RICE | SouthernPaddler.com

RICE

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
I don't know about you guys but I love rice....any kind :!: 8)
Basmati is our favorite. I have discovered a quick and easy camping meal that is pretty good. It is Uncle Ben's "Ready Rice"it can be heated in the pouch in boiling water.
Kahuna

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Kahuna,

Rice iz mitey good eatin' if yer rice aint stripped of the good stuff. The husk gotta go, but strippin' off the bran iz like peelin' the skin off a tater 'er livin' on Twinkies. :wink:

regards,
bearridge
bodine college of nutrition

Boss Paul: That ditch is Boss Kean's ditch. And I told him that dirt in it's your dirt. What's your dirt doin' in his ditch?
Luke: I don't know, Boss.
Boss Paul: You better get in there and get it out, boy.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Rice is a standby of mine - carries well & goes with anything else. Like Br'r Bear, I like rough rice. Chuckie (the one that drools evenly from both sides of his mouth - usually) told me to soak my brown rice all day in a Nalgene bottle. Let it roll around in hte bottom of hte canoe all day. Caveat - pre-measure both rice & water so you know how much more water to add at night.

A favorite way of mine is what I call "rice gloppy". I steam the rice in a plastic bag on Ms Jean's BakePacker gizmo. Add to the raw rice handfuls of garlic, onions, peppers, etc. for flavor, and some lentils and a can of chicken meat for sustenance. JARVIS good eatin!