Redneck boat idea | SouthernPaddler.com

Redneck boat idea

GIMike

Sep 4, 2012
Ok, so I know there are lots of good cheap plans out there to make all kinds of different boats, and I do plan on making some. But I occasionally like to do something different. Something off the wall. So, here's my idea. Schedule 80 PVC frame. Duct tape outer skin (it just comes in so many pretty colors, very strong, and according to Mythbusters, you can make a boat out of it. Flex Seal rubber spray coating stuff (As seen on TV, you can make a boat out of it lol) for the inside of the duct tape. Then, for added strength, great stuff expanding foam for the inside layer. If you can get it somewhat uniform, it should make for a good inside for the boat. Probably sandable and paintable. After all this, it should be VERY lightweight and watertight. Just a random idea going through my head, wanted to see what your thoughts were.

GIMike

Sep 4, 2012
Perhaps metal conduit for the frame instead of PVC? 1" x 10' is $6 at lowes. 6 of those should be more than enough to make the frame methinks....

GIMike

Sep 4, 2012
LOL that's exactly it. I dare to be different. I took a free 82 Honda cb450 and chopped it up and put homemade apehangers and a 3 foot tall exhaust on it.

I think the spray foam would make an excellent material for the inside as it's easily removable with a knife and sandpaper for shaping and it's paintable. I'm gonna try to make a crappy GIMike stick figure type plan in MS Paint during my lunch. Should be enough to get the idea figured out.

GIMike

Sep 4, 2012
here's the frame idea

boatidea.jpg

This is obviously not scaled to size, and my 2 45 degree Ts (actually a pic of a coupling for the purpose of the view/angle of the picture) are turned sideways instead of at 45 degrees, but hopefully it gives you the idea. Not sure if I have too many joints, or not enough, but since PVC is somewhat flexible, I should be able to make an actual boat shape out of it. Probably a dumb idea, but one that's floating around in my head.

GIMike

Sep 4, 2012
That first one is similar to what I had in mind, but I would prefer mine to be used more than once ;) That thing doesn't look like it would do much more than take a picture before it falls apart. The second plastic bottle boat would take too much skill. I don't have that much :D

GIMike

Sep 4, 2012
I had another idea about cutting rectangular holes in the corners of the floor of a 4x8 flatbed trailer, then creating a box on top of the holes, and then once at the lake, slide 55 gallon drums up in the holes so that the trailer would float on top of them. Makeshift pontoon boat :)