Rub rails | SouthernPaddler.com

Rub rails

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is your boat , if you want rub rails out of strips of plywood .....WHY NOT.

I would suggest epoxy saturating them really well , especially the inner core of the ply to keep any water from getting in and causing delamination of the wood or dry rot.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Rather than cut a straight sided strip, and then have to bend it to fit the curvature of the boat, try this.

Clamp on a piece (or several if you have to) of plywood to the gunnel. Draw a pencil line on the plywood, along the top edge of the gunnel. Cut it off to fit.

Rather than have the joint in the center, I used a long piece in the center and two short pieces on the ends. That offsets the joints for a bit more strength.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey there Jack you got me to thinking! (Can you hear the cage squeeking?) How about using a wooden dowel for the spacers on the inwales? Is this something anyone has tried? I would think if you cut, say a closet rod dowel of the right diameter into discs and drilled the holes in the center for screws then epoxied them and removed the screws after it dried. Then fill the holes you would have a nice rounded edge to the inside of your spacers. Just doin a litlle thinkin around here boo boo! :idea:

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Interesting idea but I don't see the need for the screws (just a lot more work) use some "C" clamps to hold them in place and save your self a lot of filling and work.

Attach them to the inside and when the epoxy stets up then remove the clamps and epoxy the inside rail to them. It would save on some weight over using the longer pieces of wood as spacers.

Interesting ... Very Interesting. :D

Thinking along those lines why not use some corner molding in place of the fillets , stitch and glue (epoxy ) them into place. Use some fillet material ( epoxy and wood flour) to set them in . stitch them in place and then remove the excess fillet filling. It would require doing small sections at a time but would be something different.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Chuck you took the words out of my mouth. I almost typed at the end of that post, Or you could leave the screws out all together! Great minds at work here ehh? :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
If you pre-mark and cut the rub rails as I suggested, you could lay them flat on a bench and pre-glue your spacers to them. Later, after the glue has set, glue the gunnel and spacer assemblies to the boat, and clamp them in place.

I drilled central holes to make the spacers a bit lighter.

getherdone

Apr 21, 2007
clearwater fl
Sorry for the late post i was at the drag races. I did make it 5 rounds.
Thanks for all the info guys.I did not use ply.Worried about voids.Went
with 1/4x1'3/8 pine from home depot.The only reason i said ply was i've
got 16 feet strips already.I'll post pic's soon.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cctyer said:
Chuck you took the words out of my mouth. I almost typed at the end of that post, Or you could leave the screws out all together! Great minds at work here ehh? :wink:

Great minds such as ours ( a rarity on here) travel the same rivers of thought. The rest of the folks will never know how hard it is to be humble when a person is as great as we are. choke , cough , gasp , gag , snicker , snort.

I don't know why but I'm thinking I just got into a world of chit and drew a large target in the center of my chest an back. :roll: Nut's , Like that one gal in France said when they chopped her head off .... Let'm eat sawdust. :lol: :lol: :lol: ( you having that Paris address made me think of that)

Chuck.
"O" What a tangled web we weave when we have the stinking epoxy set up to fast.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
SHOP NOTE:

I now wrap my portable (or cell) phone in a light weight plastic baggie and keep it handy while I'm working on the boat. Just as I get my gloves all covered with epoxy, the phone will ring. (Is Ma Bell lurking just outside my garage to catch me?)

Now, it's protected and I can answer if I want to, or just let the damned thing ring.