Shenandoah River.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Shenandoah River....

A

Anonymous

Schoolmaster Bear Sir! Here is my trip report you required to bring my grade up from the D- you gave me last time. I done tried real hard so I can get my average up to a straight "D", I even laid an apple on your desk with a quart of the finest shine I done found up in them there mountains. A little butt kiss'n never hurt with the "teach".
When I hear of these 23 old female teachers running with these 16 year old boys gett'n in trouble, well shoot, I remember 16 and that was a dream come true! Notice I said F-E-M-A-L-E Schoolmaster Bear!

Anyway, the Shenandoah. Well, late June is beautiful, clear sunny sky's and high temps around 76 degrees for a high and dipping into the 50's for the low's. Sounds like a vacation spot for Rebs this time of year when the A/C goes in a failed condition. The river is pretty calm, I only came across maybe one or two class II rapids, I had some newbies with me so that was plenty. It's a pretty clean and just a pretty river. Not much in the way of man kind on either side but I see evidence of chance along some bank's but there are some really nice stretches of nothing but trees and wildlife. Fishing was great, caught some really nice Smallmouth Bass along with some Bluegill, Rockbass and some other assorted pan fish. I learned something too, down there, they call all the pan fish Perch! Here in Pa., a Perch is a Perch and some pretty fine eat'n I gotta tell ya! We spent a couple great day's on the river and the only scary time was the last 2 miles before our shuttle picked us up. We had a nasty thunderstorm chasing us downriver, we had visions of taking it real easy the last part of trip but mother nature had other ideas. We paddled like hell to the shuttle pick up spot and turned the boat upside down against some forest structure and hid underneath from the lightning until our shuttle ride came, he even came early because he knew it was a nasty storm.
We shared that structure with a hornets nest and kept real quiet, they left us alone 'cause they knew a nasty blow was com'n. All in all a great trip.

We also visited the Front Royal area and Skyline drive, Shenandoah National Park, WOW! First, to start with, Front Royal is a small town caught in the 50's. No Mall, main street has the same stores you would have seen in the 50's, thriving movie house, diners, two barber shops, center of town with a Gazebo in it, people talking to each other on the street asking how Aunt May is doing and let's go fishing this weekend. I expected Barney Fife to be patroling the streets! Floyd was in the barber shop but too busy to give me a haircut, he was telling a fish story.
Front Royal has the Warren Rifles Confederate Museum, it's run by the Daughters of the Confederacy. It was a very nice museum and attended to by a great Southern Lady who wouldn't let us go telling us of the War Between the States and when Jefferson Davis was President. It had artifacts from uniforms and letters of local boys who wore the Grey to other items from Jeff Davis and Stonewall. I seen a pair of butternut trousers with the letters JD on them, Hmmmmmmm!
Also, a pair of combat boots with the letters, CL on them, a double Hmmm!
We also visited the house of Belle Boyd, the famous Belle Boyd, the female Rebel spy who invited Yank Officers to her home and passed anything she heard to Stonewall. Front Royal changed hands three times during the war. She wasn't a bad looker for the time but went thru three husbands. Too much woman for Old Yak!
We took a day and went for a visit to Skyline Drive, THE VIEWS ARE FANTASTIC!!! We also took a hike on the ridge. Great trout fishing as well. Some of the mountains approach 4,000'!!!. It's also cooler on top, almost needed a light jacket. The park is 105 miles long and would take at least 3 hours to drive thru non-stop, but really, it takes alot longer to take it all in. The great thing would be to camp for a night or two or maybe even stay in a lodge for a night.
Back to the Shenandoah River, you can take a short trip of a few miles up to almost 40 miles, your choice. There are outfitters to handle your shuttle. You can camp along shore by getting a permit from the state park service. The fishing licence is only 6.50$ for a 5 day license.
Get out of the hot steamy South and come North to cool off!
A pretty laid back trip and staring into the campfire flames every night with a handful of liabation in my hand. Great trip. Now about them there UFO'sssssss..........................
Grocery shopping in Front Royal, Martins Grocery, hands down!
Diner, LD's on Main
Shuttle service, www.frontroyalcanoe.com; www.downriver.com; www.shenandoahcc.com
A yahoo search will bring up all you need to visit Front Royal and the Shenandoah area.
I'd tell ya how how Front Royal got the name, but that's your homework if you decide to go!

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

Now that warnt so bad, wuz it? Next time ya paddle, dont fergit yer pals stuck at home watchin' the Food Network. I thank ya...........'n all the silent majority thanks ya too. 8)

regards,

bearridge
bodine teachers college

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great Stuff Bro Bear!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain[/quote]

Brr' Bear, I've read a 'lil Sam Clemens, including, Following The Equator. I don't remember that quote, but I'm gonna memorize it!
Thank's, Yak.

A

Anonymous

Re: Great Stuff Bro Bear!

oldyaker said:
I don't remember that quote, but I'm gonna memorize it!

Good. It'll by a test on it come Friday evenin'. :wink:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Oldyaker , you haz done the boys down hare a treemendous duty to pay respects to tht small town up thar. Ya'll did know ya waz in confederate hands when ya went in didn't ya? :lol: :lol:

I have et in thar an haz strolled a tad in town. The Skyway isn't fer the faint o' mind. Travelin at 35 mph ( Limit) it unfolds in what little , actual Wilderness Area left in the east. I haz had fun callin turnkeys frum the pull overs... indeed! Thar was ice onthe walls in April when we went through. Ol' Stonewall march hiz boyz upo an' over those mountains everyday... back then that didn't cost fer a guid like it doesnow... :shock:

Loved the report... those stars are brighter when yer lay'in back starr'in at em alongside a river... That would be a great gathering place for all here... we could elect you as headmaster an all of us stay at yer place fore we paddled!... :lol: :lol:
Lordy! I kin see Mrs Yaker's face now lookin out over her front lawn with all them tents and hammocks! LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldyak would have to head south then fer sure when she commenced to whippin us out of the driveway!
Loved it Jim!
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy

You left out the fact that he found your trousers in that Museum .... Remember the Butternut ones with JD on them ...... Darn he even located my combat boots there .. I told you I wasn't in favor of putting my initials on them.

Now everyone will know we were fighting for the South back then and with all of them Yankees on this forum that aint that smart of a thing to do.

What the nut's .......GRITZ FOREVER......... :p
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Chuck, did we actually fight? I remember that we traded food recipes along the front.... and those clothes were part of a deal for some yellow gritz a boy frum Michigan had.... he took us fer a ride on that trade! He jest didn't want to give up hiz gritz! :shock: Can't recall hiz name ... somethin about a small boat added to hiz first name.... bragged about know'in some guy named Paul Bunyon ..... snored alot .. could hear it clear accross the river... some of the men in hiz outfit said he'd go around at night givin a kiss to all ... they said they never slept good when he was in camp .... If I recall the name I'll give ya a holler.
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice trip and nice report, Jim. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

bearridge said:
(SNIP) Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Good idea. Somone else said something like, "Nobody ever laid on their deathbed and complained because they didn't work more, and stay at the office longer. They always mention not getting out to do more fun things.

Go do some memorable things.

aarongreen123

Mar 16, 2006
trips

never really done any trips, not since i was a really small kid with my dad, so i'm dying to go on one. just a flatwater trip, not into the whitewater stuff. any good ideas? i live in southeastern virginia.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Arron, there are some great places around you to paddle still waters.

If it's not to late for you there will be 4-5 of us paddling in South Carolina starting on Friday April 7 on the Edisto River just off I-95 . If interseted give us a note ( e-mail) and we can get all the collected information right away.

Do you have any of the paddling books ? I have Benner's Paddling Eastern North Carolina and it has been a good help also.

My oldest son is looking to return to the Richmond area and if he does that will open up a lot of opportunities for me to paddle in VA. Yak has family in and near Washington, DC.

Yak, has been in many a river in the mountains .... and his whitewater is not as "bad" as someone elses WW .... ( pssst! watch out fer old bar's wit forgetful memories..) :wink:

swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aaron,

Please go to the "General" section and read my post about the trip in late May on Michigan's Au Sable River. It's a sticky up near the top. If you're interested, I'll send you all the info.

PS: It'll be OK to come on that trip, Old Yaker won't be there, and Dapper Al will. Al will teach you how to fish that river, and I'll teach you how to snore and sing. Jim woulda taught you other skills.