Ready to paint | SouthernPaddler.com

Ready to paint

rsfavor

Apr 28, 2010
I have finished sanding and am now ready to paint the outside of my fiberglassed Uncle John's. I was planning on using an exterior latex primer and paint. Are there any special things I should be concerned with? Thanks.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
As hard as it may be, let that paint cure at LEAST a week, 2 weeks would be better. Latex dries really fast but actually takes longer to properly cure than oil based paints.

Joey

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
I did that once and had to sand the whole ting back down to the epoxy. Found that the moisture from the waterbase paints soaked into some spots of the wood filler and into the wood just below the gunnal ( where the epoxy had not penatrated so well ) and when it got hot the vapors could not escape. So it lifted the paint causing blisters that pealed off later and exposed the onset of some rot. :evil:
Oil base only for me. Its worth the clean up after painting over the clean up after sanding.

rsfavor

Apr 28, 2010
Should I let first coat of paint cure before putting on the second coat? Or just let the finished product cure?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
rsfavor said:
Should I let first coat of paint cure before putting on the second coat? Or just let the finished product cure?

It would be advisable to do the 1st coat and let it cure before doing the 2nd one , Haste makes waste. Worse yet it just makes a real mess if you rush things and then you have to remove everything and start all over again.

Best to not be in a hurry. :D

If you are in a hurry then do the one , let it cure , use the boat and when you are happy with the results and have some time , sand it ( lightly ) and do the other coat.

When I make a boat , I let the epoxy cure for a week or two , sometimes longer , even up to 30 days. Then use the boat to see how it does ....... When I have some down time , it is cleaned , sanded and the varnish is put on the boat. That way all the scratches and dirt is removed. ........ In your case the 2nd coat of paint.

It's just a suggestion , what you decide to do is your choice since you have the boat there to look at and check out the progress.