Shrimp Tempura... | SouthernPaddler.com

Shrimp Tempura...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I've been off a couple of weeks now and enjoying my daily walks in the woods and just enjoying quiet. I havn't made this in awhile and decided to treat Miz Yak to a good dinner last night. So, I reached into the freezer and pulled out another pack of that great Georgia Coastal shrimp.

Shrimp Tempura
(Actually, you can cook fish or veges in it as well)
2 TBS of cornstarch
A cup of flour
Pinch of salt
2 egg whites stiffly beaten
1 yolk of an egg
1 cup of beer, ice cold, VERY COLD!

Stir together flour, corn starch and salt. Make well in center
Combine beer and egg yolk than beat until frothy. Add this to the dry stuff and stir, just moisten the dry stuff. Don't over stir. It's OK to have lumps. Better actually.
Now, just fold in the egg whites, don't beat it up!
Have about 400 degree oil ready.
Dredge and swirl your shrimp(or fish or veges) thru the mix and drop in the oil. It only needs to cook maybe 3 minutes or until it's golden.
(You need to use this batter right away, as it warms, the sticking abilility diminshes. Also, make sure if you do veges, they're pretty dry.)

I like hot sauce on mine but Miz Yak don't like hot stuff, so I make an orange sauce for her to dip the tempura fry into.
I get about 3 tablespoons of orange marmalade, a few shots of soy sauce, and a couple of teaspoons of chili sauce. Heat it in a small sauce pan and stir. Serve in a small bowl next to the tempura fry.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
This is a great recipe, only thing is you need to double the beer. The second beer is to be consumed while your shrimp is cooking. forget the 3 minute timer, once your beer is gone, your dinner is ready.