Remember the Ramen... or... "Oodles of Noodles" | SouthernPaddler.com

Remember the Ramen... or... "Oodles of Noodles"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I sent this out as a e-mail to the guy's going on the river run .............

Guy's

Just something that you might not of thought of .......... RAMEN NOODLES.
Now before you turn your nose up at them they are a great HOT snack when taking a shore break and if you are a pasta lover like I am then all the better. Plus they cook up in 3 minutes and where can you get a hot meal in 3 minutes.

I tried the Cajun Chicken they just came out with and ..... Whowwwwwwwwww it is warm both ways from the heat and from the spices. :oops:

If you do not want to use there packets of flavoring then you can cook up two packs of the noodles add a can of tomato soup and have a good sgetti supper while on the river ......... or just add a pack (or two) of the noodles to what ever soup you like for a filler and skip the crackers.
I like Cambels Tomato soup and the noodles are a good filler.

Here ya go ............... From there web site.
Ingredients:
1 packet of Ramen- any flavor (I used chicken flavor)
1 packet of powdered tomato cup-of-soup mix
Optional: diced tomato As usual, break up Ramen in a pot of water, bring to a boil, then lower heat and add flavoring. Additionally, add the powdered tomato soup mix. Cook as usual, drain, and eat.
Optional: While Ramen is cooking, grill up some diced tomatoes, and add those to the noodles at the end.

Noodles go with anything.............Ya Know.

Here are some more suggestions for them......... http://mattfischer.com/ramen/

Just something to think about when taking a shore break or even for a supper or mid night snack.
The last trip on the Econ one person was cooking up a batch in his tent around 3 AM for a snack. He was using a alochol stove........ NO ..Not me but I was wishing I would of thought of it. :?

Look at it this way .. they are light (weigh nothing) easy to pack , can be cooked up all sorts of ways , Cost nothing ...... a 12 pack is less then a dollar and some areas a pack of 16 for the same cost.
Kayak Jack suggested this ..
VERY good breakfast for 2 guys on a chilly morning. 2 packs of ramen, 1 can of corned beef.

JARVIS good eatin' - and it will keep you paddling all morning long.

A single pack of ramen cooks up in a GI canteen cup on a fire of a few sticks (or shavings from Chuck's boat)

Kayak Jack

If you have ever gone to a Oriental resturant and gotten the Low Mein Noodles ....guess what ...same thing.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As they say .................... ( Nissin's Top Ramen the "Oodles of Noodles" folks.) :D

" Top Ramen is a dry soup rather than canned. This offers several benefits. One is that the noodles and seasonings are prepared fresh, not reheated. It's easy to store and handle, and is fast and convenient to prepare; that makes it perfect for a quick meal or snack, at home or away. The main benefits are great taste and convenience."

http://www.nissinfoods.com/top.htm

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK, My mind is in the cooking mode............... So look out all of you hikers , paddlers and campers.............. :D

The Ramen noodles come in 15 different flavors so ........... what if a person would get some of the dehydrated goodies from Ms Jean & Sam at Adventure foods http://www.adventurefoods.com/ from there bulk supply. :D

They have everything from Apples to Walnuts in that selection.

Take a pack or two of the Ramen Chicken Noodles with there season pack ... add some Green peas, green beans, corn, carrots and some chicken pieces or Tofu as a protein and you would have one good really thick chicken noodle soup out there in the woods.
All light weight when toting it but something the taste buds would enjoy or better yet use the Ramen Cajun Chicken Noodle mix and then add the rest. Spicy and good.

The same could be done with all of the soup mixes ... just using different ingredients to accompany it and made to suit your taste.

The possibilities are endless.......... :D I will bet even a Beef Stroganoff could be done this way.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuckie,

I followed you all the way up to the tofu. Be advised that no one eats that sruff voluntarily. Remember what Crocodile Dundee said about eating crocodile meat?

"OHHhh yahh, ya can EAt it - but it TAISTES like _ _ it!"

( Jack .... it is a good protein (Heart Happy) subsutitute for fatty meat ...... just hold off till your doctor shakes his finger at you......besides it only picks up the flavor of what ever it is cooked with..... :p Chuck. )

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
The only serious draw back is the salt content.
Even beef strokin off would deter from that stuff....

What's this about a doctor shaking his finger at you? Gadz! If my Doctor of Gastromony did that I would faint! Soy ya better be good... eh?

March has started off to be blustery around here... the Lion ain't sleepin tonight. eh?

Howz that for circumventing the globe about noodles eh?

swampy
( did ya note I have started taking sum french- Canadian lessons?) eh?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Not to get off the subject matter here but .................................... Since Swampy has already done it :wink:

Let me offer you a challenge to your taste buds.

You stop at Mc Donald's at times or Burger King or any of that type of fast food, greasy spoon places, we all do at times.

Here ya go .......... Get a good hamburger bun from a bakery, slice it if not already sliced, on it place some Mayo or your own secret sauce, some lettuce, a slab of onion, same with a tomato and some pickles, a little salt & pepper and a chunk of cheese if you like a cheese burger................ NO MEAT........................

Close it up and take a bite ....................... Do you really know there is not that chunk of very thin fat ( they pass it off as meat) in there??????

If so then add some Burger Tofu scrambles and try it again............

Yep this is from a guy who is doing Pork Steaks for supper with rice and candied yams but the pork will be well rendered or cooked since it is almost 1/2 in thick. Some times ya just have to be bad.

Chuck.

PS .. When I have a burger here at the house that sucker is a good 3/4 or inch thick. When I want meat I want meat. "O" swampy the finger shaking doc is the heart one .

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
sssoooooooooo TOFA is a guilt remedy?
swampy eh?

( Nope .... Just something good for you , if you like good things for your body. It aint what you eat today it is what you ate 10 or more years ago that gets ya.......Think Healthy and cheer up YOU will be eating some on this coming river trip... :D ...& will not even know it ...... Chuck.)
NOTE to self: Don't eat the plate passed by the grey haired gent.... it's been 'fixed' .....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Like Jack say's use just enough water to cook the noodles, shake on some grated Parmesan cheese, a little ground red pepper if you like, and a dash of Italian seasoning. The cheese really kicks it up and a drop or two of good olive oil.

My daughter tried getting me to eat tofu, I did, not crazy about it. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Different strokes for different folks.
I guess tofu is oriental grits? :?

On another culinary note, hate to brag, no not really. :D My son that is going to school and working on becoming the next Emeril Legasse(Food TV). Well, he entered his first Culinary Competition with like 25 other contestants. He won second place in his category and best over all.
I guess it got in his blood when I cooked in some chili cookoffs. Only his stuff is more like what ya see on Iron Chef.
My stuff is like more what ya see in a cast iron pot over a camp stove and a cooler of beers next to it. See, back to chocolate and vanilla, different strokes for different folks! :wink:

Swampy, got a joke about beef stroganoff I'll tell around the fire. Nashville Cat's! :wink:

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Ramen Recipe

We make this recipe all the time. I made it day before yesterday but we double it. Kids don't like the ginger so I add a little soy sauce or teriaki sauce(be careful you can make it too salty) or lite soy sauce(low sodium). I also add garlic. If I don't have green onions I use allot of regular chopped up and cooked with the beef. I noticed Walmart and the grocery stores sell this already cooked beef that is vacuum packed and doesn't have to be refrigerated until open. I guess for camping or canoeing you could also use freeze dried or dehydrated veggies. Here is the recipe. Kahuna

Asian Beef and Noodles

Serves: 4

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
2 cups water
1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed
vegetables
2 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodles
(beef or oriental flavor), broken up
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons chopped scallions

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat until no pink remains, drain
off the excess liquid and remove the beef to a medium bowl. In the same skillet, combine the
water, frozen vegetables, ramen noodles (including the seasoning packets), and the ginger.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the
noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Return the beef to the skillet and add the scallions.
Cook until warmed through, stirring to blend.