Scarfs on a table saw? | SouthernPaddler.com

Scarfs on a table saw?

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Not sure why no one answered this one for you, so I'll tell you what I know about it.

A scarf joint is usuall made so the length joint itself is 10 to 12 times the thickness of the wood being joined.

Can't say about them all, but my table saw cannot be set to cut at such a shallow angle.

If the wood being scarfed isn't too thick, I suppose you could make some sort of jig to be used with a table saw, as others have done for a circular saw.

Could be that it is less trouble to make the scarf cuts with a plane or sander than it is to make such a jib.

And many seem to prefer any of the variations of the butt joint, anyway.

Hope I didn't simply add to the confusion! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I just can't figure how to cut scarfs in ply on a table saw.

A jig for cutting them in solid timber is a fairly simple thing and depending on the type of glue used. Would probably work well enough. I have seen them made on a band saw this way.

Ahab mate, If you can work out a way to cut scarf in ply on a table saw, please share you knowledge with us. I for one, would be very keen to learn. :D

This is what we need. Blokes thinking outside the square.Without them our boats and methods would never evolve.

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Most table saws will only adjust to 45*. Assuming the scarf was to be 10*, the table would need to be set to 80*. If a jig to carry the timber at 35* to the table was made up to run in the mitre slot and the saw was set to 45*, we have 35* + 45* = 80*. The downside is the jig would need to be reasonably long to carry the 8' lenght of ply.

Cheers Mike

keith

i think your 35 and 45 are not going to the same place, there is a fork in the road. i use a table and a belt sander most of the time. why get complicated. i got a shop full of jigs now. can you do it on a table saw, yea and probably make a sliding miter sled. not for a one time use. later keith

Ahab

Jul 5, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks gents. As I thought more about it, I came to pretty much the same conclusions.
Thought about the bandsaw, but when all things are considered, doing by hand on the bench seems to be the best way to go.
Bathroom's painted, caught up on some work, got a day off today...
Boat time! :D