?
thanks for the replies.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Tom,
I have no suggestion concerning kayak. I've got this thing about a boat that's worn as a garment.
I'm not finish with the first pirogue yet, but I have the wood cut for the second already.
I'm just going to keep making pirogues until I get it right. Then I'm going to build one of JEMs canoes.
If you get a chance, Email me a bag of ribs from Bob's BBQ, on North Broadway in Ada. :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Tom,

re kayak, have a look at this one.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/Laker.php

These are superb boats, easy to build and with performance that has challenged every thing that I thought I understood about boat design.

These boats are so good, that I believe they will form a cult like following. I built the prototype 13 that my wife loved so much that I had to build another one for her. These boats are our favourite kayaks and we have a shed full of other very good boats. 8)

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
thanks for the tip on JEM kayaks. I had found their website and am trying to decide between the freedom and laker.
Which one is easier for a beginner to build?
thanks.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Tom,

I haven't built a Freedom - yet, but at a guess, I would say in levels of difficulty to build, they would be pretty similar.

I have built two Lakers now, both 13 footers.

This was the first. I built it using really ugly, interior grade ply 3mm (1/8") ply. Similar to your Luan only uglier.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2007

My wife, Robin liked this boat so much, that she asked me to build her one. 8)

This is the second build. This time, I used 4mm. (5/32") Gaboon (Okuoume) marine ply. The build was way easier and the boat way better than mine - and mine is a very good boat, if I may say so myself.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2148

I am 6 fet tall and 200 pounds and am probably approaching the upper end of the size limit for the 13 footer. She handles my weight, no problem but does sit a little deep in the water. (I like that - less wind drift) If you are much bigger than I am, I would suggest either of the larger Lakers or the Freedom.

None of these boats are difficult to build and I think they are very suitable. 8) 8)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
She handles my weight, no problem but does sit a little deep in the water. (I like that - less wind drift) If you are much bigger than I am, I would suggest either of the larger Lakers or the Freedom.
Friend madtom,

Before he heads out ta paddle, the High Sheriff eats a extra big bowl of grits. He figgers it makes hiz pirogue set lower in the water 'n cafe women swoon. He iz rite bout the pirogue. The swoonin' likely comes frum the smell, but dont let on. He figgers it iz that Tennessee Ernie charm. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Tom
I might as well muddy the waters to .
I have built a Freedom 15 Laker 13 and the best of the lot to me The T-V
in a kayak configuration.
The Laker is the easiest to build , the Freedom and the T-V about the same in time and difficulty.
My advice is to sit down and decide what you are going to do with this boat, Laker is a great day boat , Throw it in the truck and go,
Freedom is my big water boat ,handles rough water on lakes well and
is very stable.
Ah now the T-V she is my sweetheart rough water does good, fastest boat I own, stable yep like a rock, carry one heck of a load and floats shallow, CAN YOU TELL I LIKE THE T-V
You can't go wrong on any of them
Mick hurry up and get your t_v done I want to see what you think
Ron
Now the laker at 15 6 might be a sweetheart to hummmmmm
Looked in the shed and the wolf"s eyes were glowing