Soggy Bottom Lead Fling | SouthernPaddler.com

Soggy Bottom Lead Fling

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yep "Soggy Bottom Lead Fling". Never had an official name for this year''s airgun/camping event, but this is my suggestion.

Soggy, indeed! Most sane members left on Saturday and Sunday, but Bearridge, Bruce and I slogged through amidst tornado warnings and torrential rains until this morning. We spent a harrowing Sunday evening looking at the skies, checking the weather radar on Bruce's I phone , and discussing whether we'd take refuge between the frame members of a large disk harrow or up next to a heavy dirt roller. We could hear the tornado sirens from the neighboring town of Gloster, Ms. several times during the evening.

As usual, we had way too much good food. Seedtick was the resident short order cook for breakfast. Lots of bacon, eggs and some of bearidge's cheese grits was on the menu. Pete fried us up some catfish and boudin balls one night. He also grilled some Fred Flintstone-sized ribeyes over the fire. Blind keith manned the Dutch oven as usual and turned out some great cornbread, yeast rolls and homemade bisquits. Snacking foods consisted of pretzels, chips, oranges, bearidge's special roasted pecans, nacho chips, peanuts, cookies, cakes, pickled peppers, etc. We had a pretty decently stocked bar with various bourbons, whiskies and wines. Adult beverages were only consumed to "group tightening" proportions during shooting sessions . :mrgreen:

I'll let the others chime in.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear called me last night and we were discussing a lot of things , one was this trip.
He said it reminded him of the trip on the Brazos with Ron , Darrell and myself when we had the tornado slid past us and destroy our camp. It appears that you guys had more of the lighting which lasted a lot longer then it did for us on the river.
One good thing is that Bear was in his hammock this time so he just hunkered down in it and let the storm blow by while on the Brazos river it tried to take him and his tent down the sand bar. By the way Bear told me he tried to straighten the tent poles for his Eureka Timberline but is unable to straighten them , the Brazos storm bent them but they are imposable to straighten , says a lot for the power of those storms.

Chuck......