Sanding and poxy flies... now epoxied flies | SouthernPaddler.com

Sanding and poxy flies... now epoxied flies

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
I have spent the morning sanding. Having arrived home from work at 03:00 this morning I had the day to sleep at home. By mid morning I had had enough of lying around and thought 'BOAT!'

I moved to a nicer neighbourhood a couple of years ago. Quiet leafy streets, some retired folk... and today a man with a random orbital sander :twisted:.

No wonder Mick's resorted to hand sanding. I have tested my ROS and yes, the motor can take continuous use. The flat bottom of a pirogue makes it like sanding a wooden drum. If you manage to hit a sweet spot the whole thing starts resonating. Fortunately it has been really windy today so any dust is now heading towards France. Two and a half hours I sanded for, then found that I couldn't stand up straight :(

Now I have done my epoxy saturation coat and guess what. The flies have come out. Haven't seen a fly all spring and now they turn up.
"Oh look fresh epoxy. Arghh I'm stuck. Noooo he's swiping me with the brush. Aaaarrrrrghhhh all my legs have come off!"
I suspect that there will be fly legs entombed in my boat forever.

Mind you the squirrel was standing 6" from the hull inspecting it when I scared him off. You couldn't just brush in a squirrel... you'd have to sand that off :lol:

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
I sanded the blood off before the epoxy! (nice new hardpoint saw which turned out to be a tad harder than the palm of my hand!).

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have blood in the Katei Bug. Katie & I also put our hand prints in with the date written in. I jsut drew aound fingers etc. with a magic marker pen.

One day, millenia from now, an archeologist will dig up your boat, recapture the DNA from your flies, and create a theme park named "Post-Lithic Pirogue Park". Laura Durn will not star in it.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend double steve,

3:00 a.m.? I reckon ya work in the graveyard? :wink:

Yesterday Miz Bear 'n me went out ta look at some 200 year ole trees 'n mebbe do some shootin'. I been meanin' ta show her how ta handle the Remington 870 with the double ought. Instead she cut daffodils....she makes these.....dang.....some other time I may try ta tell what she does with 'em.

I got this spot in the woods where I cleaned out the underbrush 'n collected some firewood. Miz Bear wuz lookin' at this cedar stump which I been usin' az a bar stool. Next thing she calls out ta come a runnin'.....ta see these insect outlines in the wood. Last week 'er the week before I spent 45 wonderful minutes with a dull machete trimmin' the bark off this stump, but I never seen any bugs skeletons. She counted the legs.....18 on each side.

She spent some time tryin' ta git a good pichur on the multipede. She took the camera, but instead of the 250 year old trees (which take my breath away), she wuz aimin' at the daffodils 'n bugs! Women!!!!

I jest looked at the camera 'n she got a decent pichur of the bug. I aim ta give pichur postin' anuther try soon.

cheerios
bearridge

Former President Bill Clinton said that if his wife, Hillary, is elected president, he will do whatever she wants. You know Bill Clinton -- when he makes a vow to Hillary, you can take that to the bank. Jay Leno

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Bearridge,

Sadly I work in the City and had to mind some computers for the night.

I'd rather build boats!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang......someday ya will piddle. If ya need any pointers, jest give a holler. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Grandson: Grandpapa, is it true that you are the greatest man in the world?
Churchill: Yes. Now bugger off.

JEM

Thought my graphite coating would cure quicker than it did tonight. Boat is too long to move inside by myself when the bottom is still wet and the wifes "errands" are running long.

So I went outside to inspect and I got about 10-15 kamikaze bugs in the graphite. :?

oh well. I still have one last coat on the bottom so they'll be sanded off tomorrow. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yesterday ..... While doing some work on the inside part of the cockpit of the Freedom , had it sanded , put some glass in there , measured it and cut it to fit. ( some 6oz glass on the bottom of the cockpit will save wear and tear on the boat , especially when getting in and out of it with dirty feet )

Pulled it out and re cleaned the inside , then put the glass in and wet it out. Let the boat sit outside the shop (during the middle of the day in the sunlight ) and checking it I had helpers in there for when I go paddling , blind mosquito's epoxyed to the floor.

Today they got sanded and a fresh coat of epoxy. The boat is in the shop while this batch cures. It is a solo boat , not much room for extra paddlers even if they are mosquito's and are the non bitting kind. :lol:

Chuck.