Some Home made Vegetable soup. | SouthernPaddler.com

Some Home made Vegetable soup.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This cooler weather sure increases a persons appetite and what is better then something hot and full of veggies.... We had Chilie the last two nights so now it is veggie time.

Some Home made Vegetable soup.

1. 1 1/2 pounds of stew beef , lean cut.
2. I head of a small cabbage , diced up.
3. 1 nice sweet onion diced up.
4. A couple stalks of celery , diced up
5. Some carrots , diced up.
6. English peas. ( frozen will work )
7. Snap beans or for northerners ... Green beans snapped in chunks about an inch long , same thing.
8. Some whole kernel corn. ( frozen will work)
9. Lima beans. (Frozed will work )
10. A couple of baker potatoes , peeled and dice up in about 3/8 th inch chunks.

A...Put some olive oil in the pot , get it hot and drop the meat in there , stiring it so it browns all the way around , salt and peppered and when you think it is just about right ....add a little white wine to deglaze the pot.
B...Add some water to the meat and the diced up onion then let the whole mess sit and simmer , swim together in the pot.
C..When the onion starts to become transparent then add some water and the cabbage.
After that cooks for a while ( Remember to add water since the water will cook down and you progress , evaporation )
D.. Add the celery , carrots.
E.. When the celery become transparent then add everything but the potatoes and let it simmer for a couple of hours.
F.. Take a spoon and taste it , might need to add some more salt & Pepper depending on your taste.
G..About an hour before it is supper time , dice the potatoes and add them to the soup...(Takes about an hour for them to cook at a simmer)

If you don't have all day to do this then just put everything in a slow cooker , put the lid on and forget it till supper time.
Portions of everything added to it is up to the cook. Plus a big pan of cornbread to accompany it is optional. :D

Left overs are a lot better the next day when all the flavors are combined , even better then when they are cooking.

Chuck.....
If it was just for me it would have Okra in it but the wife hates it ...sooooooooooooooooo :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One thing I forgot to mention............

With a large pot of the Vega Soup and even with the Chile ( Plus some other things I cook up ) there are always some leftovers , that is what I count on. :D :D

I take those and measure them out in a bowl , then put that amount into a zip-lock , roll it and freeze it. When planning to take out on a solo trip I take them with me for supper. Just let them thaw and re-heat them for a good home cooked meal.

A small cooler does the trick and if not using a cooler then just take the frozen meals and roll them in a good amount of newspapers , the more the better , they will keep them for a couple of days , no matter what the article in the paper is. :roll:

Back Packing on foot or paddling in a canoe , put them inside a rolled up sleeping bag or the blanket if you can. If not then the center of the pack is the best choice since everything in it offers some more insulation. Just make sure they are in a zip lock and insulated with the news paper. The more insulation the better and it will let you have them for a longer time.

Beats the Hell out of dehydrated foods.......... :D