side bye side test | SouthernPaddler.com

side bye side test

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Darrel and I took a little paddle up the Brazos a couple days ago.
The river was up and moving pretty good in one shallow section
I was watching Darrel in his striper,he was having a much easier time fighting the current than I was,now coming back down my boat seem to excel ,mine is hard chined and Darrels is round ,soft chined.
Ron

JEM

The current was "grabbing" less on his hull when you were going up stream. Allowed his boat to slip through the water easier.

But if you're going with the current, that same current will also slip over his softer chines where as you'll get a little boost from it.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
You were dead on when you posted on your forum about the difference in turbulant water for the cuda 18 and the Otawa of Micks. There was really a noticeable difference.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
So Ron and Matt, what you're saying is that Darrel's Freedom cruises easier at say 3.5 to 4 mph than Ron's Cuda, but the Cuda would probably win in an all out sprint?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
No we are talking about the effect of the round hull verses the hard chined hull,going into the current ,upriver the swift water effected my boat the hard chined T-V much more than Darrels stripper which is sim rounded,but going down stream my boat seemed to be the fastest.
Ron
Ps I think in still water they are pretty close. The Cuda is a whole lot faster than the T-V

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I went fishing a while back and took my GPS for the first time. Coming back into the current with about 25# of fish in a cooler with 10# of ice and fishing gear it wanted to cruise at 3.8 MPH with a top end of 5.2MPH.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
That sounds like great cruising speed, especially against the current. It's a subjective thing, but at that speed, it makes me feel like I'm really getting somewhere. I would be interested to see what it does on a lake with no current. That top speed is pretty darn good too. Sounds like you have a great all-around boat, and it's dang pretty too.

Joey