rowing skiff oars | SouthernPaddler.com

rowing skiff oars

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Typically we'd make oars for the rowing skiff by starting with a couple of 4" X 6" X 9' boards, but after seeing Joey's oars, we decided to scale them down a bit and see how a smaller oar works - if it doesn't work we'll just have to make another pair

We start with a 3" X 6" X 9' board. a rough outline of the oar is cut on a bandsaw

IMG_2611.jpg

The 9' oar is broken down into three 3' sections. The handle is the first section

IMG_2615.jpg

The blade is the third section and the shaft is in the middle

IMG_2614.jpg

from this stage on, it's all hand tools to make the transitions from square or rectangle to the appropriate form.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
We've been busy, just not oar making

Friend Keith's been giving boat driving lessons to my oldest grand daughter

DSC05307.jpg

and we've been looking at old cypress trees that are just shells of their former selves

DSC05310.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Time well spent!!

Ahem... what species of wood was THAT boat made of?? Looks like it might have been harvested from an aluminum tree??

:p

George

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
back to the oars

use a hand plane, drawknife and spokeshave to slowly approach the final shape

the light colred oar is straight off the bandsaw, the darker colored one shows a bit of tweaking

DSC05311.jpg

DSC05312.jpg

DSC05313.jpg

instead of working one section all the way to completion, it's better to work the entire length

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we still working just not on the oars

got sidetracked and had to do a little sawmilling for next year's lumber supply, then stick stack so they'll dry properly, then had to take the firetruck barge out to find more logs......

if we get sidetracked a few more times, we'll be back on the oars

kinda like around here when a thread gets highjacked, it eventually gets back to the original subject

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Bear, we;ve still got that tabletop sitting in the rack if you need it

Bob, lots of folks interested in our scraps. Couple of years ago a feller said he needed a few scrap boards. I was kinda feeling generous that day so I asked what he needed. Well he needed something like 4 1 X 6"s or 2 1 X 12"s ten or twelve feet long. I stopped feeling so generous :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Folks with a handfulla "gimmie" 'n a mouthfulla "much obliged".

Honorable Friend Wannabe San,

I know all of us look alike ta ya'll, but that wuz seedtick, not Keith. We already got folks on here who aint sho there iz two fellas 'er jest one. Would it be eazier fer ya if we call 'em Yin 'n Yang? [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

Education is no substitute for intelligence.  Frank Herbert

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
sometimes we go by Frick and Frack..........

and seriously, most times we don't mind helping folks out. But every once in a while someone crosses that imaginary generosity line that we have.

Right now we've got a feller that we built a boat for and gave him "deal" - really good price

Now he's after another boat and wants a better price than the first one and thinks we're shafting him. Some folks you just can't ever be nice to :D :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
seedtick said:
Now he's after another boat and wants a better price than the first one and thinks we're shafting him. Some folks you just can't ever be nice to
Life iz too short to waste time with folks like that....tell him not ta let the screen door hit him in the ass on hiz way out. [grin]