Selway Fisher Canoes | SouthernPaddler.com

Selway Fisher Canoes

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yes, two of us. One gave up and scrapped his. ONLY because I'd built other S&G boats did mine come out OK. Their directions SUCK in spades. Design isn't bad, in fact OK. But, unless you've built some S&G boats - not counting a flat bottomed pirogue that will not provide the needed experience - you are risking time and money in my estimation.

Directions of JEM and Pygmy are good. I can't speak for others.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made "the Peterborough" from them. ( 16 feet and 40 pounds. )

canoe%20001.jpg

As Jack said , there directions stink , really stink but they do have some great boats. Luckley I did have a little experience in building wood boats , kayaks and pirogues so that helped me a lot with there plans.

A person who understands the stitch and glue process would not have trouble building the boat , just understanding there instructions.

I must confess , I did diveate from there plans , used thinner wood and trimmed some off each end , about 2 1/2 inches on the height of the bow and stern. I did not want it curving up as high as they said to build them.

So far the canoe has paddle everything from White Water in Arkansas to the swamps in the south and spring fed rivers and still has a lot more miles to go. It is sweet paddling canoe and will take a ton ( relative speaking) of camping gear.

Food for thought..... The Sasquatch 16.5 from Jem Watercraft is longer and narrower and has easy to understand instructions , according to Mick. ( I haven't built one ) Boat Bragging Section of the forum.

Chuck.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
If you already know stitch and glue, go for it. Otherwise pick a different supplier or STUDY Stitch and Glue Boatbuilding by Chris Kulczycki before you begin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Tor,

I bought a couple of Selway's plans before I discovered Jemwatercraft.

Ditto to all the other comments about their build instructions. I didn't even attempt to build the boats I bought the plans. Their instructions really are that bad. I think they have a couple of fine boats though. Chuck's boat is one of them.

If you like the lines of the Peterborough, Have a look at Jem's Sasquatch 16.5 I can guarrantee you that the plans are clear, concise and complete and the build is relatively straight forward.

At the end of it, you will have a Canadian Canoe that, in my opinion, is second to none. Peterborough would have to be very special indeed to even come close to Sasquatch in terms of paddle ease, stability and all round performance. I bloody love my Sasquatch. She is by a darn long shot, the best Canadian Canoe I have ever paddled. :D

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... d=Sas16-33

Tor

Thanks Chaps,

Chuck, isn't that the photo on the website?

I might get the plans anyway, but as this will be only my second build I might still need my hand holding for a while :wink:

I thought the lines looked very like the Sasquatch and I know Matt will eventually get out the plans for the shorter version but I'm impatient to know what the next one will be. Not that I'll be starting it until August as we're heading to the UK mid year (yes Mick, I'm another Pom). I also like the idea of a sailing canoe but know nothing of sailing too, steep learning curve :lol:

Thanks for the feedback.

Tor

JEM

Tor said:
Thanks Chaps,

Chuck, isn't that the photo on the website?

I might get the plans anyway, but as this will be only my second build I might still need my hand holding for a while :wink:

I thought the lines looked very like the Sasquatch and I know Matt will eventually get out the plans for the shorter version but I'm impatient to know what the next one will be. Not that I'll be starting it until August as we're heading to the UK mid year (yes Mick, I'm another Pom). I also like the idea of a sailing canoe but know nothing of sailing too, steep learning curve :lol:

Thanks for the feedback.

Tor

You won't have to wait too long for the shorter Sasquatch (14' x 30").