searching for Atchafalaya Basin Bateau plan | SouthernPaddler.com

searching for Atchafalaya Basin Bateau plan

bbhere

Dec 9, 2010
boylesboats.com
I have been searching everywhere over the network looking for a plan for this style of vessel

There is some photos of bateau posted throughout this forum but no one have mentioned plan or even offset

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Aside from friend Keith and I, there's only a few folks that I know of that still build them. Also know a few folks that have built them in the past.

No one that I know of ever had a set of written plans or offsets. Of course everyone's bateau was just a litle different, depending on what the user intended to do with it. Someone pushing barges or towing a raft of logs had a different bateau than a fisherman or a moss picker.

That doesn't mean that they don't exist, just means that I've never seen a set

I would be interested in seeing a set of plans if you find one......

JEM

Not plans but a nice picture and some description.

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/FOLKLI ... p?Page=489

bateau.jpg

Another style: http://www.louisianafolklife.org/FOLKLI ... p?Page=484

al_bateau.jpg

Check out : http://boatplans.dk/boat_plans.asp?id=34

TomK

Mar 14, 2010
I don't know if this helps you or not but there's one on display at the Butte LaRose rest area on I-10 (between Lafayette and Baton Rouge).

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I stumbled across a bunch of Bateau pics while looking for an old motor. Don't tell anyone, but methinks I spotted a couple of familiar faces hidden in the pics. Paddle HERE. 8)

Mike

horsepen

Feb 5, 2012
[email protected]

Mr. Butler is quite well-versed in traditional wooden boats of South Louisiana. He's out of Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, LA.
Do a search on "traditional Louisiana wooden boat builders" and see what hits come up.
Good luck.

royscott

May 24, 2012
Hello,
I too am looking for Atchafalaya Basin Bateau plan, and or complete/partial boat for sale. I really want to own one of these, and am having no luck.
Please e-mail: [email protected]

I would be grateful for any help.

Captain Roy Scott

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana
A guy named Orie Mendoza builds these bateaus. Not sure what town he his from but he or his family owns Mendoza Woodcraft, the last number I had for him was 225-776-2765. He might sell you some plans or give you some answers.

Bill

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for the link, Mike. I once fished this area a lot and passed through Bayou Sorrel often. I never knew about these boats being built.

beekeeper

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
I attended the Bayou Teche boat show this past May, there were several of these boats came by water to join us. Very distinctive indeed, there were to have been many more come but local storms precluded that. Great show and hospitable folks down there :!:

MM