Question? | SouthernPaddler.com

Question?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
For about 15 years I have been deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving. Alway's noticed the dark meat took longer to cook than the white meat. Also noticed the only thing left after the big day was the dark meat.
This year, I want to fry 2 or 3 breasts only, injected with 3 different flavors. I have alway's used the 350 degree and 3 1/2 minutes per pound rule with great success. My question is, have any of you fellows deep fried a breast only? And if you have, did you reduce the frying time just doing a breast since it takes the dark meat took longer with a whole turkey?
While we're on the subject, anybody have a favorite flavor recipe for injecting a turkey? No matter what flavor I used I alway's injected the turkey the night before and it worked well letting the marinade work it's way into the meat.
I got the whole fam damnily coming and I don't want to screw it up by incinerating the breasts.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks's Swampfrier!

OK, keep doing it just like I have been doing it! I'll be think'n of ya Turkey day Swampy when I'm standing out in the yard smelling the ol' buzzard fry away. If your ears start ring'n that means I burn't the breast to a crisp!
Thanks Swamp Guy!

Pirogue

olyaker,
I've been lucky and my turkeys been finishing pretty good.

But, 2 years ago, the father in law and I cooked 6, yes 6 turkeys on thanksgiving. We handed them to some friends and a couple people that needed a leg up.

The toughest part was making sure the oil was kept hot. We had 2 cookers running full bore for the morning. Only one bird was a bit questionable down around the joint.

Just watch that oil temp. But I am preaching to the choir.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Your Right PT!

You are so right Pirogue! The first couple times I did it I found the breast would be done but the joint area was not cooked. The oil temp has to be right around 325 degrees or the bird starts absorbing oil. I now spike the temp of the oil to almost 400 and than drop the bird in and regulate it to 350-360. It's amazing how far the temp drops when you first place the bird in. Thank's for the input. 6 birds! You know what your doing.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
RE: Question.

I don't want to lead anyone astray if they are frying a turkey for the big day next week. I just got back from Sam's Club(Div of Wally World). I bought a Book, ULTIMATE TURKEY FRYER COOKBOOK by Reece Williams. Part of the family that make turkey frying and the marinades big time.Any way, the book sez at 350 degrees, 3 1/2 minutes per pound.
Just the breast 7 1/2 minutes per pound. A whole chicken at that temp is 8 minutes per pound and just the breast, 10 minutes per pound. Why does it take longer to do just the breast VS. the whole buzzard? As one of my 'ol Army buudy's from Texas used to say in a slow drawl, "Hell! I don' know." Just don't want any of you guyz eating raw buzzard if you do it this way.
Anyway I do alot of bitching thru the year, but when I really look back on the year I have alot to be thankful for, gotta remember that!
I'm really thankful I got you guyz or this damn computer would really be dull! Truthfully, you guz have made me laugh, learn and think. Thanks! :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: RE: Question.

oldyaker said:
(SNIP) Why does it take longer to do just the breast VS. the whole buzzard? As one of my 'ol Army buudy's from Texas used to say in a slow drawl, "Hell! I don' know." (SNIP)
Because the breast is thicker and it takes longer for heat to penetrate the extra depth?

Who was it that added breasthooks to his boat? Would they help here?

And, YES, Oldyaker, we DO have a lot to be thankful for. The very fact that we are free to have "thinkful" and "funful" discussions on this forum sez one helluva lot.

A

Anonymous

Re: RE: Question.

Kayak Jack said:
oldyaker said:
(SNIP) Why does it take longer to do just the breast VS. the whole buzzard? (SNIP)
Because the breast is thicker and it takes longer for heat to penetrate the extra depth?
The very fact that we are free to have "thinkful" and "funful" discussions on this forum sez one helluva lot.

Friend Kayak Jack,

So the "whole" buzzard aint got no breast? What kinda dang buzzard iz that? Up ta the Bodine Culinary Institute we never learnt ta cook breastless buzzards. But speakin' a breasts.....sheesh....

I aint the only fella who needs ta wet a paddle. Next thang we'll be talkin' football 'n how them horny frogs aint gwine ta be in no bowl game cuz Jimmy Buffett U. whupped 'em purty good last nite....'er how Michigan better let them Ohio boys win so they kin go play them Okies. Miami put a whuppin' on 'em last year, but that warnt nuthin' like what them Okies liable ta do ta 'em.

best regards,

bearridge

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Big Chickens??

Guys, Allot of the Bubbas around here are frying these big 4-pound chickens..wher they get them I don't know but they are frying allot of them. KAHUNA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

We are having one of those turkey size chickens ...Mr Purdue furnishes them for us at the local Sam's Club.

Don't tell the wife (mine) but I am also going for a walk and will just have to go past the local V.F.W. for a turkey snack. We are having everything there , more food then in the grocery store. :D
Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK Kahuna.

We kind of strayed off subject. Here is a good injector recipe, from my hero, Emeril. There are tons of recipes for marinade and easy to invent your own.

Emerils Cajun Marinade.
2 Tbls. Lea and Perrins worchestershire.
1 tbls crab boil
1/4 cup apple cider
3/4 cup honey
1 bottle beer
1tbls salt
1 tbls allspice
1/2 cup creole seasoning
1/4 teaspn. cayenne pepper
pinch of clove
Mix the hell out it in a blender before injecting turkey
(I'll be injected with beer while I'm cooking outside) :roll:

I also find a great selection of marinades at Gander Mountain, 3-4 bucks for a 16 0z bottle, does a large turkey.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You're right, Elderly Yakker, we did. If we start out on any subject, we gravitate towards food. Conversly, if we start out on food, we go somewhere else. Ever try herding cats?

I like your new sign-off statement. (Pssst - BTW you mispelled Chuck's name. It's spelled "C H U C K" not "T E N T".)