so far so good.... | SouthernPaddler.com

so far so good....

TX_yakker

Sep 23, 2008
Figured i would throw in some pictures, because everybody likes pictures. I'm to the point where i'm going to start filleting the inside seams, and then i'll practice my glassing on the spare plywood i've got before i start on the boat. Here's some sequence pics
The Frame:
frame.jpg

Starting the rub rails
rubrailsfirst.jpg

Almost had a disaster here. I was bending the rails one at a time even though they were both attached. Down towards the outer ribs, i'm bending and i hear "crack". OH SNAP!! I'm looking and looking to see what broke, and i notice the sidewall on the other side of the rib is slightly cracked, but you cant see a crack. Its just unaturally bent. So i decided then and there i needed to bend both rails at the same time and peg em on the ends. Did that, problem solved.
rubrails.jpg

Waiting for the bottom to dry
bottomgluing.jpg

I borrowed somebodys idea of using a flush bit and routing the bottom edge, saved me tons of time and effort in sanding.
routing.jpg

And here's where i stand now. I started saving the sawdust from grinding down my rub rails so i've got some nice poplar sawdust. I'm gonna start with this tomorrow for the fillets and when i run out i'm just gonna use regular flour. Now for the hard part........the glass!
allsanded.jpg

Its been fun so far

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
TXY looks like it is comin along pretty good so far. Keep us posted. I like the looks of the pirogues I have seen on here looks like another up and comin boat builder.
Joe