Snow Snakes | SouthernPaddler.com

Snow Snakes

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, we had us a warm spell last week. I was surprised, because after the mid-winter solace the days are supposed to get longer. And, everybody knows that, when "the days begin to lengthen, and cold begins to strengthen." But, it didn't work that way last week.

So, as some snow began to melt, we could see the snow snakes sneaking around the neighborhood. Being white n all, they're hard to see in the snow. But their skin can't turn to a camouflaging white & brown blotch all that quick, so we could see'em pretty good.

They don't usually bother folks, less'n they get hungry. Then, you have to keep cats and small dogs inside. In summer, I think they turn blue and are blue racers - the kind that chase you if you run or flee if chased. I don't know what they eat when it's cold and deep snow is around, maybe mice that run around under the snow in little tunnels? Or, squirrels maybe?

If ya step on one, they will bite, now n then. Whiskey is a good anteedoat. We have to keep in practice for taking the anteedoat, so every night or two a few of us gather for our survival training. Last week, Fred got such a headache from survival training he swore he'd rather just up n die from a bite. OOOOoooo that gives me the shivers just thinking about dying for a snow snake bite.

They range from upper Michigan clear down to near Kentucky. Last year, I talked with some that had been crawlin around in Kentucky. They allowed as how they'd rather die up north than live down south. (Lot of that going around, ya know.) Got tobacco juice spit on'em down there, and that was at a quiltin bee where only women were at.

I trained one, once. Named it Snakus Frosticus. The snake would come, sit, and stay just like a dog, only lower to the ground. I could throw a dead rat out and that snake'd fetch it. It could bring in a dead chicken too, but not so far cuz they're heavier than a rat. Snakus ran - or crawled - away from home last August. I miss him, or her.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Truthful Jack,

That wuz mitey fine tale tellin'. Not too tall. :mrgreen:

respectfully,
bearridge
bodine poet society

The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Well now I haz to ponder thiz un fer a spell ... see'in how no snake would git up durin a snow storm up thar, I had to re-think sum o' what ol' Jack spouted off....

now sum o' what he sez bout south'in snakes iz pure Gospel .... but sum ain't.... pertick-ly bout not so many down hare frum up thar ... seems many a nawthern snake has gave up on the ice an' snow and slithered on down hare. We see em comin every day ... wit thar packs on thar backs and chiltlins runnin along side .... and hits startin to tick off the local snakes a bit now....

Th' locals claim that these snow birds ( snakes ?) are fillin up all th' swamps round hare. "Gitt'in so that a snake haz to curl up on hizself to make a livin," .... one ol boy said the other day .... "Not to mention the cost o' a piece o' swamp water!"

"If'in hit weren't fer the nice tempetures we have now, we 'd otherwise wake up with them yankee snakes star'in at uz !"

"Now we'uns can be off catchin fish an' rabbits fore they get down hare to soon an' run off all our foods.."

Then I heard an old wise one speak. "Ya'll are talkin bout sumthin that ain't ! Thar ain't no such thang as Snow Snake! That's sum ol' yankee's way o' dreamin bout places that they kan't git to cause o' snow and ice and such. Theyz dreamin' o'days whar they kin wonder wit out freezin thar toes off! ( Sum say they do let out thar mules in that snow cold... maybea that's where the thoughts of snow snake came from .... ya know .... they jest toss thar mules out into th' cold and fore ya knows hit they has come up wit sum insane dream fore they freeze their asses off....) :wink: No way to treat a mule er an ass .... "

Yep ! the Azaleas are in bloom, the dogwoods blossumin ... the peach trees in bloom .... fore to long the tourest will head back up nawth and we kin then have a gatherin .... an talk bout snow snakes .... <censered>

Then the nawtherners come back fer summer.... an' they kan't use the snow fer a reason to be back then!!!
Maybe they iz lookin to take back sum southern snake ????

By the by ... we invite th' snake to the safety meeting .... shotguns an all!

swampy