Shishkebabs | SouthernPaddler.com

Shishkebabs

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
This morning, I sliced up a 1 1/2 pound chunk of pork lion into cubes. It's marinating in a gallon Ziploc bag, in about a pint of water, a half pint (maybe a sukosh less) of lemon juice, big handful each of brown sugar and salt, teaspoon or two of ground up rosemary, four tablespoons of dried ginger, and a squirt of EVOO just for Rachel-Baby's good blessing.

I'll oil up some bamboo skewers (careful about splinters - make good torture devices). I'll cook the pork cubes separately of some skewers. Probably will have some left over and will just have to suffer with pork fired rice in a few days.

Veggie skewers will sport chunks of fresh pineapple, grape tomatoes, sweet bell pepper (red, yellow, & orange), onion, & mushroom.

JARVIS good eatin'!!! May have to wash it all down with either some Dago red or Killian's red. Tough duty, but someone's gotta do it.

Left overs from a meal like this are more like planned overs - they easily fit into plans for other meals with but little imagination and a cast iron skillet.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Jack, you spelled sukosh properly, next thing you know, you will be able to pronounce "Sukiaki", or maybe misutaki. Love that misutaki!!
I haven't had any in many years.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
jimsong said:
Jack, you spelled sukosh properly, next thing you know, you will be able to pronounce "Sukiaki", or maybe misutaki. Love that misutaki!!
I haven't had any in many years.
Lived there a few years. Been able to pronounce skee-YOK-ee since my oldest daugter could eat a fried egg with chopsticks.

I'm not familiar with mizutaki. Is the mizu part about water?

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Jack, it's been so long since Mitzi's Japanese restaurant has closed, like about thirty years, I have nearly forgotten what misutaki consists of. I just remember, that I liked it so much, that after working my way through the menu, I had it every Thursday night for four or five years.
The best I can remember, it is thinly sliced, braised beef, with celery, carrot, daikon, bean sprout, onion, a lot of ginger and garlic, and glass noodles.
It was braised in beef broth and soy sauce, and served with raw onion and diced jalapeno
It was served like fajitas. A bowl of rice set in front of me, and a still boiling iron skillet set in the middle of the table.
As an aside, after eating there for six years, I invited a good friend on one Thursday night.
He had lived in Japan for two years, while in the Army. I lived to regret it.
He is a red head.
I had eaten there literally hundreds of times. I knew the menu, I knew the owner, I knew the waitresses and their life stories. This was MY restaurant!
But the night I invited my red headed friend, I might as well have eaten
" to go " Japanese food sitting on the curb outside.
I ordered my usual mizutake, and he ordered tempura. My food was brought to me grudgingly, his was brought by three waitresses, on three large, decorated platters. If he took a sip of tea, one of the girls or Mitzi herself would dart over and fill his cup. I ran out of tea, and couldn't get my teapot refilled. He kindly shared his tea with me, because he couldnt drink the three pots of tea that the staff had brought him.
After we finished eating, two waitresses and Mitzi sat beside him, and they chattered for an hour. Ignoring me, the steady customer.
THEN, Mitzi broke out a bottle of 35 year old Hennesy brandy, and poured a single glass for my (Former) friend! Only on his insistance, did she pour me one. His was four ounces in a crystal stem. Mine was a shot in a teacup!
The whole mob could not keep their hands off of him. They kept petting his hair, and they asked if his pubic hair was the same color.
Every person there was married, except me. But he could have taken all six of them to bed that night!
If I had not ridden to the restaurant with him, I would have left the rat bastard! We were there for four hours! Other customers would come in, and be ignored just like me.
A half hour after they closed, we finally left.
I had to drive his truck, because HE, had drunk a half bottle of brandy. I had had two shots!
As I was taking him home, he told me that this sort of thing had happened often while he was in Japan. Japanese women like red heads.
He is still my friend. We have been friends for 40 years. But the bloom was off the rose, concerning Mitzi's Japanese restaurant.
I ate there less and less, and then she finally locked the doors.
(Probably left her husband, and ran off with a red head!)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Sounds like our experience in Canadian restaurants when we're with Dapper Al. (Michigan Stripper - Al Dasen) Waitresses crawl all over him, and knee us in the nethers.

My daughter was a tow head with blue eyes. Japanese mothers would make all over her, pinch her flesh, muss her hair, and everything.