Side Meat , Salt Pork , White Bacon , Fat Back. | SouthernPaddler.com

Side Meat , Salt Pork , White Bacon , Fat Back.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Call it what you want..........
Side Meat , Salt Pork , White Bacon , Fat Back or just dang good.

It is used for just about anything associated with cooking in the south and for some sandwiches it can't be beat.

For sandwiches ....
Get a good chunk , slice it about 1/4 inch thick , take it and boil it to remove a lot of the salt , rinse and then dry it on a towel. Now drop it in a cast iron pan and cook it like regular bacon.

When it is done , break the rind off the one side and you have some good sandwich fixings to take camping , fishing or for anything as an outdoors snack.

Chuck

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck,

I know that you know that you're then eating lard. Others may not.

If you like a good pork roast done in the oven and when it comes out you start snitching the outside browned and crackly pieces , that is about as close as you can get to it without enjoying the real thing.

It's bacon and a lot better then the tiger striped wimpy stuff most folks eat with there grits an eggs. The stuff was what helped settle the west , everyone going out there had a good supply to add zip in there beans or wild meat. Not even saying having it by itself. :D

Now down here in the south , greens , just aren't greens if there isn't any with them , bean soup , it is a must when making it. It's a little chunk of meat with a ton of flavor.

My guess is that to enjoy the simple pleasure of food then a person had to be hungry one time and I don't mean just missing one meal , hungry as in the real thing. Ya know as when , Turtles , Gators , Beans , Greens , Corn Bread , Grits , Mud Hens (coots) , Rattlesnake , Frog Legs and the rest of the stuff city folk turn there noses up at for a meal taste like chow from a 5 star restaurant.

That always makes me happy since it leaves more for me. Heck I even like Spam and Vienna's , especially Vienna's with some Ritz crackers while sitting on a river bank. :D

Chuck.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Chuck,

Sounds like the same cut of meat that a friend I w*e*r*k with uses to make his pork adobo with. He's from the Philippines and a great cook! I can't get enough of the stuff and he usually serves it up on a bed of Jasmine rice.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
I even like Spam and Vienna's , especially Vienna's with some Ritz crackers while sitting on a river bank. :D Chuck.

You might be a redneck if Your wife keeps a can of Vienna sausage in her purse. :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you a Redneck?

1. How many Vienna Sausages are in a can?

2. What was the number of Richard Petty's car?

3. Bill Dance is good at what?
Fishin'
Huntin'
Line Dancin'

4. Where did Herschel Walker play football (college)?
University of Alabama
University of Georgia
University of Tennessee

5. In cubic inches, how big is the smallest 1966 GM small-block V8?

6. A Cajun is likely to speak what furrin language?
Italian
Spanish
French

7. What is a chigger?
A Texan Cigar
A Redbug
A Tool

8. What is scrapple?
A Medical Tool
A Sausage-like Loaf
A Musical Instrument

9. Where is "The Redneck Riviera?"
Jackson, MS
Baton Rouge, LA
Panama City, FL

10. What's that fuzzy stuff hanging off the oak tree?
Spanish Moss
Leaves
Aligator Hides

11. If you mated a heifer and a steer, what would you get?
A Cow
A Bull
Nothing. A steer has been castrated.

12. Who sang "Your Cheatin' Heart?"
Willie Nelson
George Strait
Hank Williams

13. What are grits made out of?
Corn
Oatmeal
Potatos

14. What is a scuppernong?
A Wild Pig
A Wild Grape
A Wild Goat

15. What color is your John Deere?
Red
Blue
Green

http://www.funnyredneckjokes.com/areyouaredneck.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to tell if you're celebrating a Redneck Thanksgiving - If...

Side dishes include beef jerky and Moon Pies.

Your stuffing secret ingredient comes from the bait shop.

You have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say 'Cool Whip' on the side.

You consider pork and beans to be a gourmet food.

You serve Vienna Sausage as an appetizer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wooooo Hooooo ......Will Doggies .....I got all of the answers right and thanks for reminding me to stop by the bait shop to get some oysters for the turkeys dressing. :wink:

Chuck.
PS. The appetizers are always Vienna's dipped in some Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce , finger licking allowed between dips.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

I mite have figgered out what set yer heart beat off the track. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
shade tree medikle clinic

I would have made a good Pope.  Richard M. Nixon