Seapuppy's latest fishing trip. July 22 off the VA capes | SouthernPaddler.com

Seapuppy's latest fishing trip. July 22 off the VA capes

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I copied this from the General Section and moved it over here for safe keeping. The article is from seapuppy about one of his fishing trips. :D
Chuck.
Hi all,
I am an avid surf fisherman.I chase the big red drum(redfish) out on the VA Capes & Ocracoke Inlet (NC Outer Banks).My aussie pup "Mystic Warrior" fishes with me all the time.We use a zodiac boat(the Seapuppy) to land on rough shoals(sandbars).Anchor the boat & fish,ussally in waist deep water.Tear up the red drum.The fishery is a release fishery for the most part.You're only allowed 1 fish /day between 18-27".All large fish are released.Last year caught 245,59 so far this year.
We have had many encounters with big sharks,mostly Bull Sharks.They pretty much leave us alone but have stolen my stringer 3 times in the last couple of years.
I write stories of my adventures.Please do not take them as a political statement.All they are is an attempt to share my experiances with folks who can't get to the ocean beaches often,for a couple buddies in Iraq,for the older folks who can't fish anymore & for anyone seeking high adventure.

here is my last trip,I hope ya'll enjoy it,

July 22nd off the VA Capes

Friday afternoon prepped the Seapuppy.Byron arrived to give me a hand.He had e-mailed me a few weeks ago sayin' he had read a lot of my stories on the Tradewinds board & was interested in goin' out to the VA Capes for some drumfishin'.We got to know each other,tied new rigs,got all the equiptment shipshape,packed the coolers."Be back at 5am & we'll head out".

I got up about 4:30 & pulled the Seapuppy out to the steet but the Wagoneer would'nt run right so we hooked the Seapuppy to Byron's truck & headed for Oceans East to pick up some more tackle & bait.Bought about 6-8 packs of spots & bunker.Already had some shrimp packed.We headed across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel(CBBT) & down to the creek deep in the marsh.We only have a short window to launch as the morning high tide on the new moon is very low & the water was very low in the narrow creek.We unloaded the Seapuppy,Warrior,Byron & myself loaded up & headed out for the incredible day ahead.The creek is fairly shallow,the engine bumping the muddy bottom we slipped out into the main channel.The wind is blowing 20 knots northwest straight down the channel.I was very disappointed as the forcast had called for breezy Southwest.The sky heavily overcast,the air cool for this time of year.Decided to head east up towards the commercial docks & fish a bit for some seamullets,spots or any other additional bait before headin' out to Smith Inlet.We picked up a couple nice seamullets,spot & a couple very small black bass(of which we released).The fishin' was pretty slow,time to move on.

We made our way around the east end of Raccoon Is. & headed over to the southwest corner of Smith Is.The waves were a choppy 2-4 foot with wind blowin' loads of water over the port side.I pulled the plugs to keep the Seapuppy drained.Every wave was a wall of water comin' over the side ,in no time my eyes were burnin' from all the saltwater,we finnally made our way over to the corner of Smith Island.The last couple trips I caught some nice seamullets in this area.But the direction of the wind would just push us right up to the beach makin' it very difficult to fish this area.

So according to our plan before we left the landing we headed across Smith Inlet across to the big wide bar east of Fishermans Island.The wind has shifted a bit to the west,the inlet 3-5 foot chop we made our way across,workin' our way thru the angry whitecaps & bars.I'm in pure heaven when I'm runnin' whitewater,it's so exciting.Warrior & Byron holdin' each other together hangin' on as the water came over the front & side of the Seapuppy.Found the narrow channel of deep water between the Island & the big wide bar,we made our way to the south end of the large sandbar.

Anchored up the Seapuppy,I cut up about 1/2 of our bait & put a few bottles of water in my soft cooler.Each of us loading up our fanny packs with spare rigs,pliers,knives & other equiptment.We both grabbed 2 medium conventionals & 1 light tackle rod each & walked across the bar out to the shoals off the east side.There are breakers as far as the eye can see & not another boat in sight.The roar of the breakers & the strong wind is deafening,gorgeous drum conditions,the wind still shifting a bit more out of the SSW about 20 kts.I already knew the area from previous trips this spring/summer so we headed out into the rough shoals,Warrior leading the way with her lifejacket on.The first area we stopped I had picked up quite a few drum so I pointed out to Byron where to put his lines."Just throw out to the backside of that far bar & fish just inside of it". Anytime I bring someone out shoalfishin' with me I try to put them in the best spots possible.I catch so many drum I really enjoy watchin' a buddy hook up with one of these big brutes.I walked a bit further north & put my lines up on top of the whitewater bar in front of me.Byron had cast his first rod out & was gettin' his second ready when the clicker screamed on the rig already out.He grabbed the rod,the fish takin' off down the bar & bumping,good sign,probably a nice drum.After about a 15 min. battle he finally got ahold of the fish,a beautiful yearling in the 35" range.He was all smiles,probably the first big drum he has ever caught in waistdeep whitewater.We got her unhooked & got a pic,Byron smilin' from ear to ear"That did'nt take long at all !" as he regouped again & cast back out .I picked up a small bluefish & Warrior took off with it,prancing around just as proud as she could be.Later on we would be wishin' we had kept it for bait.

After a bit all the water in front of us had dropped out .The bars in this area are relatively flat & when the tide drops it does so in a hurry.It was time to walk out a bit further out into the shoals movin' north along the way.Last time I was out here there was a beautiful cut goin' thru the bar so we headed out searchin' for the cut.Arriving there the water got pretty deep so we setup again,the deep cut to my far left.I cast my two big rigs out to the side in the cut,Byron to my right cast out to the deep area in front.Picked up a few more small blues & seamulletts but no more drum.Byron's big rig took off again,the drag just a'sceamin'.After another 15 minute fight he landed another nice yearling in the mid 30" range."Now this is fishin' at it's finest!! " as he fought to get control of the fish in the rough whitewater."Way to go Byron,wear 'em out! Catchem' up bud" I said as I assisted him in gettin'it unhooked & took a pic.

Time to move on again as the tide has dropped further,the wind has shifted a bit more now blowin' out of the SW at 20-25 kts.The waves are gettin' rougher by the minute,beautiful whitewater & strong waves comin' in.We headed further north along the bar & further east.I tried to cut across the big cut but the water was neck deep with the high waves so we walked along a shallow bar & then back out to a pointed area.Deep water on three sides.We're probably a good 1/2 mile out off the large bar now.I set up on the right,Byron to the left.Started messin' with my light tackle rod & caught another nice seamullet,Byron got a small blue,we need 'em as we're startin' to run low on bait.I kept poppin' the light tackle shrimp rig off to my north & suddenly hooked up with a BIG FISH.."Holy Cow ! I got a big one on now!" as the fish took off with me followin' it down the bar.10# test line & #2 bronze hooks I got a big boy on,the fish with the clear advantage.I chased that fish for a good 1/4 mile,sometimes in chest deep water & then walkin' up on another bar,Warrior tagging along.Finnally gettin' it in sight its a 35" red,a couple times gettin' my hand on it,it made a desperate run,the rig breakin' below the top hook."Oh Well,it was a terrific fight while it lasted,the big red wining in the end,Great Battle" What it's all about.I gathered up Warrior & we made our way back to Byron & the rest of rods.Byron goin'"Damn what a great fight,must have been real fun! "

The tide is just about deadlow & we are very low on bait so I decided to head back to the Seapuppy anchored on the backside of the wide exposed bar & bring it on out here.We're probably a mile away from it.Byron stayed with the rods,Warrior & I made the long treck across the shoals & the bar back to the Seapuppy."Boy that was a long haul!" as I got Warrior some fresh water & I grabbed a cold beer to wash all the salt down.Fired up the Seapuppy,made our way down the deep channel along Fisherman's Is. around all the shallow bars & headed back out to Byron.

Pulled the Seapuppy up to within 20 yards of the bar.Cut up a bunch more cutbait & brought Byron a cold beer.The wind is really blowin' now,a good 25-30 kt.SW.The water is startin' to come in very fast.I cast out my big rigs & nailed another big yearling drum once again in the 35" range,my first of the day.Byron caught another also.While he was back at the Seapuppy grabbin' more bait a Big A$$ shark( 6-7' ) swam by no more that 15 foot in front of me! "Holy Cow,I was just out there castin!! "I rebaited,looked all around to make sure where the shark was,waded out & cast again.Bam!,the rods bent way over again,another nice yealing drum again,a 38"er.The fishin' is hot & heavy now but the waves are really comin' in,the Seapuppy fillin' with water as the breakers come in crashin' over the bow.It's about chest deep up on the bar & a good 5-6 foot deep back at the Seapuppy."Time to Go! Let's get the Heck outta here!!

"We rolled everything in,threw everything in the Seapuppy & I tried to fire the engine.It would'nt fire,a strong smell of gas comin' from it.All those big waves beatin' her around,some of the gas in the carb must have flooded into the cylinders.We unanchored & walked it back away from the rough bar back to a shallow one behind us.I pulled & pulled & pulled & the engine would'nt start.Both of us really worn out from this morning I just could'nt pull anymore.I carry to 2 sets of spare spark plugs,Byron held the boat steady & I changed the plugs as the 3 foot breakers were comin' in.First pull the engine fired. "Thank Goodness!!" We decided to run back to the corner of the wide bar to our west,pull up on it & catch our breath,reorganise,eat a little lunch,pump all the water out of the Seapuppy & drink a beer."Wow! What a morning!This is incredible" Byron said,he's done caught 3 big drum this morning,I had 2.
Our break over we decided to got back to our original spot behing the big bar,anchor the Seapuppy & walk back across the bar & finish the day.The wind has shifted even more now to the SE at 30kts & gusting,the sun starting to peak thru for the first time all day..We cast out the big rigs right off the bar,both of us too tired to walk out on into the shoals again like this morning.I started messin' with my light tackle shrimp rigs & hooked another big fish."Big Fish Again !!' as I headed down the bar,my hands full.Got a good look at it,looked like a fat black drum or maybe a big Pompano.Finnally got it up on the beach about 80yards south of the big rigs.Looked back & one of my big rigs was bent way over,Byron took off back down the beach tripped & took a nosedive into the surf..LOL.By the time he got back up & got to the rod the fish had got off.I brought the black drum up as it was a good 30" fish,maybe 12-15 #'s so we put it on the stinger."Finnally a fish to take home for dinner.Rebaited my big rigs & cast out again,in no time at all one bent over again,"Now I got a BIG FISH!!" This drum was strong,the toughest one of the day.Took a good 20 minutes,I finnally landed it a good 200 yards down the beach."Good Lord ! a 48" fish!! What a fighter!" Byron took a picture of it,looked back at his rod bent way over,he hauled back,grabbed the rod & after a spirited battle landed another one at 47". "'WooHoo ! I got me a citation!" Byron high as a kite now.I caught one slot pup so that gave us two fish for the stinger.From then on the blitz was on,both of us caught another citation fish each at 48 & 49 inch & some more nice yearlings along with some big rays mixed in.I landed one ray about 70#'s,after the experiance with Warrior gettin' stung costing me more than $1400 in the last month I just cut the rigs & let 'em go!!.They were the same type of ray,Southern Stingrays with the long tail & that mean ole barb.I kept tellin' Warrior to stay back & she did,no doubt remembering her painfull encounter a month ago.Both Byron & I caught about 6-8 big rays along with the red drums.We finnally ran out of bait,all I had left was one hook out of 4 still on my rigs.Byron had a couple hooks points broke off,the sun droppin' in the sky.

Byron said "Great Day!! Let's go home! " We headed back across the bar,packed up the Seapuppy & took off across Smith Inlet ,a beautiful sunset over the bridge tunnel,the sun just about to dissappear into the dark clouds on the western horizon.It was a good smooth ride in as we were ridin' with the waves & current.We made it back to the creek which was very wide now & flooded with the high tide.Pulled up to the landing & pulled the Seapuppy out of the water & got everything ready for the road.We headed out of the marsh & back across the CBBT both of us completly worn out but exstremly satisfied.We kicked Big Red drum Butt today.Both of us landing 8 big boys each & I had the 30" black drum,along with small blues & seamullets.

A fantastic adventure drew to a close.We got back to the house about 9:30,rolled the Seapuppy into the backyard & he headed home.Hopefully we can go back out in a couple weeks & find 'em again.Byron did very well & I'm sure he got a kick out of wading the bars for the first time.Like I told him,drum fishin' for him will never be the same!

It's not a fishing trip,it's an adventure!!!
Pup

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/ ... 006-10.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/ ... 043-20.jpg

It's not a fishin' trip! It's an adventure!!

fishing.jpg

Seapuppy when your article was posted the picture did not copy over to the forum. It was on the e-mail.....Soooooooooo :D
I hope you don't mind but I copied and resized the picture to fit on here.
Chuck.