Shell Key 5-21-04 | SouthernPaddler.com

Shell Key 5-21-04

Pirogue

It’s about 5:10pm; I have changed into paddling clothes and am working my way to my truck thru the warehouse. In my hands I have my office clothes, shoes, 2 MREs, a jug of crystal lite and my keys.

About 2 steps from the door, Jeff catches me. “So, you going out in your canoe?â€Â

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Beautiflully wrote Pirogue. A warm side of us and really spoke to the heart of our outdoor adventures. Sometimes what we see isn't what we seek. And that's the way it should be. Real. Therein lies the answers. The miricles. Thanks for taking us along...

swampy

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Pirogue,

Beautiful account. I saw it all. Liked the part about the bun rabs--gonna have to look them up. The wife would get all mooshy over them. Felt bad for and about the heron. One day I think I burned out the bearings in my Ambassadeur to keep a topwater, silver Rapala underwater and away from a bird bent-Hell-and-determined to take it. I guess those things can happen without fault but it sure puts me off my feed when I see the victims. For sure the Heron was dead if you hadn't come along. Maybe that's why you were "sent" to the island. You could have read at home; you didn't do much fishing; but you rescued the bird and went home. Maybe your job was done?

Perhaps someday I'll get back down to Florida with my own paddler and you can point me to spots like that--sounds great.

"Water roaches", huh? A more apt description I can't imagine. Thanks for the trip to a new place.

Oldtimer

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Throw anuther log on the fire. Mitey fine tale tellin' round here lately.

regards,

bearridge

P.S. I forgot ta tell that I saw some Belted Kingfishers up ta Caroliney. I laughed ta myownself when I wondered if they had any with suspenders. Next fall, I'm gwine ta tote my spyglass up there. Naw....I really mean it this time.

I'm glad a bear didnt git ya! :lol:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bro Bar, if'in yer thinkin bout travelin sum thiz fall, I strongly recoment Canady! I know, I know that ya don't git away frum th' law that long fer one spell, but I got a plan..... ya see you cut out a sellowet o' yerself an place it .............

swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Lord look at the ideas 'n tales! Thick az fleas on brier rabbit. Thats some fine thinkin' gwine on inside yer head.

"You keep thinkin' Butch....that's what yer good at."

regards,

bearridge

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue

All of us go camping just to relax and enjoy life and if something good can become from the trip then it is all that better.

I really like the idea of one fisherman helping a native fisherman in trouble, that was worth the whole trip in my book and I bet he liked the help no matter how hard he fought you. Speaking of books you did have a good one to read while out there camping with the swamp bunnies.

I have read it and really enjoyed it, sheds a whole new light on hiking and camping. I hated to see that you cut your trip short but even one night is better then no nights. It is something that all of us need to just get away from the daily grind and go to our past, fresh air, relaxation, almost good food (I think the Crow liked it for his breakfast) but the after dinner drink should have made up for that, even if you did not get the million from M&M'S but I think you got a lot more then that just by being there.

There are some things that you cannot put a price tag on and you just did one of them like Oldtimer seeing all of those fish on his last trip and he thought they were gone.

Just being out there a person can learn a lot and really relax..... isn't that why we do it?

Chuck.
P.S. you need to try camping with swampy one time ... that is more fun then watching the comedy channel and there are no commerical breaks. :lol:

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Friend Pirougue: (stole that from Bear but it seems so right). That was a beautiful account of your camping, bird rescue trip. Reminds me of a similar rescue I had that I thought you might enjoy. Once upon a time--NO that's not it. This is true, like your story. I live in Cape Canaveral in the winter and fish the surf, the Indian River or the Barge canal between the Indian River and the Banana river depending on the weather, tides, rumors of where their biting or the overwhelming urges that take me to wherever I wind up for the day. About two years ago I was fishing, real early in the morning-all alone- no one else was up that early I guess, on the barge canal where it passes under State highway 3 Just across from the Disney cruise line docking. I was catching lots of little fish, crabs and other stuff not worth keeping and I noticed a pelican with a really big spoon caught in the tender skin part of its bill, with about 10 feet of heavy monifiliment line dragging along from it. The pelican was scavenging for food around me and kept just out of my reach. It was obviously greatly hindered by this extra baggage and looked near starved. I finally caught a few keepers and took them over to the cleaning table. As most pelicans have learned they can get a meal when that big upright animal starts cutting up fish and throwing aways parts of it. He joined me at the table(within easy reach) and tried to grab the fish right out of my hands. I grabbed him by the beak and after getting hit several times by his big wings I got him under my left armpit, holding his beak in my left hand. I finally got my cleaning knife and decided to remove that treble hook from his beak skin(don't know the technical name for it). I cut the skin and removed it. Man did it ever bleed. Like a stuck pig. It was only about a 1/4 inch cut but I learned that I probably should have cut the hooks with my needle nose pliers instead of the cut I made. I let him go and he took off flying and squawking at me cursing with every once of his birdness. I felt good and bad at the same time. But I feel that he at least could make it now and would probably survive. Anyway I still feel like I did my good deed for the day and often wonder if he made it. Thought you'd enjoy that story. Maybe we can canoe together some day and swap more stories. Al Dasen.