Sailboat Re-furb (or) "What did I get myself into?" | SouthernPaddler.com

Sailboat Re-furb (or) "What did I get myself into?"

WDfrmTN

Here she is:
uneditedphotos156.jpg

uneditedphotos150.jpg

uneditedphotos155.jpg

When Tommy said he had all the hardware, he wasn't kidding!
uneditedphotos160.jpg

Cap'n Karl!
uneditedphotos159.jpg

WDfrmTN

Jack, he was knee & elbow deep in it! :lol:

We got the first good inside wash down done, and got it winched down off the big trailer (too tired & too dark for pics right now). Inventoried parts & hardware, boxed & packed what we won't be meesing with real soon, and started planning how to get the boat up on some horses and overturned in the shop. (Thinking about building me some kind of jack-legged rotisserie :roll: )

WDfrmTN

uneditedphotos150.jpg

As Tommy showed me, someone tried to repair a delam in the port seat/floatation box by injecting some foam, but used expanding foam :!:
Tommy told me about his plans for repairing that, and I'm in total agreement: a "surgical" removal of the inner seat section, cut out the foam, then repair correctly while relaying the seat.

That one section is the ONLY thing other than cosmetic blemishes I can find - and Tommy went over the boat "stem-to-stern & gun'l'-to-gun'l'" with me before we ever loaded her up.

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
Well that's a real beautiful boat, i'll take one like that any day.
Wait...you can see it's me, can't you. :shock:

Don’t forget the idea of running a piece of about 2 or 3 inch glass tape all the way around to reinforce the deck to the sides, or run a fillet of long strand reinforced fiber glass resin from the inside under the deck where it meets the side. Making sure not to 'spooge' the locations where the hardware is to be mounted.
You don’t want to pop the deck loose when you roll her over for basting.
Check that seam line out. I think it is the only weak points. It may be fine and strong as is, but remember, when under sail, this is where all the stress will be applied from the mast. The other point of stress is on the center board trunk, and that is fine.
Keep us up to date, and get Karl a face shield and resporator mask for sanding on that fiber glass, don’t trust one of those paper ones.

WDfrmTN

woodchips said:
Well that's a real beautiful boat, i'll take one like that any day.
Wait...you can see it's me, can't you. :shock:
Heh, ahem...yeah!

woodchips said:
Don’t forget the idea of running a piece of about 2 or 3 inch glass tape all the way around to reinforce the deck to the sides, or run a fillet of long strand reinforced fiber glass resin from the inside under the deck where it meets the side. Making sure not to 'spooge' the locations where the hardware is to be mounted.
You don’t want to pop the deck loose when you roll her over for basting.
Check that seam line out. I think it is the only weak points. It may be fine and strong as is, but remember, when under sail, this is where all the stress will be applied from the mast. The other point of stress is on the center board trunk, and that is fine.
Keep us up to date, and get Karl a face shield and respirator mask for sanding on that fiber glass, don’t trust one of those paper ones.
Yes, I haven't forgotten that. Thinking about doing both, actually - that is, if I can get inside well in all the crannies with 'her bottom-upwards. Karl was surprised at how well the inside cleaned up.
Sails are in the garage drying out.

Oh, hey...do you know the hull # or have the plate with that info? Trying to register it with Cape Cod Builders.

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
I never removed an ID plate, nor can I remember seeing a hull# when I had her all scrubbed and clean. If you call the manufacturers they should be able to give you an approximate year with a discription of the parts, or with some of the part numbers that should be stamped on the hardware. Then they can tell you where on the hull you can locate the hull #. As well as how much the lead ballest weights. My luck the # is on it :oops: . I know its in the shop somewhere, I will look again tomorrow, and when I find it you'll hear your mailman swearing as he chunks it in your mailbox. :D